sda-srs crossover mod

Options

Answers

• Alasichuk
    Options
    I am serious about doing this, so stupid is my option.
    However, instead of clling me names, no one is addressing the issue I am facing.
    Can't say much positive for the quality of the replies
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Alasichuk wrote: »
    The ONLY thing I've heard is "don't do it"

Not one reference to the schematic or anything helpful.
    Lots of derogatory.

No help on how to make each speaker have 8 instead of 4 speakers (excluding tweeters) for its particular side.

Certainly, one of you must have enough on the ball to help me accomplish this?

Had it even occurred to you sir that SOME of the people who have responded are experienced in DESIGNING loudspeakers or crossovers???? (*and I know this, because I have purchased product from them. Again been here a very long time and you have not*)
    Again you have a set answer in your head and nothing else will suffice.
    Go ahead and drive off of that cliff and then blame everyone else.
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    Other tan "don't do it", no one has said anything
  • honestaquarian
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I happen to know for a fact that at least two of the people on here whom have responded to you telling you not to do it are very experienced in designing/building crossovers and loudspeakers.

Maybe more.

I purchased an upgraded crossover for my SDA's from one of them.

So I think that they would know what they are talking about when they tell you this is a bad idea.
    Of course it is clear that you will not understand until you plow ahead blindly through the wall of snow and then then find out the hard way there is something hidden in that wall of snow that you were warned repeatedly about.

• Alasichuk
    Options
    Did you even READ my last post?

I said that the only thing I've heard is "don't do it"
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,387
    Options
    Repeat that 144 times. What you just said.....the last 3 words.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • honestaquarian
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Yes I did and I repeat what I said above. How many people does it take to tell you that your breath stinks before you go and brush your teeth/use some mouthwash??
    If MULTIPLE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE are telling you not to do this and that it is a bad idea. Instead of ignoring them because they are telling you something that you don't want to read. Maybe you should change course a bit and instead start asking them what kind of experience they have to back their words up.
    SPECIFICALLY @WESTMASSGUY, @VR3, @F1NUT
  • honestaquarian
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Also if you pay close attention to some little details here that I am sure as a newbie you have missed. Look at how many posts are listed next to each responders handle on here. Some of them have thousands of posts. Some of them have tens of thousands of posts. If you click on their handle and look at their profiles you will see some of them have been here for well in excess of a decade.
    You just joined this month.........................
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Have at it. Here's the link to the schematic. If you simply remove the connections for the dimensional drivers and connect them in parallel to the stereo speakers you will drastically reduce the impedance of the whole speaker assembly. This will also mess up the voicing between the MWs and the tweeters drastically requiring adjustment downward of all the tweeter resistors by trial and error and you will end up with an even lower impedance speaker which may be undriveable.

The answer is nobody here knows how to do it without trial and error but they know it is ill advised for the reason I gave, not to mention you will have a terrible imaging speaker because of lobing interference (you can look that up) between the two vertical arrays of drivers.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/1/8/5/1/1/26684.pdf
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    Now that is a reply I can work with, understand, and follow.
    I will not mess with the XO, save to NOT use the interconnect cable.
    Unless that can cause an issue?

The rest of you GENTLEMEN can take a lesson of how to reply from Gardenstater

I appreciate the thoroughness of your reply and effort you took to write it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Bet he still doesn't know what lobing is and I bet he researches it after reading this in an effort to not appear ignorant.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,286
    Options
    Other tan "don't do it", no one has said anything

That's because there is nothing else to say, you want to ruin the speakers have at it by yourself.
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    Didn't get a reply regarding running them without the interconnect hooked up.
    Is there an impedance or other issue, noting that i know that I am not getting the benefit of the Dim Array at the listening position
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,196
    Options
    If you want to run them as a conventional stereo pair, don't connect the Interconnect Cable. The Stereo Woofers will still produce their respective channel's signal, and the Dimensional Woofers, through their sub-bass drive circuit, will produce the same stereo signal below 150 Hz. This should minimize any lobing or interference from the adjacent woofers since they're not producing any sound above 150 Hz.

You did already get an answer to that actually ^^^
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    you are right, sorry. i forgot it because of the overwhelming avalanche of garbage that i had to wade through.

Thanks again
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,342
    Options
    you are right, sorry. i forgot it because of the overwhelming avalanche of garbage that i had to wade through.

Thanks again

You came here asking for advice on how to do something stupid and without merit. Were you met with some sarcasm? Yea. Imagine going to a Ford forum and asking how to convert a ‘65 Mustang to electric. Can it be done? Yea, probably - but just because you can doesn’t mean you should. The result would be an abomination, and no one wants to be a party to that.

You received the best advice at the outset - buy different speakers.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    Options
    What we've got here is failure to comprehend. Some men, you just can't teach.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    You guys are big meanies...lobing your insults all over the place! (That's what it means, right?)

Seriously, better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 114
    Options
    I would suggest if you really want to redesign a crossover to first get a copy of “The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook”. There is a section on crossover design (chapter 7). Read that section at a minimum and then decide if you want to still go forward or not. You are going to have to redesign the entire crossover. There is no simple way to redesign a crossover when adding multiple drivers that I am aware of and there are a lot of calculations and work involved in designing one that’s going to actually work well. It may also be expensive to build one using quality components.
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,286
    Options
    JCL wrote: »
    I would suggest if you really want to redesign a crossover to first get a copy of “The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook”. There is a section on crossover design (chapter 7). Read that section at a minimum and then decide if you want to still go forward or not. You are going to have to redesign the entire crossover. There is no simple way to redesign a crossover when adding multiple drivers that I am aware of and there are a lot of calculations and work involved in designing one that’s going to actually work well. It may also be expensive to build one using quality components.

I'm sure it wouldn't just be the crossover, it would probably make the passive radiator out of tune also.
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 114
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    JCL wrote: »

I'm sure it wouldn't just be the crossover, it would probably make the passive radiator out of tune also.

Yea you would probably have to redesign the speaker enclosure too.
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,089
    Options
    Has the op considered new speakers? Asking for a friend
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,619
    Options
    @westmassguy give the absolute best option to use.
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    Thanks to the few who answered with reasoning; as opposed to most who just said 'do what I say because I say so'...
    I've been disappointed before, but most of you surprised me greatly
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    Thanks to the few who answered with reasoning; as opposed to most who just said 'do what I say because I say so'...
    I've been disappointed before, but most of you surprised me greatly

So now the real question: did you take the advice and just leave the interconnect out or are you actually still going to go through with modifications?
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    I have not decided whether or not to connect the speakers together.
    I have decided NOT to make any mods to the crossover.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    There ARE reasonable modifications/repairs to the crossovers; mostly involving replacement of electrolytic caps that are at or beyond their service life and therefore aren't performing as intended. Upgrading resistors, and upgrading certain inductors is also recommended--but NOT to disable or re-purpose the speaker drivers.

As I said in my previous post, NOT connecting the SDA cable is all you'd need to do otherwise.
  • Alasichuk
    Options
    I'm setting up the system now. I can't believe how active the Dim Array speakers are without the SDA connection. The sound is, as always, AWESOME. That's the way I'm gonna leave it.
    The reason for that is that critical listening by a 75 yr old with hearing aids is not important. Volume however, is.

Thanks again
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited October 2023
    Options
    "Dimensional drivers" are set up intentionally to also reinforce bass. Further, they'll vibrate like small bassive radiators in sympathy with the stereo drivers due to pressure waves within the cabinet. Yeah, they're gonna move a LOT.