WTB Single RTi12 Black

Options
Hello all. I just purchased a black pair of RTi12's. One speaker is decent and the other was trashed. (Motorboard cracked in multiple locations) I purchased with the hope of finding a single one out there that someone is wanting to let go. Preferably local to the Chicago western Burbs. Thanks and let me know if you have one or know of any out there for sale.

Comments

• IteachSTEM
    IteachSTEM Posts: 50
    Options
    I haven't found another RTi12 yet, so, it's looking like the good RTi12 I have may be for sale soon.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    Might be easier to find a pair of RtiA9's.
  • IteachSTEM
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Might be easier to find a pair of RtiA9's.

I think you might be right. So, if anyone wants one decent RTi12, let me know. Or if anyone needs drivers/crossovers/power port parts/etc. let me know.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    The rti12 uses the same drivers as the a9 of you plan to buy the 9s can keep the 12s for drivers
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • IteachSTEM
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    The rti12 uses the same drivers as the a9 of you plan to buy the 9s can keep the 12s for drivers

I thought about that. I do like the cabinet of the a9 better than the r12.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    IteachSTEM wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »

I thought about that. I do like the cabinet of the a9 better than the r12.

Better cabinet and as I understand it the crossover was tweaked.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Crossover is slightly different yes

The a9 cabinet is in another league of build quality
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • IteachSTEM
    Options
    I've looker for the a9's but every set for sale locally must be gold plated because they want almost as much as they were new. That wouldn't be too bad if they were in mint condition, but all of them show obvious signs of use.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    If it's just a cracked 'motherboard', buy a new crossover.

https://encompass.com/item/10856232/Polk/RE1535-2/

Here's the part. Polk might have stock. If they don't, you COULD buy two RTiA9 crossovers and replace the XO in both RTi12s instead.
  • IteachSTEM
    edited July 2023
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »

Here's the part. Polk might have stock. If they don't, you COULD buy two RTiA9 crossovers and replace the XO in both RTi12s instead.

Unfortunately, it's the "Motorboard" - front panel, not "Motherboard" -the crossover. The front panel was all messed up/cracked along with enough damage to the corners, etc. that saving the cabinet was not an option.

I still have my eyes open for a single RTi12, If that doesn't pan out, I'll just list everything on Craigslist/Marketplace and move on.

This is all that remains of the damaged speaker...g6ouxxdd0aro.jpg
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »

Unfortunately, it's the "Motorboard" - front panel, not "Motherboard" -the crossover. The front panel was all messed up/cracked along with enough damage to the corners, etc. that saving the cabinet was not an option.

I still have my eyes open for a single RTi12, If that doesn't pan out, I'll just list everything on Craigslist/Marketplace and move on.

This is all that remains of the damaged speaker...g6ouxxdd0aro.jpg

Right... oops. That's definitely unfortunate. I have some thoughts.

1. Sell the other tower and then sell these parts.
    2. Buy another pair of RTi12 and use this single one as a center channel if you have a projector screen which is acoustically transparent.
    3. Find the single RTi12 and keep these as spare parts (which you were going to do anyways I assume).

Have you checked HiFi Shark?
  • IteachSTEM
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I did check HiFi Shark.... the only single speaker on there is the one I have listed for sale. I'm going to roll with whatever comes first... either I sell the single RTi12 and put the money towards... groceries?!?! Or, I pick up an additional one so I can have a nice matching pair.
  • IteachSTEM
    Options
    I decided to pass on looking for another fairly priced RTi12. So my single RTi12 will be for sale at the usual places like marketplace, offer up and craigslist. I also will be parting out everything but the cabinet from the other RTi12 as well. Unfortunately, I can't post it on here yet, because I haven't met the arbitrary 100 posts yet.
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    Those drivers look like they're overbuilt IMO. When I pulled my RTi6 drivers from their cabinets to repair/replace the dust caps after they had deteriorated, I got the same impression.

Just curious, did you contact Polk in an effort to source the parts you need and if so, how much?

I had inquired about new dust caps and replacement drivers for my 6s. Unfortunately, Polk doesn't have the dust caps available, but they do have the replacement drivers @ 60.00 bucks a pop. Not too awful bad, but I couldn't see tossing these drivers when all they needed was a simple fix. After shopping around and doing some more research, I was able to source a pair of decent quality and size appropriate dust caps from Midwest Speaker Supply and it only cost me a few bucks.

Anyway, all the best! Hope you get things sorted out.
  • IteachSTEM
    Options
    The drivers aren't the problem,they are in perfect condition... I needed a cabinet. My plan was to just buy a single RTi12 from someone to match my existing good one, and then sell the drivers/parts from the damaged cabinet to anyone who could use the parts.

I only found one person willing to sell a single RTi12 for $150... and at that point, I thought I would be better off saving the $$ and investing in a better speaker in the future.
  • IteachSTEM
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Those drivers look like they're overbuilt IMO.

The drivers look bigger because of the video shielding... the bucking magnet is then covered by another metal cover/layer making the magnet assembly appear huge! This was fine for back in the day, but now a moot point as most people aren't still holding onto their CRT televisions.

I wish they would use cast aluminum baskets (or even molded plastic ones as some manufactures have successfully done) on their drivers, at least in the mid/upper range line of speakers. I know stamped steel is more cost effective, and they have to meet certain price points, blah, blah, blah. But, maybe have it as an option?

Thoughts?
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Those drivers look like they're overbuilt IMO.

The drivers look bigger because of the video shielding... the bucking magnet is then covered by another metal cover/layer making the magnet assembly appear huge! This was fine for back in the day, but now a moot point as most people aren't still holding onto their CRT televisions.

I wish they would use cast aluminum baskets (or even molded plastic ones as some manufactures have successfully done) on their drivers, at least in the mid/upper range line of speakers. I know stamped steel is more cost effective, and they have to meet certain price points, blah, blah, blah. But, maybe have it as an option?

Thoughts?

I'd go with stamped metal or aluminum over plastic any day. Point taken on video shielding for CRT Television.
  • IteachSTEM
    Options
    Well, I found someone that could use the single RTi12, so that is gone. I just have the drivers, grill, crossover and tweeter remaining. They, of course, are listed on the usual places as I'm not considered legit until 100 posts.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Well, I found someone that could use the single RTi12, so that is gone. I just have the drivers, grill, crossover and tweeter remaining. They, of course, are listed on the usual places as I'm not considered legit until 100 posts.

It's not difficult to reach 100 posts...answer a few questions, interact with a few threads, start a thread talking about your audio journey or taste in music or movies, etc….
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hot sauce, goats …
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,696
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Hot sauce, goats …

55xl0tc7xrl3.jpg
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Bwahahahaha!

@msg! ^^^

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • IteachSTEM
    Options
    Another idiot spammer...can we block this guy?

rojrlft9tfkt.png
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2023
    Options
    You can copy and past that in a pm between you and @CFarrell_SoundUnited. I'm sure Clint will very helpful.

😉