Cat scratch fever

Options
I am kinda sick about this and have to decide which way to remedy this. My wife got a new kitten and well, it likes to climb anything it can. I was sitting reading and look over and see her about a foot from the top of the grill on my SRS's. Good thing she is fast as it wouldn't have ended well. I remove the grill and all the drivers on the outer side have damage to the surrounds. I had replaced them when you could still get the drivers from polk. They are the B/B 1st gen. My question to everyone is, which would be the best way to fix this? I can glue the tears with something, maybe have them fixed, or get the midwest versions. Midwest says they are close to the originals? Anyone have a comparison? or suggestion?
Main System
Marantz AV8802A PrePro
Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
Oppo 203 Bluray
Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
Rythmik F15HP sub
Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
Mac Mini Server

Office System
Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
Oppo 103D Bluray
Polk SDA-SRS 2
Parasound HCA-1500A
Polk PSW 650 sub
Microrendu
Roku Ultra
Mac Mini Server

Comments

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,167
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Wang Dang Sweet Poontang 🐱
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,626
    Options
    Dang!
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,529
    Options
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    My suggestion would be a lead aspirin. As for the MW's if you're talking about the surrounds, you can use shoe goo or I think F1 uses Allenes.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    Options
    Aleen's Tacky glue is not meant for rubber, so do not use that. You need a rubber repair product.

Other than that, get the MWxxxx model number off the back of the drivers and start shopping eBay.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,629
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the first SDA-SRS was all MW6503.
    I fixed our cat when it was young by trimming the nail to the nub and keeping them that way. The second thing was wrapping my speakers top to bottom front and sides with heavy cardboard that Velcro'd to the back. With time the lil'bas'erd grew out of his wanting to be on top of everything. I still until he died kept his nails trimmed to no sharp points.
    I also remember someone who used rubber inner tube patches and the glue they use to good effect, might be worth a try.

Hope this helps.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    edited October 2023
    Options
    sbb2112 wrote: »
    I am kinda sick about this and have to decide which way to remedy this. My wife got a new kitten and well, it likes to climb anything it can. I was sitting reading and look over and see her about a foot from the top of the grill on my SRS's. Good thing she is fast as it wouldn't have ended well. I remove the grill and all the drivers on the outer side have damage to the surrounds. I had replaced them when you could still get the drivers from polk. They are the B/B 1st gen. My question to everyone is, which would be the best way to fix this? I can glue the tears with something, maybe have them fixed, or get the midwest versions. Midwest says they are close to the originals? Anyone have a comparison? or suggestion?

Get the kitten a lots of climbing toys, with carpet and scratch pads. The more toys they have the better it is for your speakers. We have 4 cats and none of them have ever climbed my speakers, because we have too many more fun toys they can climb.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,496
    Options
    Gyah, that sucks.

Get rid of the kitten. Burlap sack, rocks and a John Boat. You can get all off Craigslist, easy. Buy from different people so that it doesn't look suspicious and to avoid obvious entrapment stings. (Watching true crime shows pays off.) If you think your wife may object, make sure the sack is large enough for both of them. I've done this several times. You'll likely meet other cool guys and their wives and kittens out at the lake.
    I disabled signatures.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2023
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Gyah, that sucks.

Get rid of the kitten. Burlap sack, rocks and a John Boat. You can get all off Craigslist, easy. Buy from different people so that it doesn't look suspicious and to avoid obvious entrapment stings. (Watching true crime shows pays off.) If you think your wife may object, make sure the sack is large enough for both of them. I've done this several times. You'll likely meet other cool guys and their wives and kittens out at the lake.

I like your cut, brother.....

I’ve been lucky, the cats have always been deterred from dorking with my speakers....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,622
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I feel like I have the only cat that doesn't scratch and destroy stuff or chew on stuff.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,108
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the first SDA-SRS was all MW6503.
    I fixed our cat when it was young by trimming the nail to the nub and keeping them that way. The second thing was wrapping my speakers top to bottom front and sides with heavy cardboard that Velcro'd to the back. With time the lil'bas'erd grew out of his wanting to be on top of everything. I still until he died kept his nails trimmed to no sharp points.

I also remember someone who used rubber inner tube patches and the glue they use to good effect, might be worth a try.

Hope this helps.

What type of glue do you recommend to glue the little patches of inner tube to kitty's feet?
    They tend to lick things on themselves. Food grade glue I reckon?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,629
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Super glue that sucker to the ceiling!!

Patches go on the back side of the rubber surround if that is where the tear is.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Milk the circumstance for all it’s worth. State your case for replacement Polk Legend L800s. 😂

CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    ...You need a rubber repair product...

So Shoe Goo it is then.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,126
    Options
    When I had cats, I always let them hear and feel the raw power of the 1.2TL’s at AC/DC concert levelsevery theme the got within 10 feet of them… they learned quick to stay away.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 309
    Options
    Great to be animal free.
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Options
    Got busy with other projects and finally got time to think about this. I found this1lt4optcpp2e.jpg
    and it fixed the surrounds and stays really flexible. I put some on the gaskets to keep them in place too. Used a toothpick and smoothed over. Still thinking about MW speaker 6503 replacements after the cat issue is worked out. The bug zapper idea was a good one
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 527
    Options
    Introduce your cat to one of these and it will most likely leave your speakers alone. You may want to put a little catnip on/around the post initially and encourage the the post to be a play zone. We had two 20-pounders and they were obsessed with the post and never touched the polks:

https://www.purrfectpost.com/
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • neskahi2
    neskahi2 Posts: 35
    edited December 2023
    Options
    sbb2112 wrote: »
    Got busy with other projects and finally got time to think about this. I found this1lt4optcpp2e.jpg
    and it fixed the surrounds and stays really flexible. I put some on the gaskets to keep them in place too. Used a toothpick and smoothed over. Still thinking about MW speaker 6503 replacements after the cat issue is worked out. The bug zapper idea was a good one

If you have need for 6503's I can help. I only need two spares for 2B's having thinned my POLK collection. I have a similar problem with a cat. But he's a good cat.
    Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/derivatives/A/A810EBFA-4295-4715-83B0-846FCD9EF23E_1_105_c.jpeg3d2fwmfotjj4.jpeg/Users/ /Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/resources/derivatives/B/B8A1C2C2-18EA-4528-8B5A-A7AFA23B88D7_1_105_c.jpeg/Users/jius.v-
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Options
    I have been busy and haven’t been here in a while. I will look the repairs over and if no new damage I would like to replace them.
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Rythmik F15HP sub