WTB - Pre-recorded Reel to Reel Tapes

Options
joebass3
joebass3 Posts: 252
edited October 2023 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Long shot but wondering if anyone has any pre-recorded classic rock RTR tapes that are gathering dust? I've spent the last year putting together a vintage system that includes a Pioneer RT-707 and while I've recorded some of my better albums on tape, I'd like to add some pre-recorded titles also.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    edited November 2023
    Options
    My apologies for what I realize is technically a threadcr@p, but - in case you aren't aware of the reality of reel to reel tape collecting in the current era...
    By and large, one could make a fresh recording of an LP or CD of much higher quality than most commercial pop/rock reel to reel releases. That market was generally served by high-speed duplicated tapes, many of which were 3-3/4 ips rather than 7-1/2 ips.
    The bigger problem is that even the mediocre prerecorded "rock" tapes are very expensive in 2023. The good sounding ones are astronomical.
    You might want to consider seeking out some low-generation master tape copies (safety backups, masters sent to remote pressing plants, etc.). These are also very expensive -- but they're much more likely to sound great.
    c8nx4lqnstqa.jpg
    EDIT: I realized these won't work for you, as most of them are 15 ips and half-track, even when they're on 7-inch reels (e.g., the Donovan above). :(
    I, unfortunately, have none that you'd be interested in. I could send you, e.g., some Dean Martin or New Christy Minstrels gratis -- but that's probably not gonna float your boat! ;)
    Good luck in your quest! EDIT: There were "Record Club" reel to reel tapes made of many of the big pop and rock hits at least into the late 1970s, so you should be able to find some good albums in a tape format.
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 252
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    By and large, one could make a fresh recording of an LP or CD of much higher quality than most commercial pop/rock reel to reel releases. That market was generally served by high-speed duplicated tapes, many of which were 3-3/4 ips rather than 7-1/2 ips.
    The bigger problem is that even the mediocre prerecorded "rock" tapes are very expensive in 2023. The good sounding ones are astronomical.

That's what I have noticed. The titles that I've looked for are only 3-3/4 ips and are stupid expensive. I've picked up a couple of the cheaper ones but I'll probably take your advice and just record my own. I'm always scanning estate sales for interesting gear, so maybe one day I'll strike gold!

• SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Here's a link to a helpful site:

https://reel-reel.com/tapes/?_sfm_tape_genre=pop_rock&_sfm_tape_tracks=4 Track Stereo

You can find a pretty comprehensive listing for tapes and tape machines, you can look at each entry and if you click on it readers have submitted performance/sonics ratings. There's also a great selection of tape decks and reviews. You can create a "wish list".
    Good hunting!