WiFi signal to TV

Options
2»

Comments

• gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 701
    edited November 2023
    Options
    If you get a usb 3 to 10/100/1000mb Ethernet adapter and plug it into your Sony’s usb 3.0 port , disable wifi in the Sonys menu , you will get close to 1gb speed to your tv…
    a usb 2.0 port will get you over 300mb …

The 2 Side ports on Sony are usually 2.0 , bottom port is 3.0.

This should work on any tv , btw.

https://www.howtogeek.com/763255/how-to-add-gigabit-ethernet-to-a-tv-without-it/

I have a Sony OLED as well ..
    Try it , works great !

Bk0hdh1lgs903v.png

billbillw wrote: »
    polrbehr wrote: »
    TVs are not PCs or even cell phones when it comes to download speeds * . Unless newer 4K models have better network cards, I've found that all my TVs top out at 100Mbps no matter what - and they are all fed from Cat5e ethernet cables connected to F/O @ 1Gbps. Fast.com on my laptop, plugged in to the same ethernet jack as the TV, will hit between 500-600Mbps. Maybe I should upgrade all my TVs... :)

* this is just a generalization, not aimed at OP by any means.

I agree. I can pull more than 300Mbps from any of my laptops over wifi, but my TVs struggle to get anything close to 100. Their ethernet ports are usually maxed at 100 also (my 2021 Sony OLED is 100 max). Same goes for my Roku boxes. They are actually faster over wifi than by ethernet, but I prefer to keep them wired for better latency and to cut down on wifi devices.

Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    edited December 2023
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »
    If you get a usb 3 to 10/100/1000mb Ethernet adapter and plug it into your Sony’s usb 3.0 port , disable wifi in the Sonys menu , you will get close to 1gb speed to your tv…

https://www.howtogeek.com/763255/how-to-add-gigabit-ethernet-to-a-tv-without-it/

Try it , works great !

I agree. I can pull more than 300Mbps from any of my laptops over wifi, but my TVs struggle to get anything close to 100. Their ethernet ports are usually maxed at 100 also (my 2021 Sony OLED is 100 max). Same goes for my Roku boxes. They are actually faster over wifi than by ethernet, but I prefer to keep them wired for better latency and to cut down on wifi devices.

I actually bought one of those when I first got my 65A8H in 2021. It didn't work. The TV never recognized it. I guess that model was technically released as a 2020 model, but it was manufactured in summer 2021.
    I later found out that the chip in the 2020 models does not recognize the USB>GigE adapter. The 2021 models and later do. I returned the adapter for a refund. I mostly don't use the Sony's Google TV interface. I use a Roku Ultra which is a better experience for the most part.

For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    I would give that USB>ethernet a try if I ever experienced buffering issues, or any kind of PQ dropoffs. But thus far, I don't, nor do I expect to. Streaming Netflix or Prime or YouTube in any format has been problem-free, and my TVs are older models than @billbillw mentions.
    But for $16, I am curious if it would make a difference. Or maybe I should upgrade to Optimum 2Gb plan? LOL
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    CGTIII wrote: »
    stevep wrote: »
    Forgot to add that 100mbps should be plenty fast enough for 4k60Hz video assuming the error rate is close to 0.

I've read that even 25 Mbps is plenty for each 4K stream. 5 Mbps for each 1080p HD stream. Of course, that's true throughput without packet loss.

True for compressed streams. High quality 4k with multi-channel audio can put upwards to 85mbps but you wouldn't likely stream those from the internet. From a local server it can happen and in that case (yes, special case) it's the link to the last device before HDMI that needs at least that bandwidth.

Lower bandwidth streams can handle more loss as long as the effective BW is higher than stream bit rate.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 701
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »

Try it , works great !

I actually bought one of those when I first got my 65A8H in 2021. It didn't work. The TV never recognized it. I guess that model was technically released as a 2020 model, but it was manufactured in summer 2021.
    I later found out that the chip in the 2020 models does not recognize the USB>GigE adapter. The 2021 models and later do. I returned the adapter for a refund. I mostly don't use the Sony's Google TV interface. I use a Roku Ultra which is a better experience for the most part.

Did you turn off the tv’s wifi ?
    Works fine for me , mines a A8F , year or 2 older than yours ..

Bk
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    Well, we will have to suffer with low speeds until T-Mobile gets their fairly new white box gateway out to the world. Called T-Mobile national sales office and they don't know when one will be available....sheez!

This one has the external antenna jack and while you can take apart the gateway we have and do a slight mod to get external feed, I'm not crazy about trying that and **** something up...then wind up owing T-Mobile $$$. Still, it's tempting to tr it as I am really fed up with DirecTV...up to $115/mo. now.

Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Call DTV and tell them that you are thinking about switching to over the air service....that you are considering canceling. They will direct you to a customer retention department. I did that and they dropped my bill for a year to a much more reasonable rate.

In our case, it didn't work (even with the lower bill incentive) because after 30 some odd years of having them? We are finally canceling our service.

In our case, we had other options though. We will be streaming everything.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    Yea Tom, I have done that almost annually for several years now. But even at $90/mo. to watch the same 4 or 5 channels(they also have dropped 2 of our 4 local channels) and have DVR just isn't worth it.

To put things in perspective, the rates they charge are insane...I read last year they lost a very large number of subscribers(don't recall the actual #) and STILL made a record profit! It's just burns my a** to be a part of those suckers.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.