Any reel to reel guys here?

Options
Looking for some camaraderie. Any R2R guys here?
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Hey Joey. I'm one of those guys. I'm running a TEAC A-6100. It plays both 2- and 4-track tapes and records in 2-track. I have done approximately zero recording, lol. I collect old pre-recorded tapes from the 50's and 60's. Jazz and Classical. Do you have a deck? Here's my rig and tapes.

98pre2wv6qmt.jpg
    mll7k7s6nzf9.jpg
    7uxtjb93s9mi.jpg

SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    That’s amazing
    Looks so clean and I bet the sound is fantastic
    I’m just looking into maybe acquiring one one of these days
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    That’s amazing
    Looks so clean and I bet the sound is fantastic
    I’m just looking into maybe acquiring one one of these days

You had better get REAL friendly with Ken @SeleniumFalcon and figure out which kind of booze he is enamored with.......

B)B)
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    The Teac deck is a beauty, no doubt about it. How does that Dizzy tape sound? Great collection of 2 track tapes! Very nice!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited December 2023
    Options
    yup.
    No big-league decks here, but a couple of decent prosumer/radio station level decks.

16339299011_45bb54abaf_b.jpg

I got three of these from a local radio station; kept the best one and gave away the other two (including their carts, probably the best part in the case of the other two). These will never turn any audiophiles' heads without a lot of work, but they're dependable, solid, fairly flexible and not bad at all from an audio perspective.

15256338064_3bf36bba8f_b.jpg

Charles "Stellavox" King kindly synthesized this A77 for me as a two-track high speed deck using the parts of three organ donors (two I had and one which he sourced for the project). It offers really excellent performance (measurably and audibly), even though nobody's gonna be impressed by a mere A77. ;)

10869455273_a21394cddb_c.jpg

The TASCAM is a nice, solid 4-track high-speed (15/7.5 ips) deck, but it will only take 7 inch reels.
    The RT-909 is a nice prosumer deck but currently needs some mechanical attention (the tension rollers need to be cleaned & re-filled with silicone damping fluid -- it's a thing with these decks at this late date).

... and I know some guys... But that's another story for another time. B)

Oh, I do have a bunch of much lesser consumer decks, mostly mechanically controlled, one motor decks -- really not more than toys in this day and age. Many were acquired from good friends and have gobs of sentimental value. I do have a couple of three-motor TEACs and an interesing three-motor EICO (I don't know who built the transport that they used), but they're likewise pretty unremarkable.

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    I had this Technics RS-1500 for a couple of years. Decided to sell it about 18 months ago. Did not
    purchase any of the very high quality pre-recoded 15 ips tapes but wanted to. I researched what I wanted and what it would take I decided it was a very deep rabbit hole and I backed away.

My dad has 4 R2R’s. A Tascam BR-20, nice machine, Teac XR-10, Pioneer 909, Otari I forget the model. He also has some cassettes one being a Nakamichi ZX-7.

v05fycroxcza.png

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Joey_V
    Options
    That’s awesome

I’m a little intimidated by the cost so I’m just looking from afar
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    @Wardsweb (Luther) in San Antonio has a very nice RtR setup and collection that I have enjoyed with my ears...sublime
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    That’s awesome

You should just buy a studer A820
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2023
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    That’s awesome

Or a nice ATR. :)

k6evjiubm9t8.png

Note the very nice A80 peekin' out from behind the ATR :) The A80 was playing when the photo was taken.

• Jetmaker737
    Options
    The Teac deck is a beauty, no doubt about it. How does that Dizzy tape sound? Great collection of 2 track tapes! Very nice!

@SeleniumFalcon, The Dizzy tape is fantastic. I just got it a couple of weeks ago. Really nice live recording. Pinpoint imaging and wide soundstage. The first track started off a little muffled and dark but quickly opened up and was a real pleasure to listen to. The trumpet playing is of course phenomenal with some cool sax work and even some electric guitar. Each side of the tape is intro'd and outro'd with the sounds of waves and people at the beach which I thought was a nice touch (it was recorded live in Antibes).
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • Joey_V
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    That’s awesome

I need something smaller

I’m looking at the Metaxas tourbillon
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,346
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I was offered an extremely nice RTR deck a couple of years ago (for free) because the cat knew how much I dig audio reproduction. I turned it down, only because I knew the price of quality RTR tapes.

You think digital and LP reproduction gear is expensive? HA!

The rabbit hole is DEEP, DEEP, DEEP with this one. Although, it is arguably the very best in reproduction.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Joey_V
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I was offered an extremely nice RTR deck a couple of years ago (for free) because the cat knew how much I dig audio reproduction. I turned it down, only because I knew the price of quality RTR tapes.

You think digital and LP reproduction gear is expensive? HA!

The rabbit hole is DEEP, DEEP, DEEP with this one. Although, it is arguably the very best in reproduction.

Tom

In heavily considering the Tourbillon
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    @Jetmaker737 thanks for the review, I have seen it on eBay and thought hard about getting it. Now I will.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    @Joey_V I can highly recommend Steve R. Smith at Myriad Magnetics: https://www.myriadmagnetic.com located in Philadelphia. I bought a deck from him and he was excellent in finding the right one for my budget. I can send you his email address via PM if you want. He's an audiophile and knows both the mechanical and aesthetic side of getting into tape. If you're looking for compact size the Nagra T-Audio might be a consideration. Steve had several in his shop when I was there, I believe it is his personal favorite.

94up3vav3qqy.png
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    @Joey_V I can highly recommend Steve R. Smith at Myriad Magnetics: https://www.myriadmagnetic.com located in Philadelphia. I bought a deck from him and he was excellent in finding the right one for my budget. I can send you his email address via PM if you want. He's an audiophile and knows both the mechanical and aesthetic side of getting into tape. If you're looking for compact size the Nagra T-Audio might be a consideration. Steve had several in his shop when I was there, I believe it is his personal favorite.

94up3vav3qqy.png

I think I am in love.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I still wouldn't kick a Stellavox out for eating crackers in the hifi loft, though. B)

12542869995_81cf78b600_c.jpg

This one belongs to Charles King.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    0a030na3wugt.jpg

The SP7 at work.
  • Jetmaker737
    Options

[I'm] heavily considering the Tourbillon

That is a gorgeous machine. No price mentioned on the website that I could find. If you have to ask you can't afford it, lol.

k8f8rnk8n3aa.png

• Joey_V
    Options
    I would not buy new if I can help it
  • Joey_V
    Options
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Are there any good heads in current production?
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    better than Under It
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Yes, there are a few: AM Belgium, Applied Magnetics, Woelke, Flux Magnetics and Saki. Also, JRF Magnetic Sciences can re-lap existing heads and carries a supply of Nortronics heads.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    I believe the Tourbillion playback only deck in most basic version is around $49,000.00 and for a record and playback version add $10,000.00.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    JM Technical Arts is a highly reputable Revox service center run by Jack Clark who was head of Revox Studer service for the US located in Nashville has this deck available:

p50r0m9adpbt.png