FS: FREE* Snell bookshelf speakers

Options
Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,619
edited October 2023 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
*You pay shipping. (Two boxes, 21x16x13 - 26lb each)

I purchased these Snell K.5 mk2 speakers here three weeks ago: https://www.ebay.com/itm/155746531880

I wanted to hear them and thought they would be a good candidate for a crossover upgrade. They're in pretty good condition with just a few small blemishes here and there due to age. They have nicely made cabinets with internal bracing, and a thick front baffle with constrained layer damping. The drivers were made by Vifa in Denmark. Each pair's crossovers were hand tuned/matched to the specific drivers.

This fact, the phase plug over the tweeter, or the shape of the front baffle could have all contributed to what stunning imaging they have in the treble region. They really gave me that sonic wall/three dimensional wrap around your head feeling. Mids and bass were pretty good too.

Like I said I wanted to work on these but quickly realized I don't have the time, energy, or workspace to do so. Figured I would see if anyone here wanted them for just the price of shipping. Ideally they'd go to someone interested in upgrading the crossovers and putting them to use.

In full disclosure when I get within a foot or two of them I detect a slight old/musty smell from the exterior of the cabinets, could just be a side of effect of being ~20 years old or maybe they were stored in a garage/basement for a while. I have an extraordinary sense of smell, so it's very possible that others wouldn't even notice it. The eBay seller said he never noticed it when I asked him about it, FWIW.

Anyway, here's some photos, I briefly removed a woofer to check out the inside of the cabinet. Check out the thick front baffle and bracing.

pw64fnvqu548.jpg

jc75hjz182av.jpg

ueg5ffalglss.jpg

0eltj5uuvg16.jpg

x7qg8cka1rbm.jpg

xcqydpis44t3.jpg

I reserve the right to decline this offer to randoms, one hit wonders, slapdicks, schmucks, people who never talk audio, people who have been registered for years but never post, and anyone on my ignore list.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    Options
    Very generous offer, kudos!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,574
    Options
    Very nice offer!
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,167
    Options
    Youza ! And Wow! My son would love these !
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    Beautiful cabinets and surely a nice gesture. What do the Midwoofer baskets look like?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,196
    Options
    Those look sweet! Snell always seems to be attentive to baffle edge diffraction issues. Very generous.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,090
    Options
    Great deal!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • CottageChz
    Options
    Very generous of you! They look like solid speakers.
  • Clipdat
    edited October 2023
    Options
    THJ passed so these are still available, let me know! :)
  • Clipdat
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Beautiful cabinets and surely a nice gesture. What do the Midwoofer baskets look like?

https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/snell-e5-iii-lf-speaker/
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,987
    Options
    That's crazy man; very nice of you. Someone's getting an early Christmas gift...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    Oh man... Why did I look? Can you provide a shipping estimate to 19607, please? If I do take these, I will probably put that pair of Ascend Acoustics I purchased last year up in a similar deal.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • Clipdat
    Options
    $177 via FedEx from 94501 to 19607.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,388
    Options
    Drew, my hat is off to you sir. That is a very nice gesture. Rock on wid'yo'bad self!

Very nice.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I reserve the right to decline this offer to randoms, one hit wonders, slapdicks, schmucks, people who never talk audio, people who have been registered for years but never post, and anyone on my ignore list.

I meet most of these criteria soooooo.......
    Good on you Drew! Wicked Ahhhsum!

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,487
    Options
    Drew is =hands down= THE Karma King of CP!
    As I recall @BlueFox laid out a really nice one before as well, letting a bunch of LSi speakers go for free?

3hshu4qvfvau.png

I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Options

Oops, I thought I was logged into my FedEx account earlier but I re-ran the numbers and I wasn't. It's actually $113. Sorry about that.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,081
    Options
    That’s one great offer. If I had any use for them at all, I’d be all over this deal.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Clipdat
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Does anyone want to try working on them and refurbishing them a bit? The stock crossover components could use a refresh:

eBay photos from a crossover listing:
    z1qrvl0rr4oy.jpg
    4k00ere3ejpl.jpg

It's an interesting design and features a functional heatsink for the resistors:
    bsnv8o5jl5ii.png
    car0aaqyc1pf.png
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    Look to be Peerless MWs. Good quality. :)
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Ah, you are right. Sorry, I'm not sure why I thought they were made by Vifa.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,167
    Options

Oops, I thought I was logged into my FedEx account earlier but I re-ran the numbers and I wasn't. It's actually $113. Sorry about that.

Yeah the 177 was to Ohio ! Hence the pass! Money is tight right now ! 113?? They would have been my sons
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 628
    Options
    Hella offer. Thank you.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    @Tony M I'm pretty sure you need another pair of speakers, whattaya say
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    If still available please quote shipping to 38231
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 436
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I have a pair of these and they're quite nice. The tweeters in mine are Vifa, these look different... Hadn't ever pulled the crossovers, maybe I should upgrade mine... :)

Somebody gonna get a great deal here. 🤘🤘
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »

$129
  • Clipdat
    Options
    JayMX wrote: »
    I have a pair of these and they're quite nice. The tweeters in mine are Vifa, these look different... Hadn't ever pulled the crossovers, maybe I should upgrade mine... :)

Somebody gonna get a great deal here. 🤘🤘

Maybe yours are the first gen and not the mk2? Those have different looking tweets:
    5qntfyw696gs.png
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »

$129

Were you logged in…😎

Let me know how to pay.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX