Anyone into Shortwave Radio

Options
I have dabbled with 2 handheld Tecsun radios in the past and they broke pretty quickly. Something about being able to pull in signals from far away and listen in to news, propaganda, and religious extremism interests me; not that I subscribe to the latter 2, but more along the lines of people slowing down to gape at a car wreck. This radio seems to be the ticket, although my research on tuners was very brief. Any else into shortwave?
0l1tfc0vk6rp.jpeg

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,066
    edited October 2022
    Options
    There's not much left to listen to :(and Mrs. H hates the static and noise -- and tuning -- so it's a bit of a clandestine activity... but, yeah, I loves me some DXing. Any band.
    Just the thing for long, cold, dark winter nights.

Panasonic and Sony and Grundig (e.g.) all made nice statement multiband radios (mostly in the form of portables). The good SW portables and luggables still command outrageous prices - as you've certainly noticed.

I don't have a single good communications receiver* -- but I have a few OK ones. I quite like this lower-end, mid-60s National. Not to be confused with Panasonic's "National" brand of the 1960s; this is from National Radio Corp.

51917562856_1872086043_b.jpg

Although, truth be told, a dump-find "Grundig" (Eton) S350 is my de facto winter night AM and SW DXer. :blush:

rzixupkqk3jp.png
    (random internet photo of the same model)

I'd like to have a dual-conversion Hammerlund, I think. Something like this one from the early '60s would do just fine.

zlj3d9gc5fwy.png
    source: https://www.alliedcatalogs.com/flipbook/1962_allied_radio_catalog.html

but...

y11jn43j6ugn.jpg

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention -- I'd be really tempted, in this day and age, to play with SDR (Software-defined radio), which is really radio, but basically receives the whole radio spectrum at once :) and the 'tuning' and detection and whatnot is done in silico (as they say). B)

49725331716_52aea713a3_b.jpg

49725331561_1cacd654f7_b.jpg

This one's a National, too. Pride of Malden, MA :)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Heck, as long as I am dreaming... I mean... it would be nice to have a Collins R-390 or R-390A
    The CIA/NSA grade communications receiver.

I know several people who (each) have several of them. :#

cta1lzgkqttz.png

28k4zlwvpgq7.png

Internet images. :|
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,963
    Options
    Those Collins units command a huge price tag and look to be nearly indestructible. I just remembered I have the house wires to a huge aerial antenna in the attic, so if I score the Panasonic I will have some experimenting to do.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Used to listen a lot in my youth. Had a realistic dx-150.
    Had a Yaesu frg7 with a digital display adapter, and a
    bunch of accessories I bought at an estate sale. That was a
    serious unit, just never really got a great antenna setup.
    Anymore, shortwave has emptied out. Not much going on.
    Much like a police scanner. Police went trunked, then digital
    Trunked, now they went to p25 phase II. In simple terms,
    that made everything obsolete several times. And big $$$
    to upgrade. You're looking at at leat $500 and over to listen
    now in many cities. And if they go to encryption, forget it.
    No way to listen. The local police and fire just converted over
    here in May. So my scanner is sitting Ina box.good thing I
    only paid $30 for it a couple years ago at an estate sale.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited October 2022
    Options
    When I was14, my first ever build was a Heathkit GR-64 shortwave radio. That was in the mid-sixties. It either didn't receive well or had a volume issue, so I had to troubleshoot. I remember touching or squeezing a ceramic disc capacitor and it started working properly. I stuck a small alligator clip on it until I received a replacement. I worked with my pops (plumbing), and he tossed some cash my way. IIRC, that was my first big expenditure...lol

I have this Northern Worldwide Multiband. Don't recall where I got it.

4td80phdbp4s.png

b0kbh1cfr93g.jpg
    k8ze6w4fx4qo.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    There's about 97% of a Heathkit GR-74 down inna basement. Dump find (of course).
    I cobbled up a set of tubes for it once, long ago. I might have even tried it with them installed. If I did, I tried once, unsuccessfully, and off to the darker, drearier reaches of the MA basement... only to be moved to NH... to occupy the same ecological niche. :#

I am getting the urge to take a census of multiband radios on the premises. :blush:
    You have been warned! :p
  • kevhed72
    Options
    The above pictured Panasonic went for 405 plus shipping.....gasp....way out of my price range.
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Price seems about right, maybe even a bit on the low side, after a quick perusal of eBAY.

You really might want to look for one of those little Grundig S350s I mentioned. Should be inexpensive, works pretty well, easy to use, and will likely hold up better (based solely on the one here) than what you've been using. No BFO nor product detector, so no good for SSB or CW, but fine for general SWL (and not bad for AM DX, with an external antenna connection), and decent for FM, too. Headphone output is stereo for FM (switchable), and it even has line-level stereo outputs, so it can be used as a multi-band tuner.

Speaking of multi-band tuners, a Fisher R-200B would be pretty darned cool. One of those'd be pricey, too, though. :#

o8hhs89svvfu.png
    source: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Lafayette-Catalogs/Lafayette-1969-690.pdf

250arl2fx3dk.png
    Random internet photo of an R-200B. I, sadly, don't have one. :/
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,941
    Options
    I used to love SW radio, for things like the BBC World Service. Now I just use my  Music subscription to get any radio station I want. YMMV 🤷‍♂️
    Alea jacta est!
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Well I went with a sensible purchase of a Grundig S350DL to see how much time I would spend dialing in stations on the deck.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    Options
    Calling @CoolJazz
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • davissgurban
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    When I was14, my first ever build was a Heathkit GR-64 shortwave radio. That was in the mid-sixties. It either didn't receive well or had a volume issue, so I had to troubleshoot. I remember touching or squeezing a ceramic disc capacitor and it started working properly. I stuck a small alligator clip on it until I received a replacement. I worked with my pops (plumbing), and he tossed some cash my way. IIRC, that was my first big expenditure...lol

4td80phdbp4s.png

b0kbh1cfr93g.jpg
    k8ze6w4fx4qo.jpg

4td80phdbp4s.png

b0kbh1cfr93g.jpg
    k8ze6w4fx4qo.jpg

just wow this is amazing i love it so much. Such a rare thing, and what a story it has, I am delighted
  • davissgurban
    davissgurban Posts: 3
    edited November 2023
    Options

4td80phdbp4s.png

b0kbh1cfr93g.jpg
    k8ze6w4fx4qo.jpg
    Whether you're a novice or an experienced bettor, theplayoffs.com.br equips you with the knowledge needed to make NBA wagers.

4td80phdbp4s.png

b0kbh1cfr93g.jpg
    k8ze6w4fx4qo.jpg

I would really like to buy one, but I can't find it, maybe someone is selling it?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,374
    Options
    Calling @CoolJazz

I believe he moved up North and changed his number. I have an email to contact him with, though. I will reach out to him.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Here is a WWII fixer upper in MI. Was fungicide treated in 1945. 1.5-18MHz. 12-14v or 115v power. 95 bucks, facebook marketplace. No afil.

f13zwq59xvww.png
    mok6p5u5e3so.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,609
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Here is a WWII fixer upper in MI. Was fungicide treated in 1945. 1.5-18MHz. 12-14v or 115v power. 95 bucks, facebook marketplace. No afil.

f13zwq59xvww.png
    mok6p5u5e3so.png

I think it'll need to be retreated by now.
    B)
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2023
    Options

4td80phdbp4s.png

b0kbh1cfr93g.jpg
    k8ze6w4fx4qo.jpg
    Whether you're a novice or an experienced bettor, theplayoffs.com.br equips you with the knowledge needed to make NBA wagers.

4td80phdbp4s.png

b0kbh1cfr93g.jpg
    k8ze6w4fx4qo.jpg

I would really like to buy one, but I can't find it, maybe someone is selling it?

Looks like a Sangean OEM radio. EDIT: More that I look, I am leaning towards Tecsun as the OEM rather than Sangean.

Should be easy to find something similar or identical (although the brand name may vary) on eBAY -- did you look at C Crane's current offerings?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,375
    Options
    My dad (former intel officer) was really into radio communications when I was growing up and had a couple of Grundig models I was allowed to play around with. Pretty cool back then. He had postcards and stuff from all over the world. Must admit I haven't even thought of shortwave as a viable broadcasting thing for years. My dad still has his shortwave setup but he's more into internet now.