L200 or ?

Options
The L200's have been out of stock for months on Polk's website. I have a discount code from Polk so I have to buy direct. I have some time before the code expires but I expected them to be in stock by now.

If they aren't back in time, what should I buy? They will be used in a 2 channel music only setup in a smallish room (11 x 14). I don't plan on using a sub. I don't plan on listening at high volumes. Power will be a new integrated amp 140W x 2 @ 4 ohms.

Thinking about the L100, R200AE and the L600. The L600 are more than I want to spend and they are probably too big for my application but I'm someone who fears FOMO so I really do want Legends. I'm aware the AE speakers probably don't have enough differences to be audible. I'm afraid the L100's will not deliver the low end. I listen to rock, metal, instrumental lead guitar stuff mostly but also a little bit of everything else. Demoing isn't an option because of the discount code thing. My 7.1 setup consists of an R300 center, 265 LS left and right, and RC60 rears and surrounds. Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    Options
    L100's will not deliver the low end
    They will not.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,124
    Options
    L600 and don’t look back. I have a code too and have been waiting for a black L400 for a very long time as well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,493
    Options
    Was this from the focus group participation?
    I'd try to request an extension, given the supply circumstances. It's only fair.

I found the R200AEs to sound quite different than the L200s.

The L600 should be a good choice, as noted, if you can spring for it, but what's your space like?

I'm personally a fan of bookshelf speakers and a music-first sub, but you said there won't be a sub.

Floor standers can be problematic if you don't have the positioned ideally in the space. For example, they can sound thin if they're place such that your listening see is in a bass null.

11x14 could be a good space setup. how're you planning to have it oriented?

Polk's large bookshelf speakers can sound pretty full, but that definition depends on how much bass you like. They work nicely in rooms like the size you describe, depending on orientation and listening seat.

You'll also need stands for them.
    sergioc wrote: »
    The L200's have been out of stock for months on Polk's website. I have a discount code from Polk so I have to buy direct. I have some time before the code expires but I expected them to be in stock by now.

If they aren't back in time, what should I buy? They will be used in a 2 channel music only setup in a smallish room (11 x 14). I don't plan on using a sub. I don't plan on listening at high volumes. Power will be a new integrated amp 140W x 2 @ 4 ohms.

Thinking about the L100, R200AE and the L600. The L600 are more than I want to spend and they are probably too big for my application but I'm someone who fears FOMO so I really do want Legends. I'm aware the AE speakers probably don't have enough differences to be audible. I'm afraid the L100's will not deliver the low end. I listen to rock, metal, instrumental lead guitar stuff mostly but also a little bit of everything else. Demoing isn't an option because of the discount code thing. My 7.1 setup consists of an R300 center, 265 LS left and right, and RC60 rears and surrounds. Any input is appreciated.

I disabled signatures.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Waiting for the woodgrain L600?

The R700 woodgrain is in stock, and a little cheaper at $1000 right now. Is the L worth $1500 more to you for a pair?

I didn't see where the voucher mattered if something is on sale, but I haven't looked recently at the fine print. Have you guys noticed that restriction?
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    A 150 sq ft or so room isn't really that small acoustically. I'd go for the L600s without a subwoofer or the L200s with a subwoofer. Factor in a good pair of speaker stands and a sub with the L200s and the L600s start to look like a comparatively good deal! The L600s are also versatile in that if you want to use them for a home theater system in future the Atmos modules can be inserted cleanly into the tops.

Push that buy button now! B)
  • sergioc
    sergioc Posts: 11
    Options
    @msg Yes, I have until mid December, so I'll make my selection by then either way. My biggest concern with the L600 is that I don't plan on listening at high volumes frequently, so I won't be able to experience them properly. Also concerned about higher amplification requirements. I'm planning to have the speakers on one of the longer 14' walls but the room is basically a blank space right now. I wouldn't say I'm heavily into bass with the genres I mostly listen to for music but I like a full sound.

@plastic_avatar Not waiting for woodgrain L600, waiting for L200. Starting to plan B if they don't come back in stock. Looks like codes work for sale items also.

@Emlyn Thank you I will consider a sub if the L200s don't deliver the sound I'm looking for. I also thought of the L600s as L/R in my next HT if I have a dedicated space for it. I think the L600s are the most versatile but I want to make sure I have the best low-mid volume music setup first, with speakers I can drive that aren't super power hungry. But the L600s are still on the short list.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Despite their size, you do not need to listen at higher volumes to get the best out of the L600s. My L800’s do incredibly well, even at low volume. Perhaps reaching out to Brock would be a good idea. He faced the same dilemma you have and ended up going with the L 600s in the seems quite happy with them.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,626
    Options
    Despite their size, you do not need to listen at higher volumes to get the best out of the L600s. My L800’s do incredibly well, even at low volume. Perhaps reaching out to Brock would be a good idea. He faced the same dilemma you have and ended up going with the L 600s in the seems quite happy with them.

@heiney9
  • sergioc
    Options
    @nooshinjohn Thank you, good info. If I went for the L600s then I might hold off on getting an integrated amplifier for now and run them with my older Yamaha RXV1000 receiver. I can add an amp to the Yamaha or get a nice integrated amp later.

• JCL
    JCL Posts: 115
    Options
    I had the same deal from that survey group and was planning on getting the R700’s but went with the L600’s and picked up an L400. The L600’s sound great at all volumes as far as what I’ve heard. I’m very happy with the sound of these speakers. I replaced my 2.3’s with them and they sound better to me. I use them for two channel without a sub and for home theater with two subs. I tried them with and without a sub in two channel and preferred the L600’s without a sub.

I also have the R200’s. That I am using for surrounds but tried them as two channel for a little while and found they sounded better with a sub so I would imagine the R200AE would be similar.

I would expect Polk to restock the store prior to when the deal runs out, but I decided I did not want to chance missing out. If I had waited I would have opted for 4 of the L200’s in addition to what I had bought.

Do you have a local store where you can demo the L200’s? There is a local store here that I typically buy all of my equipment from and I demo the equipment there when I am looking to purchase. I did not demo the L600’s there because I was not purchasing them from the store.
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • sergioc
    Options
    Thanks for the info @JCL . I'm not sure if I have a place to demo the L200's but I will probably just make my decision by the end of November. If the L200's are still out of stock, I'll probably go with the L600's.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    If you don't get the L600, you will always wonder what could have been.