Technically feasible…

Options
From a USAF tech group on Facebook I’m in:
Sent my third roomate to get a buffer amplifier.
Not to be confused with Non-inverting operational amplifier Buffer amplifier or Voltage follower.
tdu1pb1qjazl.jpeg
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,650
    Options
    WOW THAT IS PURPLE !!!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,554
    Options
    Are you guys running that buffer on CARPET?!?

Frame #2: Floor Buffer Torque Test Results. Buffer only, bodies not pictured.
    Presumed flung off frame.

Frame #3: Drywall Repair; two major areas, both in outlines of Wile E. Coyote
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,135
    edited November 2023
    Options
    When I was in sixth grade, we (the - small - class) decided to do a good work for the school and clean our classroom floor. We got the floor buffer polisher thing out of the (unlocked*) janitor's closet, schlepped it to our classroom, plugged it in, and turned it on. The problem was than none of us was really tall enough to hold the buffer at the right angle (i.e., no angle) with respect to the floor. Switching it on with the pad not flat to the floor produces a centrifuge of sorts, swinging the hapless operator around rather wildly. As I recall, we ended up with three or four of us pushed down on the motor housing in the front while one unlucky volunteer operated the controls. It was hilarious.
    I have no recollection, at this late date, as to how we managed to do all of this unsupervised -- but it really, truly did happen.
    Options
    Good thing the plaster was tough back then Doc OR there could have been body inpressions on the walls. :D
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2023
    Options
    It was kind of an ad hoc community service project that we dreamed up for the school as we were moving towards graduation... we were allowed a remarkable amount of autonomy in those days and at that school (Saint John's Christian Day School, 3rd and Washburn in lovely Brooklyn, MD).
  • msg
    Options
    Sounds like the kind of place where mad scientists are grown.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,720
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Sounds like the kind of place where LONG EYEBROWS are grown.
    *fixed

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Sounds like the kind of place where mad scientists are grown.
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Sounds like the kind of place where LONG EYEBROWS are grown.
    *fixed

Guilty as charged.

Funny thing. There was a kid in my neighborhood who was a couple of years younger than me -- one of my cousin's best friends. Years later, when I was in grad school... he showed up at Hopkins as an entering grad student in my department to work in the lab of a professor studying hallucinogenic drugs. Can't make this stuff up.
    Oh, one of the admins in that department (who I think may still be working there, in fact) was our across the street neighbor when I was growing up. @tonyp063 almost certainly knows her. Indeed, we were in the same class in grade school -- yes, at St. John's. IN FACT, her father drove the school bus on Sunday mornings (!?!) to pick up kids for Sunday school.
    No, I wasn't one of the indoctrinees. I was a heathen in those days. :|

Ahh, memories...
  • msg
    Options
    Lol, I can't imagine a version of a heathen Doc Hardy. Tell more stories.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Lol, I can't imagine a version of a heathen Doc Hardy. Tell more stories.

Another time, grasshopper... another time...
    B)

I will say that folks at church always enjoy it when I quote the Grateful Dead or Pink Floyd in Bible studies that I'm leading*. :#

puwys37bujxv.png

From National Lampoon, Dec. 1974. I will mention, wholly on-topic, that my fellow JHU alum P.J. O'Rourke** apparently wrote this comic strip. :D

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @mhardy6647
    Oh, one of the admins in that department (who I think may still be working there, in fact)

If it's who I think you are referring to, she & her sister Norma just retired this past summer along with me
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Nope, not her (them) -- and I somehow missed that you retired! Or maybe I just forgot. I knew you were close!
    My childhood neighbor, like me, had no siblings.