Will Polk Monitor XT12 match with Focal Alpha 65 EVO?

Options
theOpSys
theOpSys Posts: 2
Hi everyone,

I ordered the equipment mentioned above, with the intent to use them together, with an audio interface connected to my laptop.

The Focal's are active audio monitors, with TRS and XLR balanced inputs and an RCA unbalanced one, the Polk subwoofer has RCA low level inputs and clip connectors for high level input and output.

By neglecting that the destination of the two equipments is different (one being for studio work and the other for home audition use, from what I understend), I am wondering if there is a way to pair the two.

I would appreciate if you can make it clear for me.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answers

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,190
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You will need some type of Soundcard or dac/preamp with processing capability and subwoofer out. L/R outputs to the focals and sub out to the Polk sub.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,190
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No don’t do that. There is no reason to not go direct from a pre out (via whatever interface you are using) to the line level rca input on the sub. The crossover circuit is active with the rca input on the sub, the pre out from your interface will send a full range signal to the sub and you will use the internal crossover network on the sub. I will tell you either way this is a crude way to manage crossover points. Much easier and more accurate to use a device that will do the processing for you and then bypass the internal sub crossover
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Answers

• theOpSys
    Options
    Thank you for your answer,

I agree, I can do that or connect the Focals to one of the audio interface outputs, and the Polk to another one, but this way I loose the functinality of the crossover filter inside the Polk sub.

Do you think that if I will use two High to Low line signal converters (the ones with wires at one end and with RCA's at the other), connected to the sub's clip connectors inputs/outputs, I woud do something wrong, in terms of risking to broke any of the components involved?