Help choosing bedroom in wall speakers

Options
cokewithvanilla
cokewithvanilla Posts: 1,777
edited July 2023 in Speakers
I used to be more into speakers than I have been able to in the last 5-10 years. I’m not new to this, but there have probably been a lot of new things since I stopped looking.

I have a 15x15x8 bedroom that I am going to do a home theater in. The biggest requirement: everything needs to be hidden. I can’t have giant class a/b amps laying around. I’ll need in wall subs.

The listening position will be in bed, adjustable frame, therefore it will likely be very close to the rear speakers.

I am looking to do full range at least for front and center, but I could be sold on the idea for all speakers if they are well hidden. The more the speakers can blend in, the better

I’ll likely be pairing this with an 82 inch tv, so space on the front wall (has door) will be interesting.

I imagine I will be doing 7.2.4. I’m also of certain the 7 part won’t be too important, but while I’ve got the walls apart….

I plan to put all the equipment in an adjacent closet. Id like the ability to use the atmos speakers as a second zone for my storm sounds I play at night (likely not a big ask)

One more thing to note, I will have recessed lighting (8 + fan), so speaker placement on ceiling will be secondary to lights

Price… well, I hadn’t considered that. Usually, I get to that as I go and the budget seems to just go up and up. Id like to aim for something reasonable, I’d love it if there was a brand in this space that offers good quality drivers and ect without the premium pricing for the name

As far as power delivery, it’s going to have to be efficient. I don’t have a ton of space for it and none of my space is going to be ideal for heat dispersion, class d?

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts on this, it would be appreciated. I easily get myself lost in the weeds with research and I won’t have that time as the renovation gets closer to this room. My goal is for me to be relatively unattached to my decisions, as I can spend months on any given small component and then never make my mind up

Oh, and one last thing… I would like for it to be able to run quiet and retain details, I have no idea how the cat is going to react to this, and she is one of the main movie watchers in the house

Comments

• skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Not sure on the price or if they’re made anymore…
    Legacy-Audio used to build some fine in wall speakers. Think they may have made in wall subs too.

Can’t comment on their (in wall) sound as I’ve never heard them.
    Can comment on Legacy’s floor standers.
    Damn nice and easy to drive.
    Had several of their Focus speakers and two of their subs.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    I use Defintive and Polk in different applications but both are a fine product.

I installed some in wall subwoofers at someone's house and man I wouldn't do it again. The subwoofer performs but man you can't brace the wall enough. The whole wall becomes energized. You would have to like build a mounting apparatus in the wall that isolates itself from the main wall. The subwoofer performed, it was the definitive reference with the dual 13s or whatever but it was hell to achieve desired performance due to the accompanying rattles
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • sm1th5
    sm1th5 Posts: 14
    Options
    What's number one in terms of importance?

Audio quality or something else?

If it's audio quality. You wouldn't be using in wall speakers or a subwoofer.

I honestly don't trust in walls etc due to performance per dollar is poor.

Hope you understand
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    sm1th5 wrote: »
    What's number one in terms of importance?

Audio quality or something else?

If it's audio quality. You wouldn't be using in wall speakers or a subwoofer.

I honestly don't trust in walls etc due to performance per dollar is poor.

Hope you understand

I've heard Paradigm in walls at a friend's house. That's my only experience with in walls of any sort.

Didn't like them too much, no bass at all.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    I sleep in my bedroom. For $ex I use the swing set outside or the soundproof room hidden in the basement.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • cokewithvanilla
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

My basement is a gym, so unless I build an another building on my property, the gym stays and the bedroom is where this goes. Also, I like watching in bed, I wouldn’t even sit down to use a dedicated theater room

For me, priority is being able to get high detail at low volume, completely in wall, and good loooks.

Sound quality is important, but only in the way of it needs to be clean at high and low volume. Efficiency is good. I am not expecting performance like you’d see in a high quality 2ch system. I need to hide the entire system in the attic, ceiling, walls, closet. It needs to look super clean

I will need to see how to brace some subs, because that will be important. I will likely do 4 smaller subs… maybe that will help

I’d love to use the focal utopia line, but I just don’t think it’s that important..
  • cokewithvanilla
    Options
    Does anyone have experience with the THX-8000L/S from klispch? Not usually a klipsch fan, but IIRC horns are used in many theaters.

11 8000s is only 7k… that takes care of 7..4

Then just need 2-4 subs