Where can I find good used audio equipment for a decent price

Options
I am looking for decent used audio equipment for sale

Answers

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,155
    Options
    USAudiomart or Audiogon… Thw Music Room is also a great option.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,055
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I believe that's every audio enthusiast's dream; good used gear at a decent price.
    In my case I've had good luck in the forsale section right here, on the Hoffman site and on bartertown on Audiokarma.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,460
    Options
    Estate sales where the man of the house passed away.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,888
    Options
    Next to the black paint
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,132
    Options
    1) Keep an eye out on the side of the road.
    2) If you live in a town with a "transfer station" -- maybe they have a "swap pile".

B)
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 887
    Options
    There's a local ewaste center where I live and they let me pick through the PILES upon piles of perfectly intact gear.

I've salvaged about 20 perfectly working AVRs which I've flipped for profit. I found tons of computers, even a mint condition Sony PSP. I even found my SNES there.

I've not found anything too crazy, but everything was free. If you have an ewaste center near you then definitely ask them if you're allowed to dig though.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    In the great(?lol) state of NJ where I reside they have this ridiculous policy in effect which allows people to throw amplifiers and other audio gear into the garbage afaik:

"A disposal ban that has been in effect since January 1, 2011 bans computers, monitors, laptops portable computers and televisions from being disposed of in the garbage. Use our electronic recycling events and resources below to help you in your disposal needs."
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,155
    Options
    In the great(?lol) state of NJ where I reside they have this ridiculous policy in effect which allows people to throw amplifiers and other audio gear into the garbage afaik:

"A disposal ban that has been in effect since January 1, 2011 bans computers, monitors, laptops portable computers and televisions from being disposed of in the garbage. Use our electronic recycling events and resources below to help you in your disposal needs."

I have seen lots of classic gear, including the mega receivers of the late 70s and early 80s at events like that. The sad thing is hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of classic gear is simply being destroyed because once it’s in the possession of those recycling groups they cannot allow any of it to be restored or reclaimed.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson