Janis Interphase 1A schematic

With the possibility that this information might be helpful to someone who is trying to repair their Janis crossover amplifier here is the schematic drawing of the amplifier section:

m4cp46b4dbpw.png

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,690
    edited July 2023
    Since the circuit board doesn't have the part numbers on it I made a parts location guide:

askjrgptcwhe.jpg

The remaining three transistors, Q8, Q9 and Q10 are located on the two heat sink assemblies, with Q8 and Q9 together.
  • deuxbits
    deuxbits Posts: 1
    Thank you! Now I just have to figure out how to run through and check what's going on. I've never diagnosed an audio circuit before. One thing I do know - watch out for capacitors - particularly big ones. Going to check out YouTube or other self-help sites. Any troubleshooting suggestions would be much appreciated. Even basics. To start I intend to find and test power supply levels - I notice that VCC and VCC1 are at +51V and -51V respectively.

Note: When I turn on the Janis Interphase 1A amplifier when connected to the Subwoofer, I can hear a distinctive thump from the driver/speaker. But when I try to drive the Janis from the subwoofer-out (on the surround sound source amplifier - 3SA) I seem to get nothing. Substituting in a different (working) sub and I do hear the test signal from the 3SA. These components are all original and old - from the very early 80s, late 70s.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,690
    I'm glad the information was helpful, the Janis is an excellent subwoofer and should be preserved, if possible. The turn on thump is a good sign, hopefully the problem is easy to solve.