RTA12C vs SDA SRS 2.3

Options

Comments

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    @F1nut So I give a good method to test the coils for scraping, tell him what he can do with the MW6513 if they have magnet shift, tell him about the tweeter upgrade...

And finally, mention the flaw with the SL2000 tweeter which is literally proven in frequency response charts. It'd be absolutely mind boggling if this is what set you off because it's an undeniable fact about that tweeter.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,055
    Options
    I think what @F1nut is driving at is that your posts are written in a way that imply you have authoritative personal experience with the subject matter. Its not that your advice in this case is necessarily wrong, it just comes across as though you believe that reading specification charts and channelling advice previously posted by long-time forum members with years of knowledge is a sufficient substitute for the credibility that is earned through actual experience.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    Options
    Just like the SRT system you have no experience with the SL2000 or Klipsch speakers. All you do is parrot things you have read trying to make others believe you have 50 years of experience at 17.

I gotta tell ya, you're not helping your image here.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    Give the kid a break F1. He really could be the next Matt Polk.
    This place is an echo chamber within an echo chamber of parrots, dontchano.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2023
    Options
    ;) You're delusional
    Post edited by F1nut on

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    edited July 2023
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Just like the SRT system you have no experience with the SL2000 or Klipsch speakers. All you do is parrot things you have read trying to make others believe you have 50 years of experience at 17.

I literally have 2 of the SL2000 in my M5JR+, and I used to own some Klipsch speakers but never cared for them because they sounded horrible...

The only things I've not experienced are the SL3000, RD019x tweets, and the magnet shift, though maybe its better I don't experience magnet shift.
    Post edited by ChrisD06 on
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Also I feel like I could say the same about YOU being a parroter. Guarantee I could find you parotting something others have all said in a manner that makes it seem like you've experienced it. I'd bet real money on it
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    Also I feel like I could say the same about YOU being a parroter. Guarantee I could find you parotting something others have all said in a manner that makes it seem like you've experienced it. I'd bet real money on it

Not likely.

• ChrisD06
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Not likely.

Willing to bet money on it?
  • dpowell
    Options
    70hemicuda wrote: »
    I'm gonna try to swing by the store tomorrow and really check them out again. They do have a room dedicated to equipment testing.

Looking forward to hearing the outcome of your shopping trip today.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • F1nut
    Options

Put up or shut the F up.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options

I literally have 2 of the SL2000 in my M5JR+

I forgot that you bought them....10 days ago.

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    Options

And you're assuming that within 10 days I didn't get to listen to them? Lol I had them set up for 2 days and spent hours listening to them.

The SL2000 hurts my damn ears. Symbals especially.
  • ChrisD06
    Options

Put up or shut the F up.

What's your wager
  • F1nut
    Options

Put up or shut the F up.

What's your wager

Quit acting like the immature 17 year old that you are.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options

And you're assuming that within 10 days I didn't get to listen to them? Lol I had them set up for 2 days and spent hours listening to them.

It's cymbals.

President of Club Polk

• dpowell
    Options

Yes the 2000s are on the bright side and have their known issues. Could be that the amp you are driving them with is making the harshness more pronounced. They sounded great to me when I was driving 1Cs with SL2000s with an Anthem Amp 1 tube amp. The RD094s are still a noticeable improvement.

• ChrisD06
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »

Yes the 2000s are on the bright side and have their known issues. Could be that the amp you are driving them with is making the harshness more pronounced. They sounded great to me when I was driving 1Cs with SL2000s with an Anthem Amp 1 tube amp. The RD094s are still a noticeable improvement.

It's an Onkyo AVR and it does make treble more pronounced. They're not the worst, I can EQ on my receiver to mainly fix them and they sound fine, but because I'm younger my ears are just more sensitive to higher frequencies so they literally physically hurt after some time.
  • ChrisD06
    Options

It's cymbals.

Thanks, figured it was wrong.
  • dpowell
    Options
    my ears are just more sensitive to higher frequencies so they literally physically hurt after some time.

That's one of the reasons I decided to move away the the RT series after owning every tower series from RT800s all the way up to SRT. I never found a gear/speaker combination that tamed the trilaminate dome tweeter to my satisfaction. Others love them and that is great. This is totally a personal preference. The RD0s combined with SDA were the primary keys to my listening happiness.

• ChrisD06
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    my ears are just more sensitive to higher frequencies so they literally physically hurt after some time.

That's one of the reasons I decided to move away the the RT series after owning every tower series from RT800s all the way up to SRT. I never found a gear/speaker combination that tamed the trilaminate dome tweeter to my satisfaction. Others love them and that is great. This is totally a personal preference. The RD0s combined with SDA were the primary keys to my listening happiness.

Yeah I actually went and replaced the ferrofluid in 2 of my SL6502 tri laminates with distorted domes a week or so ago and I noticed the difference in clarity was MASSIVE but it also made them extremely bright. Fortunately those are for my RT800, which are currently rear surrounds and will eventually just be put in storage as I have no current use for them. Tested them with music and that's how I noticed the difference.

They get really dull over the years, and when you replace the FF they become like, twice as loud, and it's not bad at lower volumes but at higher volumes it can get harsh.
  • neskahi2
    neskahi2 Posts: 35
    Options
    How can real progress be made until the model is known for sure? Just sayin. Or did I miss it?
  • dpowell
    Options
    I dont think it can. Hoping for an update from the OP soon.

• 70hemicuda
    70hemicuda Posts: 30
    Options
    Finally got around to calling in to the shop. Life got super busy. So they actually wanted 1200 for the pair of 2.3's and would only give me 350 trade value for the 10s AND RTA12c's so I'm probably going to pass. Super nice guys but I paid way more for my speakers than the trade value.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    Options
    And they'll sell the 12's alone for $500 or try. 😕
  • dpowell
    Options
    Wow that is a significant bump over the 700 you thought originally. Sorry to hear that. Would still be interesting to know which version they are. I am guessing if you let them sit there awhile, the store will get a bit more interested in negotiating.

• ChrisD06
    Options
    Aren't the 2.3s worth about 1200 US? I'm probably wrong but I know the 1.2s sell for like 2000 or so, or at least I've seen a couple recently sell for that.
  • Sitka
    Sitka Posts: 74
    Options
    Hemi, if you decide to upgrade your 12C's, a few of us RTA 12 owners are here to help. I bought my 12B's for $375 and spent another $700 for the upgrade - worth every penny! $600 for caps, resistors and misc parts + $100 for a pair of MW 6600 drivers. I didn't cut corners but did keep the budget in mind. Incredible sound.
  • 70hemicuda
    70hemicuda Posts: 30
    Options
    Well looks like I will be a 2.3 TL owner today. Going to pick up a pair, and it's not the ones from the record store. I both love and hate Facebook marketplace.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    Options
    Congrats! Did you get the original owner ones in the St. Louis area, by chance? They look gorgeous.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM