Mach1 Paint

Options
machone
machone Posts: 1,480
My Mach1 is my daily driver and after 19 years it is time for paint. It looks good from a distance but up close there were many spots that were deteriorating.
I was surprised that most shops only work with insurance and will not take on a cash job. Not even a stack of $100s!!
Through connections I finally found someone with the facility and most important the passion to do it right.
Car is completely detrimmed with glass removed. It has taken longer than expected but he is spraying this weekend and I should get the car back in a couple of weeks.
1shcweivziir.jpeg
mnl6us8ub47m.jpeg
0snczhk29soh.jpeg
s7542h9hqvj4.jpeg
i61yjdld9ybe.jpegkwrrokw0n50p.jpg
5vwpy2qrrz8t.jpg

pvahznhpujzm.jpg

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Are you painting it the same color?

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • machone
    Options
    Yep
    Colorado Red
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,378
    Options
    Lookin' good. Since this is your daily driver....what are you currently using while this is being completed?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,476
    Options
    Cheese and rice!
    What a thorough job that looks.
    Must be Earl Scheib.
    I disabled signatures.
  • machone
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Lookin' good. Since this is your daily driver....what are you currently using while this is being completed?

Tom

Fortunately I have access to a company truck.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,378
    Options
    Well now, that's convenient!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    Options
    That’s some love and commitment right there! How many miles on the car?

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,118
    Options
    And I thought this thread was going to let us know where to buy black paint... Thanks for nothing! :D:p:p:D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,286
    Options
    Most body shops don't like doing overalls, they make more money with less work doing collision work.
  • machone
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    That’s some love and commitment right there! How many miles on the car?

174 K
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Options
    And I thought this thread was going to let us know where to buy black paint... Thanks for nothing! :D:p:p:D

There are parts that are black. I'll ask him where he gets his. :D
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Milito
    edited July 2023
    Options
    A friend of mine who used to own a high end body shop taught me how to paint cars right after high school. The part I disliked the most was all of the tape work you had to do along with all of the sanding work. I liked painting, but hated the other part of the process. I painted with lacquer back then. After you painted the car you then had to wet sand it with 600 grit sandpaper and then buff it out. I wouldn't know the first thing about painting a car with the paint that is available now.
    Good quality paint is very expensive now. I'm sure that paint job isn't cheap.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • chrispyfur
    chrispyfur Posts: 170
    Options
    Very cool! These new edge Mach ones always had a place in my heart. Hope you get many more happy years with it.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,016
    Options
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options

I know where to get some black paint, John. You want some black paint? I know where there's some black paint!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNHcob3oJg
  • machone
    Options
    Changed color.
    Did not like the Colorado Red samples. Probably going with Rosso Corsa 322.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,697
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    Changed color.
    Did not like the Colorado Red samples. Probably going with Rosso Corsa 322.

I like Mach Ones in orange, but if you are going to go with a Ferrari color, might I suggest the Rosso Magma? B)

stidg466m1nx.jpg

krawm32kblki.jpg
  • machone
    Options
    The magma looks great but I am trying not to paint door jambs and Rosso Corsa is close enough that it will not be noticable. Lots of extra work and cost to properly paint the jambs.
    k9pbar0cmjph.jpg

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    Grigio Titanio is a great Ferrari color as well...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Rosso Magma reminds me of that red used by Mazda...

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,697
    edited July 2023
    Options
    The magma looks great but I am trying not to paint door jambs and Rosso Corsa is close enough that it will not be noticable. Lots of extra work and cost to properly paint the jambs.
    Then there is only one solution: KICK THEM OUT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuZG2Sy7pUU
  • chrispyfur
    chrispyfur Posts: 170
    Options
    Rosso Magma reminds me of that red used by Mazda...

Mazda calls it Soul Red Premium, not that anyone was asking... ;)
  • msg
    Options

Mr. Sheard from 11th grade chemistry was right about you all along when he said you'd stop short of greatness.
    k9pbar0cmjph.jpg

I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    seriously though, that's a hot color, too. I've only had one red car, and I liked it a lot, especially after a day of cleaning it up. '87 Mazda 626GT Turbo in Mazda Sunrise Red. Red with a touch of orange, black trim, tinted windows.

I think red suits some cars better than others.
    '94 Toyota Supra comes to mind.
    f0fa8l1kev7h.png

91 Mazda RX-7 Convertible (with targa config)
    wj7re8iobqhm.png

@Hermitism 's '96 Mazda Miata with the Blaupunkt that only plays Mr. Mister songs.
    gjn0df2nia1c.png

I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    At least it doesn’t play the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack like a ‘78 Trans Am….

• machone
    Options
    I recently replaced the door hinges on the driver's side because the bushings were shot. To get to the hinge bolts the fender had to be removed. To remove the fender the bumper cover and headlights had to be removed. Blah Blah Blah.....kzpjciavunll.jpg
    3066tcu0htj3.jpg
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Options
    Final decision made to go with Rosso Corsa. I think I will look great. I'll up date as it slooooowly happens......
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Options
    It's taking forever but assembly should start soon.38r1dpwr45km.jpg
    ds2nq0tv6qgg.jpg
    y2vt0wr53elj.jpg
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• msg
    Options
    Wow!
    Like candy!
    I disabled signatures.
  • Milito
    Options
    Looks great! Look forward to seeing it finished.