Bu Bye ATT DSL

Options
h1bjhahtn9xm.jpeg
I am so smart. I knew this day would come so I ran a length of coax from the drop ceiling to the box in the wifeys office. I even helped the installer run the coax through the basement due I can't half some half installation in the house or I wouldn't be able to sleep all weekend. I should be getting a gig speed so no more streaming drop outs.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    Options
    Belden makes a pure copper conductor coax versus the copper plated steel the cable company gives you

Congrats on the speed upgrade!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    What's DSL?
    ;)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Nobody knows how dsl is still a thing. Very few places don't have
    Much better options.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • polrbehr
    Options
    Passenger pigeon and smoke signals come to mind... :D
    Even plain ol' RG6 was getting me 400Mbps until March 2022; that's when Optimum made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,962
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Nobody knows how dsl is still a thing. Very few places don't have
    Much better options.

We got to a point where we couldn’t take it anymore since ATT doesn’t offer fiber in many areas of the far SW Atlanta burbs. I also loath ATT cell service but we are stuck w that for the time being.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited December 2023
    Options
    So are you getting fiber? Cable? Satellite? Line of Site?
    You didn't say in your post. You just said gig speed.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    Options
    Where he lives, it is probably Comcrap/Xfinity. Good speeds (down at least), but after promo rates end, they make you pay dearly.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • polrbehr
    Options
    Yeah, I am gearing up for March, when my 2 year price lock will come to an end. I do NOT want to go back to AT&T/DirecTV for TV (though I think they are/will no longer be affiliated?), even though I have all the connections and the dish in place. But I am pretty much set on keeping Optimum Fiber even if that price goes up; I don't really care as it's a write-off anyway.

• billbillw
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Yeah, I am gearing up for March, when my 2 year price lock will come to an end. I do NOT want to go back to AT&T/DirecTV for TV (though I think they are/will no longer be affiliated?), even though I have all the connections and the dish in place. But I am pretty much set on keeping Optimum Fiber even if that price goes up; I don't really care as it's a write-off anyway.

Keep the fiber, ditch the TV service. Antenna baby. Or Sling if you really need some ESPN etc. I subscribe to Sling for a month at a time a couple times a year and they usually give me a month for a $20 promo rate. I use it for baseball (TBS) playoffs and college bowl season (ESPN). About to re-sub for the Bowl games. Just need to hold off a few more days so I can get to the CFP final.
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    Team mobile 5g home internet here. I use Samsung tv plus.
    No cost at all. I stopped watching sports years ago. We do
    have netflix. Comcast kept raising my rate. Lots of service
    Disruptions as well. No fiber in my neighborhood. So getting
    Internet for $50 with no caps was the way to go. It holds up
    Multiple video streams at once with no issues, so it's fast
    enough. At&t isn't maintaining their copper backbone, so sooner
    or later they are going to have to give up on dsl. At&t and the
    cable companies are bleeding customers right now.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • billbillw
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Team mobile 5g home internet here. I use Samsung tv plus.
    No cost at all. I stopped watching sports years ago. We do have netflix. Comcast kept raising my rate. Lots of service Disruptions as well. No fiber in my neighborhood. So getting Internet for $50 with no caps was the way to go. It holds up Multiple video streams at once with no issues, so it's fast enough. At&t isn't maintaining their copper backbone, so sooner or later they are going to have to give up on dsl. At&t and the cable companies are bleeding customers right now.

Same T-Mobile 5G service here, but its only $30 for me being a phone user as well. Comcast wanted $200 to run a line, AT&T maxed at 25Mbps here. I will never get fiber because I'm on a short dead end street without enough customers to justify running the fiber lines.
    I get between 200-400Mbps download with T-mobile and 30-60 upload. That upload is better than I ever had with Xfinity. Maybe there is a bit more latency to deal with but its not noticeable. I don't game, but my son does and he doesn't complain.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,962
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Well its a coax cable run to the house via a local outfit called Spectrum. So far so good. DirecTV is going bu bye soon and getting UTube TV, which should be interesting. We will probably never get fiber either since we are at the end of a street with nothing but forrest behind us.
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Well its a coax cable run to the house via a local outfit called Spectrum. So far so good. DirecTV is going bu bye soon and getting UTube TV, which should be interesting. We will probably never get fiber either since we are at the end of a street with nothing but forrest behind us.

Same here, end of street by the Wolf river conservancy.
    The street name is Forest Breeze. An At&t tech came out
    to behind my back fence to work on a neighbors line. He
    had a tough time hacking his way back to the pedestal.
    Hades will freeze over before we see fiber. My last house in
    North Texas had Fios put in 15 years ago. That never went
    down. Comcast was down about once a week. We were on
    an extended outage of a couple of days when a college kid
    came around door to door signing people up for Fios.
    I dragged him in, gave him an ice cold coke and signed up.
    Easiest sales job he ever had.

• polrbehr
    Options
    AT&T would have more success getting people to subscribe to 5G if they actually provided 5G to the areas they claim have it. Like where I live. But they don't. I was told that it's probably because my "old" phone doesn't pick up the signal. Maybe think about boosting the signal then? Or at least change the map of Long Island that's covered in blue, because my iPhone XS gets 5G all day long once I cross into Nassau county and NYC.

And yeah @billbillw, I have given a lot of thought to doing what you suggest about TV. But I am also a die hard Mets fan, and cannot live without SNY. So unless there's a cheaper/free way to get that, I have to keep some kind of service. But for the moment, I am paying about $180/month for both, can't complain about that at all (got Optimum Premiere TV, 420 channels and HBO/Showtime/Starz plus 20 hr cloud DVR).

• billbillw
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    And yeah @billbillw, I have given a lot of thought to doing what you suggest about TV. But I am also a die hard Mets fan, and cannot live without SNY. So unless there's a cheaper/free way to get that, I have to keep some kind of service. But for the moment, I am paying about $180/month for both, can't complain about that at all (got Optimum Premiere TV, 420 channels and HBO/Showtime/Starz plus 20 hr cloud DVR).

Yeah, that was a tough one for me too. I love Braves baseball, but its not worth an extra $100/month to watch them during the regular season. The last few seasons, they have mostly been on Bally Sports South, which makes it hard without a traditional cable subscription. YouTube TV, Sling and most streaming Live TV service don't have a Bally agreement and the Braves are excluded from the Bally stand alone subscription. I think Fubo was the only one to carry Bally.
    Last season, I caught a few regular season games between AppleTV Friday Night baseball, and some Fox national coverage. I had a free MLB subscription compliments of T-Mobile and that lets me watch them in replay if I really really want to see it. Sometimes I listen on the radio, which can be just about as enjoyable.
    I hear Bally is struggling financially big time, and they may loose most of their MLB regional deals. I'll be curious to see where my Braves end up after that. My first 10 years or so in Atlanta, the Braves were mostly watchable on the local OTA TBS broadcast. Then TBS went to cable only and shortly after, we lost most of the OTA Braves broadcasts to RSNs.

• honestaquarian
    Options
    I had to fight with Verizon for two years to get FiOS.
    Fiber is the best way to transmit data, but is also the most expensive way to do it.
    I live in a four unit apartment building and thanks to my efforts over the nearly thirty years that I've been here I can choose between Comcast, Astound (RCN) and FiOS. I had been very happy with RCN for six years, but when FiOS FINALLY became available to me I jumped and haven't looked back. I still have my Arris DOCIS 3.1 modem though just in case I ever want to go back to cable.......................