Alternate purchase mechanism to buy a piece of gear

Options
2»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    We've come up with a solution for payment. I'm sending 1/2 and he'll send the unit. When it arrives and I check it out, I'll send the other 1/2 payment. That way trust goes both ways and we both have skin in the game. Total cost w/ shipping is $740usd.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    Escrow fees would have been $150. It's the wire fees that are ridiculously expensive. Also he's in a different Country so those are international fees.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    invalid wrote: »
    billbillw wrote: »

I also think that shipping Canada Post/USPS is better than using FedEx or UPS for these private transactions across the border. The key is the custom form the seller fills out. Keep the value under $800 and note the item is used. Its almost like the non-Government shippers look for any way possible to extract more $.

The preamp and DAC I bought were shipped Canada Post/USPS and it cost $70 for each item, not too bad all the way from British Columbia to Michigan.

For shipping or duty fees and taxes? This a heavy dac and I think it's about $73 to ship. Seller is going to find out, but honestly I've asked him several times and he keeps staying duty is on the buyer. But he won't/can't seem to give me any info.

The $70 was all that was charged over the price of the equipment, but both purchases were just under $800 each
  • heiney9
    Options
    So the $70 was a duty fee or tax?
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    Options
    Brock, I think he is saying that was the shipping cost. There should never be duty on something that is valued under $800.

The seller doesn't have control over duty because that is something that the US Govt charges at Customs, if applicable, but for the value you mentioned above, there shouldn't be a concern as long as the seller fills out the forms correctly at the Canadian Post office (I hope that's how you agreed to ship). Run on sentence, I know... :#
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    edited November 2023
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    So the $70 was a duty fee or tax?

That was the whole enchilada, shipping, tax and duty fee, because there was only shipping cost, being under $800.
  • smartie_panta
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    If customs opens a package they will seal it back up with tape indicating it has been inspected.

I've purchased two items from Canada and sold two items shipped to Canada. Three of the four were opened by customs. (One of them I shipped was not, or at least the buyer never told me it was.) As @F1nut said, you can tell, as they tape it up with clearly marked tape indicating such. One of the items I received opened was really poorly repacked, but it was not damaged upon arrival, thankfully. The other one looked like they literally just cut it open and immediately retaped it. (I don't know the condition of the one I shipped, except the buyer simply told me it had been opened by customs, and that was it; no problems.) I think it's YMMV regarding how much "inspecting" they do at the border. I figured they just x-ray everything these days like at the airport. Maybe my .750 batting average is just unlucky.

Sounds like you found a solution. Good luck!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Last time I had purchased an item from Canada it was a $3k integrated

It was shipped via UPS
    UPS later sent me a duty tax bill for $87

I know if the item is manufactured in Canada there are no duty fees
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Hopefully you have a happy ending.
    Randy/Maine
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Hehehe...we all could only wish that....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
  • heiney9
    Options
    The seller was able to create an invoice from Canadian Audio Mart so hopefully that will help. At this point it is what it is. The seller has really gone out of his way to meet me 1/2 way.

I came up with me sending half the payment and then he sends the unit. When it arrives and I hook it up then I send the other 1/2 payment. The escrow service was just too expensive especially since the seller was outside the US. If this was something super exotic and rare I'd spend for the fees.

EE Mini Max Supreme Dac w/mods. I wanted to replace my EE Mini Max Plus Dac with the Supreme because it does DSD and it displayed the file type and bit rate. It also has some circuit revisions that improve it.

I absolutely love my Dac Plus and the Supreme should similar but be even better. Uses paralleled Sabre ESS9018 dac chps

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/650036682-eastern-electric-minimax-dac-supreme-with-major-upgrades-by-dan-santoni/

I have the DEXA discrete op-amps in mine also, that was a game changer.

H9