NON COMMON GROUND LEGEND ! L800

Options
HELP PLEASE ! I Need to know if they fixed the issue with the Legend L800 speakers with the non common Ground issue that the older 2.3TL had years ago! Can i hook up My Non common ground mono amp's without strapping the Negative speaker post together?

Best Answer

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    Polk CS leaves much to be desired these days. My L800/Carver mono setup has full volume from the dimensional arrays. SDA is NOT affected by non-common ground issues. It is only “balanced differential” designs that cause issues.

I speak from experience on this, whereas the CS from the Philippines has no clue about their product lines…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    As long as it is not a balanced differential design, yes. Which amp ?
  • FADETOBLACKOG
    Options
    Adcom🍾 565 fully restored and recapped!
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Adcom🍾 565 fully restored and recapped!

Well if you had them strapped previously I'm guessing they are not the differential design. I'm not totally positive, I'm guessing the differential design may not like the negatives strapped.
  • FADETOBLACKOG
    Options
    The amplifier is unbalanced. I just checked with the gentleman that worked on them.
  • FADETOBLACKOG
    Options
    I’m gonna need a more definite answer so if anybody else out there sees this, please let me know. I don’t feel like frying my amplifier and speakers. I did that about 35 years ago with the SDA 1c . Called Polk and they didn’t even know what non-common ground or common ground amplifier was. Wow how things have changed with this company.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I run monoblock tube amps and L800’s without any troubles. They sound amazing together
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • FADETOBLACKOG
    Options
    what kind you run?
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Custom built Carver Ravens

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,696
    Options
    41,174 what? If that number represents the current number of e-mails in an account, someone needs help.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    I know of folks with over 300k unread emails.... 41k is beginner level
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Check continuity between chassis ground and left speaker ground. Do the same for the right speaker. If one of them has no continuity that's differential balanced.

I think. Well I'm at least 50% sure anyway
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,696
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I know of folks with over 300k unread emails.... 41k is beginner level

They should be culled.
  • FADETOBLACKOG
    Options
    The information was obtained from a level three technical assistance technician. I went from the original person that picked up the phone to her supervisor to his tech here in the United States. I’m assuming at the Maryland facility. It took them a while to get back to me. But this is what they said when they got back to me don’t forget you can make your non-common ground amplifier, a common ground amplifier by connecting the two negative speaker posts with a nice gauge wire.🥂
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    You do not need to strap mono blocks together with the L800.

• pitdogg2
    Options
    But this is what they said when they got back to me don’t forget you can make your non-common ground amplifier, a common ground amplifier by connecting the two negative speaker posts with a nice gauge wire.

No you cannot do that to some non-common ground amps, honestly that was bad advice.

Your fine with the amps you have to use them as you did or run them as monos with the L800's
    BTW from my research your amps came two ways with and without balanced connections. Not all amps and preamps are truly a balanced architecture just because they have the connections.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    don’t forget you can make your non-common ground amplifier, a common ground amplifier by connecting the two negative speaker posts with a nice gauge wire.
    That is wrong, very wrong.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Check continuity between chassis ground and left speaker ground. Do the same for the right speaker. If one of them has no continuity that's differential balanced.

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    40,000 unread emails is an issue. 40k emails in toto -- child's play.
    You should see my AOL email account! B):#

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Do you have mail?
    (Do they still do that when you login?)

Woh. You can still get Aol service.

I'm gonna break out the old Gateway 2000 PII-233Mhz with the US Robotics 56k modem. I did upgrade the computer to 64MB of RAM. Frickin' lightning quick.
    bpi3sc9k2bke.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Won't it be great to hear the squeal of a modem again?! Better than that whiff of napalm in the morning!
    There's a Dell 486 DX2/66 a-sittin' in the basement -- "put me in, coach! I'm ready to play!"
    Remember the days of extended and expanded memory? Good times.
    Heck there's a Radio Shack Tandy 1000 something or other with an 80186 down there somewhere, too. I kept it because -- how many 'putes with an 80186 have you stumbled across? B)