SVS PB13 Ultra Upgrades and Review

Options
dpowell
dpowell Posts: 3,055
edited July 2023 in Speakers
I recently completed two upgrades to my SVS PB13 Ultra Subwoofers and wanted to post my thoughts for anyone else that might be considering going down the same path. The first upgrade I completed was replacing the stock 1,000W Sledge amps with the new 1,200W plate amps. The main driver for this upgrade was one of the original amps failed completely and the other amp was having issues with the auto-on function.
f0n7a7ij88uq.jpg

Pros:
  • Higher power rating and amp design that translates into much deeper, clean, hard-hitting bass
  • No more configuring via the menu behind the sub. The new plate amps are fully customizable via a phone app that connects to the amps via Bluetooth.
  • Connectivity was seamless and the phone app works exactly as I would expect it to
  • Configuration options are vast and most-likely more than most users will use.
  • Easy fit and installation unless you are one of the rare unlucky ones like me. The first amp fit perfectly. The second amp was slightly large (out of spec).
  • SVS customer service is awesome and they had a replacement amp to me in less than a week which fit just fine.

One of my subs was down for about a year. Supply chain disruptions were part of the reason I had to wait to replace the amp. During that time, I upgraded from a Pioneer SC67 with MCACC to the Marantz 7704 with Audyssey. Finally, dual independent sub controls! During Audyssey setup, the Bluetooth app made it very easy to adjust the subwoofer amp volume in real time to the db output shown on-screen by Audyssey.

SVS customer service recommends setting the new plate amp to LFE mode within the app and allow Audyssey to manage the rest of the configuration. This is how I started and and still have the amps configured today. I have not felt the need to tweak any settings on the amp. They sound phenomenal.

Having been down to just one working sub for a while, I greatly appreciated having the second sub back online. Bass is much more balanced in the room. Additionally, these new plate amps have brought the PB13 Ultras to an entirely new level of performance. I honestly feel like I got a brand new pair of subs and far superior sound for just the $800 cost of the new amps. I cannot recommend this upgrade enough to anyone who has PB13 Ultras with stock amps.

The second upgrade I am in the process of doing is adding SVS's Sound Path Isolation Feet system. I have noticed some rattling in the theater and have wondered for quite some time if these feet were worth the investment. My wife got me one set for Fathers Day (I asked her to wait on the second set for sub 2 so I could use my SVS points on them). I installed them today. My initial impression is that these are very well-built and installation was a breeze. SVS subs come with very minimal feet installed at the factory. These unscrew easily, allowing for the upgraded feet to be installed in just a few minutes. I have not had more than a few minutes to try the subs at high volume post-installation but my initial impression is that I have not noticed any rattling thus far. To be fair, I still have one sub waiting for the upgrade and I won't be able to post my final thoughts until that upgrade is complete. Given that I have enough points to get a significant discount on the second set, I plan to purchase those in the next month or so.

Original Feet
8d9jn35c1par.jpg

Feet comparison
s5tut0nbbtbn.jpg
ntr9kukzfw7z.jpg
ae6hbnss5yot.jpg

Post Installation
n26dwc95eukx.jpg
9a2e4qjwqom6.jpg

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,831
    Options
    My preferred solution for my SVS SB4000 on carpet is Adona spikes. I don't see how floating a sub on rubber bumpers is beneficial, especially on carpet.

xvfbk2qimit1.jpeg
    Multi-Element Cones:

These extra-large multi-element cones offer outstanding performance and are suitable for use with larger equipment. The lower portion is machined from solid brass while the upper portion is machined from Kevlar-filled composite.

The cone assembly measures 2 inches in diameter by 2 1/2 inches tall. The lower brass portion is available in black, black-chrome, chrome or gold. Please call Adona at 478-781-3400 to place an order.

$150.00 for a set of four cones with 1/4-20 threads.

$165.00 for a set of four cones with M8 or 5/16-18 threads.

$165.00 for a set of four cones with 3/8-16 threads.

Cones Not sold individually.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,055
    Options
    Jesse, my understanding is that the benefit is less transfer of energy from the sub into the foundation and walls. It certainly seems to be the case in my situation. More time with ears on them will tell. Thanks for the info on the Adonas. I'd be into those for $450 vs the $100 (with my points or $140 without) I'll be out for the SVS solution since the 13's require 6 feet each.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,831
    Options
    All I can tell you is I got tighter bass with the spikes vs the stock feet. My sub is on padded carpet over a concrete floor.

Since your sub is 10 inches deeper and 50lbs. heavier it seems SVS thought it needed 6 feet. I'm not sure what the weight capacity of the Adona spikes is, but they are substantial, so I don't think only using 4 of them would be a problem.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk