Any reel to reel guys here?

Options
2»

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options
    @Joey_V is gett'n his learn on . . . Deep rabbit hole

just say WTF . . . ya only live once, Bro!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I still can’t get over how pretty this set up is

Thank you, Joey!
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • Jetmaker737
    Options
    gaziujauebs7.jpg

Crown decks are beautiful, especially that one. Holy cow! Love those big ol' VU meters. Like from a 1950's nuclear power station or something.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,281
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    That’s awesome

I’m a little intimidated by the cost so I’m just looking from afar

You should just buy a studer A820

I need something smaller

I’m looking at the Metaxas tourbillon

Go for the gusto and buy the Papillon!
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,005
    Options
    I inherited about 15 RTR decks from my dad, along with a slew of tapes. Most of the tapes are home-made, dubbed tapes, but there were a fair amount of factory, pre-recorded tapes as well. I sold a few of those tapes here on the forum.

Many of the tape decks are lower-tier, but a few nicer ones are in the bunch.

Akai GX-266D, which has a few nice features:
    rguxj9qjdgq7.jpg

For a more compact design, the Pioneer RT-707 and the Akai GX-77 are kinda cool.
    svhmgnyef6iv.jpg
    ruzycohs0hbn.jpg
    The GX-77 has six heads (three for each direction) :o

As far as playback, the 3.75IPS speed is pretty low-fidelity IME. 7.5IPS can sound decent, but none of my decks are very fancy or modded, and frankly...not calibrated. None of mine will play 15IPS, but my understanding is those can sound quite nice.

As already mentioned by others, finding good tapes in a genre you like might be the biggest challenge, and they are expensive. Tapes stretch over time, and the backings (on some brands/types) will flake-off, especially at this point in their life. Some of the guys here have nice collections of tapes that (no doubt) have been accumulated over DECADES. It would be a shame to sink a lot of money into an RTR deck, but then only be able to find a handful of actual tapes to play. Now, if you plan to RECORD your own tapes, that's a different story B)

Joey, I know you have a few young'uns, and they are probably well-behaved, obedient kids. But remember: one day they will turn into teenagers :#

That's my two cents!

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,066
    Options
    JM Technical Arts is a highly reputable Revox service center run by Jack Clark who was head of Revox Studer service for the US located in Nashville has this deck available:

p50r0m9adpbt.png

That's a nice, useful configuration. When it says "Reproduce EQ adjustments" does that mean user selectable NAB or CCIR (or... whatever); i.e., a switch? If so, that would be pretty ideal, other than lacking 15 ips for playing many masters/low generation backups.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,515
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I don't believe so, however Jack could probably add something like that. Normally the PR99 is a 7.5 and 15 IPS deck and, again, Jack could probably convert it to the higher speed. A different capstan motor or different capstan shaft would have to be changed as well as different playback cards. It does have balanced outputs, but most enthusiasts prefer to use the monitor outputs eliminating the output transformers.
    A rock solid deck.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Since Charles converted my A77 to a high-speed deck, I would imagine the newer ones could be, as well.
    Yeah, that looks like an excellent choice for a hobbyist deck, i.e., playback only... but most of "us" aren't seriously interested in recording
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    I found this
    Neighbor if my uncle and aunt in Illinois

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649995735-new-trx-tourbillon-portable-reel-to-reel-deck/

That’s the Tourbillon

I spoke to the guy two hours the other day. Guy knows more about analog tape than anyone I’ve spoken to.

I’m very interested but I wish my timing and circumstances were better. Tempting though to end the tape aspect of the hobby in one shot.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    Options
  • Wardsweb
    Options
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    Pioneer RT707 and 909

gd1e2xft3mcg.jpg

wwsy2bq7e71t.jpg
  • Wardsweb
    Options
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    @Wardsweb (Luther) in San Antonio has a very nice RtR setup and collection that I have enjoyed with my ears...sublime

Like I said, Luther enjoys his R2R

Great to see you chiming in Luther, hope all is well. I have rented a house in Cibilo for the Luling and Boerne Buc-ee's projects

I need to come by with a couple bottles of wine and say hello

--Ron
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,606
    Options
    Wow! Now that's impressive!!
  • Jetmaker737
    Options
    Beautiful collection. Is that an X-2000M or R?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Wow
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Wardsweb
    Options
    Beautiful collection. Is that an X-2000M or R?

X-2000M

autvnsefi6w7.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I had to snicker at a thread at AK today -- some guy bemoaning the price of cassette decks & tapes. Oy vey. :D

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/starting-to-feel-like-a-sucker-for-buying-a-cassette-deck-in-2023-2024.1047016/

• Jetmaker737
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I had to snicker at a thread at AK today -- some guy bemoaning the price of cassette decks & tapes. Oy vey. :D

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/starting-to-feel-like-a-sucker-for-buying-a-cassette-deck-in-2023-2024.1047016/

The guy is misremembering history a bit in terms of the prices for cassette decks in days of yore. Yeah, there were cheapies. But for instance I have a very nice little Nak RX-202 that I paid $450 for in 2022 (w/ box and manuals). That deck went for $879 in 1982 (according to cassettedecks.org). So in 2022 dollars that's $2,666. The deck runs like a champ (knock on wood) and sounds decent. It also has the cool factor of the UDAR function. So relatively speaking it's a good deal. Cassettes can be had in bulk for a buck each. You have to toss about 25% of them but that's still super cheap.

Cassettes won't impress anyone for audiophile SQ but they're fun for conversation starters and background music at parties. I have a lot of Christmas tapes so it gets a lot of use this time of year.

v6e21v6n29z8.jpg
  • Joey_V
    Options
    @Wardsweb
    if you want to get rid of any of your decks, let me know.
    I don't think we live too far apart
    Thx