$23’500.00 paid in coins. LOL!!

Options

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    Options
    Yep major middle finger for sure funny story, reminds me of the story about the guy that paid the DMV with pennies.
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mbvd/worth-every-penny

I remember when I finally got rid of Verizon for them always having billing issues and they sent me a bill for a dollar and some change after I had canceled I showed up to the Verizon store and went to the counter and paid with nickels and pennies watching thier face counting the change while I was complaining about thier service in front of people waiting in line was pretty funny.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Probably made him wait for the customer retention dept. before cashing out.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Wonder who got the last laugh… 🤔

So JMF Enterprises hires Fired Up Fabrication LLC to subcontract out some welding work in a building project, but doesn’t pay them for their work.

They file a civil lawsuit, so JMF Enterprises attempts to pay them with 6,500 lbs of random coins, which is refused. Apart from the cost of manual labor to count that amount in coins, the building elevator of the business is only rated for 3,000 lbs.

They go back to court, and…
    DENVER (AP) — A Colorado judge chided a welding company that tried to pay off a $23,500 settlement with a subcontractor by sending the money in loose coins that weighed 3 tons (2.7 metric tonnes).

Judge Joseph Findley ruled Monday that JMF Enterprises “acted maliciously and in bad faith” by delivering a custom made metal box containing the coins that was too heavy to be carried in the freight elevator at the offices for Fired Up Fabrications’ lawyers, let alone with the forklift required to carry it, according to court filings.

Findley ordered JMF to pay by a more conventional method like a check. He also said JMF would now have to write a larger one — to pay an extra estimated $8,092 to cover legal fees for the ensuing dispute over whether it had the right to pay in coins.

Seems like a good case of “F_uck around? Find out!”.

It cost them 34% extra for the “joke”, not counting their transportation costs and fabrication costs for the “metal box” they made to contain the coins.

Colorado judge chides company that tried to pay $23,500 settlement in coins weighing 3 tons

Alea jacta est!