Zero Turn Mowers. Experience? Opinions?

Options
2»

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,609
    edited October 2023
    Options
    In ear monitors, with headphones on top.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I've never had a ZT . . . not sure of the noise level ...seems high
    when you say headphones on top, you mean like gun range protection? so I can hear the tunes?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,609
    Options
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    Cody don't get me wrong the Scag was a nice machine but what you get for the price was not comparable. I would have to move higher up the line to get a Scag that was at the same level. And I was already way over the beginning budget.

I’m f’ing with you Todd, but you blast boasts across the water, and blast music with great gear

😂😂😂

Take no offense
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,671
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    tratliff wrote: »
    Cody don't get me wrong the Scag was a nice machine but what you get for the price was not comparable. I would have to move higher up the line to get a Scag that was at the same level. And I was already way over the beginning budget.

I’m f’ing with you Todd, but you blast boasts across the water, and blast music with great gear

😂😂😂

Take no offense

Ron. It’s what I do best!
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,671
    Options
    As a follow up. I’m still running the Bad Boy ZT on my property. Has really reduced my time spent. Only thing that has caused me concern is the size of the deck. My lawn has transitions and a 60” deck is not always the best. But it’s not like I live on a golf course and it does reduce my time, which is really what I am after.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,374
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/Silensys-Active-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B098XGQS6G?pd_rd_w=3B87j&content-id=amzn1.sym.928be83d-9abb-4025-bc6e-e0aed5aed3c9&pf_rd_p=928be83d-9abb-4025-bc6e-e0aed5aed3c9&pf_rd_r=GZRC46A80BYM1R9K9YBB&pd_rd_wg=PELls&pd_rd_r=8ae364a9-f6c4-45b2-ab4e-98482eafd1da&pd_rd_i=B098XGQS6G&ref_=pd_basp_d_rpt_ba_s_1_nped_t&th=1

FWIW, this is what I use when mowing. I have a Gravely PT152, which I bought new a few years back. She's a workhorse and has cut my mowing time in less than half. I also can let the grass grow longer than I used too without increased time needed to mow.

These headphones do not drown out all of the noise the mower makes (the engine is literally sitting a foot behind you) but it does quiet it down, the battery lasts seemingly forever and it does offer you a chance to listen to tunes while you are mowing.....provided you have a phone or Wi-Fi signal.

The sound isn't what I would consider "audiophile" quality but I look at it like this. Why bother with that kind of quality when an engine is running full tilt a foot away from you? The sound isn't bad, don't get me wrong on that. It works great for anything while you are working outdoors. Great price to boot.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    When I mowed using a super loud John Deere ride-on, my Sony WH-1000XM5 canceled out the noise so incredibly well that you couldn't hear the mower even at lower listening levels, so there's that. They're VERY pricey though.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Love the one I have up in Pa. It does bang a good bit due to the small front tires, so have to balance out my speed with the bumps on ground or else it sets up a chain reaction bounce on me, that only women have to worry about :D
  • GlennDog
    edited November 2023
    Options
    the Gravely HD 52 was delivered yesterday . . . what a BEAST.
    Compared to the 25 year old Cub Cadet 2185 I sold to the kids next door, this is night and day!

One thing I wonder about is, for the overall cost of a machine of this caliber . . . Why not offer Fuel Injection? Carburetor? Really??
    In the cold-ish weather here, I was having trouble acclimating to her nuances

one thing I wasn't expecting is the dirt/debris this thing kicks up when mulching leaves. maybe it's the higher revving engine or the overall design . . . but man, you can dirty AF compared to the home owner lawn tractor

Time will tell . . . Happy so far

An aside for you troubleshooting wrench gurus . . . I also have a 2135 Cub of the same vintage that won't start UNLESS I spray starting fluid into the carb. I installed new fuel pump and fuel filter and blew out the gas line back to the gas tank (with compressed air) . . . still no start on her own. Will not run without using starting fluid

it CANNOT be this complicated . . . HELP
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Options
    Cub Cadets (some of them) have a weird carburetor. I ended up having to replace the entire carb on mine (8 years old). They are more expensive than a regular carb but this was for my secondary tractor my son uses to mow the neighbor's lawn and we also use it as a workhorse for other lawn duties while I mow with the Gravely PT152 zero turn, so it was worth it to me.

IME, the only thing Gravely cheaps out on is the fuel gauges. They are crap. That said, the rest of the beast is grossly overbuilt and built to last a lifetime. One of the main reasons I bought mine was that they still offer parts for Gravely's that were built back in the 60's. Try that with a Cub Cadet!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • GlennDog
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    IME, the only thing Gravely cheaps out on is the fuel gauges. They are crap. That said, the rest of the beast is grossly overbuilt and built to last a lifetime. One of the main reasons I bought mine was that they still offer parts for Gravely's that were built back in the 60's. Try that with a Cub Cadet!

Tom

there is NO GUAGE on the HD (at least non that's 1/2 accurate). Just a sight glass that's really unacceptable

how apropos, I felt like an idiot . . .

guy dropped off the HD and implies "it's 1/2 full" so I mulch for about 40 min and park it to blow excess debris off

IT WONT START

What are the chances, the very moment I park it ... is the same time fuel is spent?????????????????????/

any way, great machine so far

the stars aligned when the new neighbor guy offered me (IMHO top dollar) for the 25 yr old CC2185 . . . only 280 hours on her and another $300 for a never used #301 Snow Thrower from 1996 and Heavy as HE-L -L
    I'm sure I'll be wrenching on it at some point in the future
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Options
    Eh, I really don't mind about the gauge. I have a dual tank on mine and both have gauges but I find it easy enough to simply open up the tanks every once in a while and visually check the level. It holds 5 gallons total, so that equates to a WHOLE bunch of mowing. Even with 1.3 acres to mow, I can mow the yard 3 times on 5 gallons, plus a little bit of running around to do other things as well.

This is the first mower I ever had gauges on, so when they went out on me? Whoopdie-do. I never requested that they replace them under warranty because the rest of the machine is so well built and they are well known for faulty (and cheap) gauges.

I'll put it to you this way. Between the mower and a brick wall? I'd fear for the brick wall. Damned thing is a beast.

4 years in, under heavy use, and I have no maintenance, other than adding tubes in the front tires to prevent flats and basic maintenance. She has even cut grass (not mine) where it was so tall, the top of the grass was hitting me on the shoulder, as I was mowing.

BTW, you ever heard of the movie where they say, "Ain't got no gas in it"? :D

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
  • GlennDog
    Options
    that scene “was totally me”
    I should’ve known better . . . but ya don’t know whatcha don’t know

One of my rituals is always topping off the tank before I park it.
    This plastic tank is of a convoluted shape. Just one 5 gallon tank and no actual gauge. Site glass only.
    With this model, there is no way to see into the tank to determine how much gas you have, unless you fill it up all the way

I figure I’ve got one, maybe two more mowing/mulching sessions this year… But I’m already looking forward to next year!

Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Speaking of “you don’t know what you don’t know“

The young kid who moved in next-door was zipping around his yard on my old tractor, came up to me looking very disappointed

He said the tractor wasn’t cutting the grass like he expected it too … I asked him if grass was being discharged out the side chute

I told him to get on the machine and fire it up… I engage the PTO…

Now he’s a happy camper!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Options
    Now, THAT's funny! Oh, dear god....some people's kids. 🤣

Tom
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,081
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    like he expected it too

I found this quite funny. It wasn’t that it wasn’t cutting the grass (which obviously it wasn’t), it’s that it wasn’t cutting it like he expected it to.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden