The Simaudio Moon Evolution 680d DAC...

Options
Ever since I walked away from the vinyl rabbit-hole and took my rig and listening habits off in a very different direction, I have been searching for a way to get the very best out of digital/server/streaming setups. I had a PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC for several years and sold it off a while back, thinking my Arcam AVR would suffice for two channel digital listening. After hearing other rigs, it became clear that The AVR20 was very good but nowhere near good enough. Enter the Simaudio Moon 380d DSD Neo.

This DAC opened my eyes to what might be possible with digital playback. In many ways, it began to equal the performance of the TriangleART. I was back to enjoying the music again, but from the outset, I knew there was more.

Simaudio builds some of the best gear I have yet heard in the comfort of my home, so I decided to stay within the brand and found a fantastic deal on the Evolution series 680d. This DAC/Streamer combo features the MiND2 control app, which is able to pull my computer based audio and streaming services together for seamless playback from a tablet or I-Pad/I-phone app. The ease of use is something a neophyte like me can understand, and it is a beautiful beast to look at. But we don't buy gear for the looks, do we?

The performance in my system is simply fantastic. from the incredibly detailed lower register all the way to the very top, the 680d has taken listening to levels I did not believe I would see again in my home. One of the topics recently discussed in Tom's thread about servers and digital audio is noise, and I think I finally hear what he is talking about, because the 680d seems to have removed that veil allowing me to hear deeper into the music. Playing something like the opening tracks of the original Jurassic Park soundtrack completely envelopes the room, making it FEEL as if I was in the music hall when John Williams brought the score to life. There is a palpable feel to hearing Sinatra. The Simaudio breathes life into each note. An area that really shines is with brass and woodwind instruments, and electric/acoustic guitars.... more to come on this as I get more familiar with it.

This thing has all the connectivity anyone could ask for. I use coax for spinning discs, asynchronous USB for computer audio, but I must say, using the MiND app and an I-Pad to stream music without using my computer at all is by far the best option for serious listening. Just last week, I would have said exactly the opposite, but the excellent support from the folks at Moon changed all that. Today, one of their support folks spent a full hour on the phone with me, helping me optimize the 680d for best performance. It has been a long time since I experienced that level of dedication from a support team.

Needless to say, I am thrilled with my choice, and am now a firm believer in the potential of going digital. Simaudio has a fan-boy for life.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Good to hear, John. When I downsized and was shopping around for an integrated amp, I talked to a Luxman dealer who steered me away from buying a used Japanese-market integrated. We continued talking about Luxman and other high quality brands and he seemed very enthusiastic about Simaudio as well. I was impressed by the Ace (all in one) that I heard at a local dealer. How wide is the gap between your 680d and the 380d?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,106
    Options
    The law of diminishing returns kicks in here. I would say the 380d DSD is about 80 percent of what the 680d is. Both machines are incredible sounding. If I wanted to go any higher than this, I would first need to look at replacing my speakers, amps and a few other things. Retail on the 380 was about 5k, whereas the retail on the 680 was double that.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,362
    Options
    Sorry, John but I have to strongly disagree with you on this one. Your amps are just fine and do that unit justice.

But, if you want, I can keep them in "storage" for you for the next 10 or 30 years while you explore other amps for no reason at all.😉 I know, I know. Too kind of me to offer free storage. I'm just that kinda guy.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,599
    Options
    They could rest at my house a few weeks to gather the strength to fly again.....to yours Tom
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,616
    Options
    Does this DAC make The Beatles sound good? Asking for a friend.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,106
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Does this DAC make The Beatles sound good? Asking for a friend.

The Get Back sessions are sublime.