Any Polkies in the Cleveland, OH area? Make a little money and help me out?

Options
Going out on a limb here…. 🤞🏻
I’m nearing the goal line of a fun (and very protracted) restoration project - a gorgeous 1965 KLH Model 20+ console. Sadly, I’m short one tulip stand. Almost impossible to find. …and no, I don’t want to use a Bose 901 stand... I want the original!

Stole this pic from the internet of a complete console:
w7upjvqy2yo2.jpeg

Searching the FB Marketplace today and I’ll be darned if a Model 20+ center section with a single, matching stand are for sale in the Cleveland area… Seller won’t separate/sell the stand from the console and ship it, understandably a PITA and reduces the value of the unit without the stand. I get it.

Screenshot of the FB ad:
r56sud59uya6.jpeg

So here’s the ask:
Any vintage junkies out in that area with nothin else better to do? Want to make a deal? Pick the unit up for me, then go splitzies? You can keep the cabinet (which houses a Garrard turntable and model 20 KLH receiver - I already have mine all finished). I doubt it would travel well if shipped. You can part out and sell off (or restore/use, whatever floats your boat…) then, well-package and ship the stand to me here in Utah? I would compensate for fuel and time (within reason - I wouldn’t want someone driving hours for this…) and of course, I’d pay for the shipping.

Kinda crazy, but I’ve been watching for one of these for a couple years. Not sure if I’m going to keep or sell the console when I’m done with the restoration - will just have to see how things play out. Holla if you are in the area and want to take part in my hairbrained scheme.👍🏻

Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,986
    Options
    Sorry can’t help you, but good luck! Sounds like a really fun project.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,528
    Options
    Fun project!

How would one get the tulip stand off?
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,376
    Options
    Would it be possible to just ask the buyer to sell you the stand for $300 and he could do whatever he wanted with the cabinet?

Just a thought. Depends on how often these bases come up on the used market (which I am completely out of the loop on).

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    I know B&O made a tulip stand base in brushed aluminum that looks exactly like those.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Just undo three bolts and then the power cord has to have the inlet connector removed (removable by design) and threaded back through the stem. It's easy - he just doesn't want to separate them.
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to just ask the buyer to sell you the stand for $300 and he could do whatever he wanted with the cabinet?
    Depends on how often these bases come up on the used market
    I did ask him and he is unwilling to break them apart nor will he do the packing/shipping.
    I've literally been watching for three years and haven't seen another single stand come up. Sometimes the complete console or a pair of speakers, but never a single like this... which is what I need. :)
    xschop wrote: »
    I know B&O made a tulip stand base in brushed aluminum that looks exactly like those.
    I want an original because of the height and the look. When placed adjacent to each other, the three sections can be treated as a single assembly, so all the pieces need to be the exact same height to achieve that configuration.

z8mpne5ldyzn.png

Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,376
    Options
    JayMX wrote: »
    I did ask him and he is unwilling to break them apart nor will he do the packing/shipping.
    I've literally been watching for three years and haven't seen another single stand come up. Sometimes the complete console or a pair of speakers, but never a single like this... which is what I need. :)

Gotcha. That bites.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,986
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    Just undo three bolts and then the power cord has to have the inlet connector removed (removable by design) and threaded back through the stem. It's easy - he just doesn't want to separate them.
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Depends on how often these bases come up on the used market
    xschop wrote: »
    I want an original because of the height and the look. When placed adjacent to each other, the three sections can be treated as a single assembly, so all the pieces need to be the exact same height to achieve that configuration.

z8mpne5ldyzn.png

I admit that does look super cool. How does it sound?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,475
    Options
    ^^^ yeah, I agree with Paul, and if the center section innards aren't a source you like, would it be possible to remove the turntable carefully, in order to be able to reinstall, and either install a modern one and/or convert it to a streaming setup?
    I’m nearing the goal line of a fun (and very protracted) restoration project - a gorgeous 1965 KLH Model

Kinda crazy, but I’ve been watching for one of these for a couple years. Not sure if I’m going to keep or sell the console when I’m done with the restoration - will just have to see how things play out. Holla if you are in the area and want to take part in my hairbrained scheme.👍🏻

I know you mentioned you're not sure whether you're going to keep it once you're done, which makes your obsession with this kind of funny, though not unusual. I've done stuff like this, thought not with audio gear specifically. Just projects I've gone overboard on and then either lost interest once accomplished and/or moved on to the next thing, and either stashed, or given away. You know this is bordering on obsession, right? lol And again, the old, "takes one to know one" thing :D

I'm really curious to see how it all turns out, and how it sounds. Be really cool if you're actually really pleased with it in the end and it turns out to be a piece of furniture gear that you can turn into a second, third, or fourth space system for fun. I think you'll need to get good at cocktail hour, buy a smoking jacket, and find some cool lounge lizard decor and music.

This one's pretty good - decent sampler
    https://www.discogs.com/master/111707-Various-Welcome-To-The-Ultra-Lounge. The case is furry velour.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2Qv7S5PJ4UkyJZacCwaWqd?si=O6hLjReXSZq980yaaVv48g
    0pi92n5smadp.png7v286295d8ws.pngq3e9qsprz2vj.png0heyw1dlht2w.png

But this is the one you need. A few tracks sound like they belong on some 60s spy movie, or playing in Admiral James T. Kirk's cabin. Kinda spacey and trippy.
    vectc4e3vua7.png7f0797218700.png
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2NuOkgVt9mmGOGVG0YsVtm?si=dQQq8jyVTIWU0UprjFQrVA
    https://www.discogs.com/master/120014-Various-Mondo-Exotica-Mysterious-Melodies-Tropical-Tiki-Tunes

I disabled signatures.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    I would suggest some nice, cozy Dean Martin LPs.

.....with the smoking jacket of course 🤗
    Sal Palooza
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    You know this is bordering on obsession, right?
    Absolutely. I tend to go all in on this kind of thing. I don’t even want to think about the hours I’ve put in. But as my wife says, “it’s better to have you in the garage than at the bar”. 🙂

Most of the aesthetic restoration is done, except for grille cloth. These went from really ratty to really beautiful, very quickly. The 58 year old old, very dry, walnut just drank up the Watco oil. Will finish with some wax to bring out the tiger’s eye chatoyance. Really beautiful veneer and cabinetry work on these.

Before:
    0mneqdpwmzn1.jpeg
    h2y05n4er8ni.jpeg
    8wle28qmwj9o.jpeg

After:
    brj8y14he6op.jpeg
    x1uhvzfuexsb.jpeg
    xhws7mchpf0j.jpeg

I’ve been through the speakers from top to bottom. New binding posts, new point-to-point Jantzen crossovers, new internal wiring. Sealed woofer surrounds. Sealed cabinets. They’re pretty awesome imo.
    6b2u2t07sm1g.jpeg
    ks5brnic14ti.jpeg
    noi5e5noo3vs.jpeg
    mkmzufom6im2.jpeg

Through another acquisition, I ended up with one spare model 20+ speaker cabinet, which I did destructively modify and retrofitted the guts of a little Mirage dual 6” sub into. It turned out kinda cool too (And sounds surprisingly well.)
    rsio66tv0ecl.jpeg
    g012xm2dcsjs.jpeg
    bvdmq3yl3vbj.jpeg
    kbw1zpgs9jit.jpeg
    vpgs1q4uaso5.jpeg
    v7j6i5l89ym3.jpeg

I’ve re-capped the amp boards and power supply. Electronics are in great shape. Turntable and plinth have been cleaned and restored. It’s taken a lot of work.
    opilovzdsj7i.jpeg
    nzf8ve7igsnr.jpeg
    ac0u4wqriuy0.jpeg
    if the center section innards aren't a source you like, would it be possible to remove the turntable carefully, in order to be able to reinstall, and either install a modern one and/or convert it to a streaming setup?
    It’s my hope to restore it to near original state with minimal destructive changes. I’ve added a secondary power supply and a Bluetooth board that plugs into the aux input via RCA, but you can still unplug and run a higher quality streamer in if you want.
    axwv58wbiadf.jpeg
    I'm really curious to see how it all turns out, and how it sounds.
    Preliminary listening is very good, imo. I really like the tweeters, surprising clarity - especially with the new crossovers. Woofers run full range but the sealed cabinets yield nice smooth midrange and mid-bass. The sub “phattens” it out nicely.
    Be really cool if you're actually really pleased with it in the end and it turns out to be a piece of furniture gear that you can turn into a second, third, or fourth space system for fun. I think you'll need to get good at cocktail hour, buy a smoking jacket, and find some cool lounge lizard decor and music.
    Who says I don’t already own a smoking jacket…? 😎
    I love the 60’s mod stuff, and MCM furniture is always in style.
    Tiki lounge lizards, unite! 🍸
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,938
    Options
    WOW!!! Super cool project, Beautiful work!!!
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    I can see why you want to keep things as original as possible (electronic mods and upgrades acceptable)

Nice work of art, well done.
    Sal Palooza