Since we are exploring classical music

Options
DaveHo
DaveHo Posts: 3,481
To preface this, I have some classical recordings, and my son plays cello in the high school orchestra. I often see praise directed on a specific conductor. Why is this? At least at the high school level, they seem to be more of a puppet than someone who truly affects the performance. Am I just naive? Enlighten me.

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    So, think of it like this.

Think of a song…. Sweet Jane, for example. Do you like The Velvet Underground version or The Cowboy Junkies??

The conductor basically interprets how a piece is played….
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,167
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »

Think of a song…. Sweet Jane, for example. Do you like The Velvet Underground version or The Cowboy Junkies??

Both those versions are good but being Lous tune I’ll give props his way! 😉
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,375
    Options
    For a professional orchestra a conductor is the leader aka "maestro" responsible for keeping up to 100 highly trained and disciplined musicians under control and in time while also giving their own vision or interpretation of what a composer originally wrote on sheet music. The musicians need a leader. A conductor can spend years shaping the orchestra to be what they want it to be. Most of what goes into a public performance is worked out in exhaustive rehearsals led by the conductor.

A high school band is similar in intent but at a much lower level of expectations for musicianship.

Here's one of the best...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJQ8o3A_Cu4
  • DaveHo
    Options

But this is a studio setting, right? The producer can influence the final product with multiple takes. How does that translate to real time? Sure they practice the piece, during which things are tweaked. But is the conductor a part of that process?
  • DaveHo
    Options
    Let me relate an experience of my own. Back in the day, the Reading Symphony Orchestra had Werner Klemperer as a guest conductor numerous times. There may have been some queues during transitions, but mostly the musicians just played without lifting their heads.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,068
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Let me relate an experience of my own. Back in the day, the Reading Symphony Orchestra had Werner Klemperer as a guest conductor numerous times. There may have been some queues during transitions, but mostly the musicians just played without lifting their heads.

His father, Otto, was considered a great conductor. You probably knew that. Werner was, mostly, an actor.

• TroyD
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »

But this is a studio setting, right? The producer can influence the final product with multiple takes. How does that translate to real time? Sure they practice the piece, during which things are tweaked. But is the conductor a part of that process?

No.

Give you another example. "A Case of You". Joni Mitchell wrote it and performed it one way......Diana Krall performed it in a completely different way. A conductor, similarly, will interpret and ultimately conduct a piece according to thier style, taste, whatever.

In the classical realm, this is pretty easy to discern. Take a piece.....and listen to different versions conducted by different people. The piece is relatively same but the differences are clearly discernable.

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,516
    Options
    I have been following, on YouTube, a channel produced by Dave Hurwitz called: "The Ultimate Classical Music Guide by Dave Hurwitz" and have learned a great deal. He will take a piece of classical music, such as a Beethoven symphony and explain why some conductors and some orchestras do a better job than others. He has written many books on classical composers and how to enjoy their music. He has an enormous CD collection and will do a countdown on the best recordings. The video fidelity is a bit murky for some reason and he can go into minute details, but he is never boring. He comes across as genuinely wanting people to learn about classical music and to develop an enjoyment. He can be really funny and will sometimes poke gentle fun at audiophiles.
  • TroyD
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Thanks Ken, will definately be checking that out!!

Also, what I probably should have said before was that when you are talking about the production aspect....I kind of think of that as the mixed and mastered sound on the recording which isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the conductor interpreting a specific piece of music and how it is performed. Two different things........

I think as audiophiles we tend get wrapped up in how a recording sounds as opposed to the quality of the performance. I have records that sound great but the performance is so/so and then I have records of brilliant performances that the recording is so/so.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    The conductor is every bit as much of an artist as the folks with the instruments. The conductor determines the reading of the work and can add their own artistic statement. Listen to Ormandy with the Philadelphia Orchestra, Dorati in Minneapolis, or Reiner and the CSO and you may hear the same notes, but other differences are readily apparent as noted above.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,375
    Options
  • DaveHo
    Options
    Ok, what I have discerned is that I need to be more observant when attending a performance. I will strive to do so. But mostly I just get wrapped up in the moment.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I’ll have to look and see which Symphony it was, but the reading materials of one of Beethoven’s Symphony’s indicate that orchestra members declined to play it b/c Beethoven was not appreciated as a conductor. He kept trying to conduct, but they would not cooperate b/c he had imprecise baton gestures (get your minds out of the gutter 😂) which made it difficult to follow his lead.

Only once he stepped down would they play the symphony he wrote lead by another conductor.

Will get back once I locate the info.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    I’ll have to look and see which Symphony it was, but the reading materials of one of Beethoven’s Symphony’s indicate that orchestra members declined to play it b/c Beethoven was not appreciated as a conductor. He kept trying to conduct, but they would not cooperate b/c he had imprecise baton gestures (get your minds out of the gutter 😂) which made it difficult to follow his lead.

Only once he stepped down would they play the symphony he wrote lead by another conductor.

Will get back once I locate the info.

Here it is:

zvglwm0xlzp5.jpeg

j3xz0dwxmweg.jpeg

qyu9npe0wkpo.jpeg

n1txlddpis9q.jpeg

CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,104
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOHl_X_OoIk

Classical music is best LIVE, you get to feel and observe...

Our recordings at home serve more to remind us of that, at least for me.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    As Valentina Lisitsa would say "HOLD MY BEER"...well likely a nice glass wine...

You can listen and watch in entirety for at the least listen at 4:47

Valentina Lisitsa plays Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2

https://youtu.be/LdH1hSWGFGU
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,104
    Options
    ^^^^ Entire video is outstanding!
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    I consider the conductor a musician whose instrument is the orchestra -- each section and within each section each instrumentalist. He makes music using the composer's score and the members of the orchestra.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,007
    Options
    During an actual performance, the conductor may seem like a puppet, but it's all the hours and hours of rehearsal beforehand where he/they really put their imprint on a piece. They have to get an entire orchestra of musicians on the same page with timing, crescendos/decrescendos, dynamics of different orchestra sections during certain passages, etc. Musicians will write notes, or add highlights, on their sheets of music during the practice sessions to mirror what the conductor wants reflected throughout the course of a piece of music. And remember, these pieces last several minutes, with typically lots of variation throughout...these are not 3-minute pop songs. It takes a lot of concentration and focus to make it through, and Lord help you if you get behind, or lost, especially if the piece is moving quickly. I've done some choral work over the years, including with a symphony, so have first-hand experience with this. It can be a bit like herding cats.

One metaphor that could be used is like having different chefs cook the same dish with the same recipe. Each version will taste slightly different.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,374
    Options
    Two thumbs up, Valentina!!! Bravo!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,523
    Options
    Great thread! In a similar vein to Beethoven not being appreciated as a conductor, my Dad once told me a story about Fritz Reiner (Chicago Symphony), which I haven’t verified, but assume that it’s true. Apparently, Fritz was noted for having extremely minuscule baton movements. Once, during a rehearsal, some musician in the back (a percussionist?) took out a pair of binoculars. Fritz spotted this and fired the guy on the spot! Talk about humor impaired.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Classical music enthusiasts have their favorite conductor and will defend him or her with the same intensity as baseball pitchers or hitters. Mark Suskind, Polk's retired project manager, is a staunch supporter of Arturo Toscanini and believed him to be the best there's ever been. Another friend of mine was a staunch believer in Wilhelm Furtwangler's abilities, to the point that he couldn't listen to anybody else doing Beethoven.
  • TroyD
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Ken, I was reading something awhile back about Furtwangler and Toscanini not being mutual admirers.....interesting stuff. I've been gathering Furtwangler recordings lately and just am fascinated by his performances.....I've said before, if his recording of the adagio from Bruckner's 7th doesn't move you, there is something wrong with you.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,475
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I heard this this morning.
    Available on Spotify, and likely other platforms as well.

I like old record sets for stuff like this. Watching the turntable spin, some nice, chill, dim and warm ambient lighting, and this rich audio...

6lvnvr0bdmqe.jpeg
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.