Halloween Films

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,485
I'm gettin ready to watch a Halloween movie.

But first, let me go and close the blinds. I won't be able to approach them later.
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    When I was very young, maybe 11 ish, I used to spend Friday nights at my grandfather's house so I could stay up late to watch the Late, Late Show. One night I watched the original The Thing, from 1951.

The light switch for the room was on the wall opposite the stairs. I was so scared, I practiced pretending to flip the switch and run to the stairs in the hope that I could make it before the room got dark. True story.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,485
    Options
    Lol
    Yeah, I still get good and creeped out sometimes, even as an adult. It's rare, but when I do, it... presents minor comedic challenges.

Like, if it's dark out back, but my sliding door or the blinds are open, I feel like someone is, or could be, just standing out there in the dark, watching in, and I can't see out.

You try to tell yourself it's stupid, you're an adult, and there's no one out there, but sometimes after getting good and creeped out, it's not hard to feel eyes 👀 on you and swear it's real.

I remember, similarly, once when I was at my old apartment. I was watching a creepy movie, and realized I might have left the garage door up and back door unlocked. So, I calmly, routinely, adultly - code for in denial of early stages of scarediness - walking down, in the stair light, checking everything, and turning to head back up. "It sure is dark out there. Really dark" I thought to myself. Then, about a third of the way, I got this weird, twingy feeling on my neck and shoulders and I KNEW someone was out there in the dark looking in! and I booked it up the stairs, almost letting out a Three Stooges Curly, "nyah-ah-ah!"

I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    Options
    I've never much cared for Halloween. :(
    What Halloween actually is, though -- is kinda interesting.

Halloween, like May Day, Groundhog Day, and Lammas*, is a cross quarter day. :|
    https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/halloween-derived-from-ancient-celtic-cross-quarter-day/
    The cross-quarter days fall more or less midway between the equinoxes (when the sun sets due west) and solstices (when the sun sets at its most northern or southern point on the horizon).