Balanced & unbalanced

Options
Need some help, New to me B&K reference 50 owners manual states in Bold not to hook up to amplifier. “ B&K reference 2220” balanced and unbalanced at the same time
If I’m running balanced source, 2 channel. Then switch source on the preamp to DVD and run unbalanced rca. So both will be hooked up to the amp at the same time. But will not be used at the same time. Will this be ok? Conman practice? Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help.

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Pretty sure they are referring to NOT hook up both to an amplifier. The source(dvd) can run RCA or HDMI
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    If I'm understanding correctly, the manual is just telling you not to hook up the XLR preouts and the RCA oreouts to the same amplifier.

It doesn't matter about your source inputs - choose one connection cable type for the Ref 50 to the Ref 2220 amplifier (or any other amp offering both XLR and RCA inputs.

Second, how are you getting your connections from your source devices to the Ref 50?

You have to decide between digital or analog input options.

What is your "2ch balanced source" device?

Are you planning to use the Ref 50's processing for the DVD? If so, your output from DVD should be digital coax or toslink.

Everything else happens in the Ref 50.

Personally, I'd go
    XLR from Ref 50 to Ref 2220 amp
    XLR put from your 2ch source into to XLR input on the Ref 50.

Read up more on the audio modes if your preference here is to go all analog for your 2ch. I forget what the option is.

Please provide more info on this 2ch source. Typically XLR puts are on high end source devices or DACs, and you will be bypassing the Ref 50's DAC by connecting in this fashion.

No right or wrong, just general rules of thumb, but ultimately what sounds best in your setup.
    I disabled signatures.
  • CRE
    CRE Posts: 3
    Options
    Have a Panasonic 820 4k that I have analog out 2 ch unbalanced for music. Doing this mostly to test changes/improvements in the system. Digital optical for movies
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    The only thing that matters is you do not use both balanced and unbalanced from the preamp to the amp. Everything else (sources) going TO the preamp are good. OF course any source that has balanced outputs you must pick which one to use. Most everything I've ran across had a toggle switch to pick XLR or RCA you could not run both simultaneously.
  • msg
    Options
    Sometimes I feel invisible.
    I disabled signatures.
  • CRE
    CRE Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for the help.
  • ken brydson
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel invincible.

Fixed...

• msg
    Options
    That's what I meant to say!
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    CRE wrote: »
    Thank you for the help.

You're welcome! My last post was more just a joke, bc @pitdogg2 pretty much just took the good bits from my response and made it less rambling.

He also stole my girlfriend. And put my best records in the oven. On broil. On top of a 9x5 bread pan. Open side up.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Did you hear that baby crying 😭😭?
  • msg
    Options
    That's okay, I hacksawed his 80s PK RIPPER at the head tube/down tube junction, and chain stays right behind the bottom bracket.

From Ivan's last ride trip
    6j3jzcdd62aw.png
    2jxyardy38i4.png
    j2t5uq4hv3sm.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options
    Funny shite …
  • msg
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You basscurd
    ahhhh, I'm dyin' lol that was a fun one, glad you guys enjoyed.

anyone who's ever had the wind knocked out of them knows that uhhhn sound we involuntarily make. gyad, that's a horrible feeling that I do not miss.

watch, I'm gonna do something dumb in the next week or two to get the wind knocked outta me.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    He also stole my girlfriend. And put my best records in the oven. On broil. On top of a 9x5 bread pan. Open side up.
    I'm pretty sure he took your milk money, too.

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »

Your damn right I did!!! I even tied his shoes together and put them high on the wires!!!
  • msg
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    jdjohn wrote: »

Your damn right I did!!! I even tied his shoes together and put them high on the wires!!!

But my feet were still in them!!!

I disabled signatures.