I may have a problem. Who’s with me?

So… since I got started down this Polk Monitor road I have picked up a few hitchhikers. I jumped at a good deal on a pair of 7b’s. I recapped them and they sound great! Now today I picked up 5 more speakers. Three 5a’s and Two 4’s. The 4’s, 5a’s, and 7b’s all have the peerless tweets.

I am not quite sure what I want to do with the 3rd 5…

Anyway, anyone else find your speaker collection growing?

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,735
    You're just getting started grasshopper 😀
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,823
    I don’t see the problem.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,606
    edited June 2023
    Wait 'til you discover vintage Altec and/or JBL and/or Goodmans and/or Tannoy -- then you'll have a problem.
    :#
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,112
    My collection has shrunk considerably since my 1.2tls arrived many years ago
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,136
    You are NOT alone. Quit while you have your sanity!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,491
    I'm jealous that good speakers pop up for you. Lots of crap bumped for months around here. Nice for you!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,357
    Rather than having a hoard of speakers that may get rotated in and out (too much of a PITA, IMO) or collect dust I'd rather have one set per rig that works best in that rig. One can also put more money into making those select speakers sound their best instead of spending money on more speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Livinloud wrote: »
    mfbu6htfdpdb.jpeg

The 4's are too high up. The tweeter is way above ear height, so the presentation will suffer.

May I suggest that instead of spending money on speakers, buy higher quality speaker cables.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    I agree with this, but it took me years, as well as having a couple of profound experiences, to get to the point where I really felt that, "Wow, yes, this is it, I can stop bringing different stuff in to try."

I've got a few anchor pieces and speakers I'll keep for projects or just because I like them, though.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Rather than having a hoard of speakers that may get rotated in and out (too much of a PITA, IMO) or collect dust I'd rather have one set per rig that works best in that rig.

I disabled signatures.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,823
    edited June 2023
    F1nut wrote: »
    Rather than having a hoard of speakers that may get rotated in and out (too much of a PITA, IMO) or collect dust I'd rather have one set per rig that works best in that rig. One can also put more money into making those select speakers sound their best instead of spending money on more speakers.

Yeah, despite my earlier reply, it’s hard to argue with that logic. That’s basically what I did with my RTA 15s (edit: with MUCH help!). No regrets.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    Incrementally mod them until you've achieved earvana.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,434
    Been there, done that. I used to switch speakers every couple months. About 3 years ago, I found what sounded best to me (Not what should sound the best) and haven’t changed since.

cyjfklyv3bv2.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,282
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Been there, done that. I used to switch speakers every couple months. About 3 years ago, I found what sounded best to me (Not what should sound the best) and haven’t changed since.

cyjfklyv3bv2.jpeg

You have some serious placement issues 😳🤣🤣
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 325
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

cyjfklyv3bv2.jpeg

Those other speakers are simply bass traps. 😎
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141

cyjfklyv3bv2.jpeg

I’ve come to this place recently, as in, in the past couple of months.

I love speakers, in general, but I’ve found my endgame sets for my various systems. Now I’m building around them as Jesse said, and selling the rest.

Lots of delaaayed gratification (like 2 decades worth) becoming fulfilled.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,434

cyjfklyv3bv2.jpeg

This was just the “holding room” - they were getting rotated in and out of the 2ch system (pictured below). The benefit of getting rid of a few pair, was that I could finally use the “speaker storage” room for its intended purpose of a dedicated HT…

n6jis79kfifx.jpeg

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Livinloud
    Livinloud Posts: 43
    I agree with finding the best speaker per rig. That is certainly in my thought process. I do keep finding more rooms to add rigs to… eventually I will run out of rooms.

For now, the 11’s are in the basement tv room. The 7’s are at my office. (Although I have them home today to a/b with the 5’s) the 5’s are staying in the living room. (My wife likes the size and “fit”, plus they sound great with the pioneer amp.) The 4’s will end up in the workshop.

I would like to do some more upgrading but I am probably done for a few months. I will epoxy the speakers on the 4’s and 5’s. Will probably dynamat the 5’s, 7’s, and 11’s. Eventually I will get some BH5. For those three as well. The 4’s will be hard to justify upgrades as a shop speaker. They may not even stick around. If I find another deal on a set of 5’s or 7’s they are probably gone… but there could be a rig in the bedroom… see how it continues!
  • F1nut

cyjfklyv3bv2.jpeg

This was just the “holding room” - they were getting rotated in and out of the 2ch system (pictured below). The benefit of getting rid of a few pair, was that I could finally use the “speaker storage” room for its intended purpose of a dedicated HT…

n6jis79kfifx.jpeg

NHT's...good man

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    OP -- @Livinloud -- you just need... something like this.

24770045716_cc0c761021_b.jpg

24770042506_9c0f87c543_b.jpg

... or this.

26245541746_84e743ce60_b.jpg

B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,282

n6jis79kfifx.jpeg

I bet those Catver monoblocs make the NHT"s dance!

• odcics2

n6jis79kfifx.jpeg

I bet those Catver monoblocs make the NHT"s dance!
    👍
    hd35ecvx3okh.jpeg

• motorstereo
    ^^^^Nice looking Mac hat B) . How about a pic of your Mctubes and or blue meters?
  • motorstereo
    Beautiful looking 1500. It looks brand new
  • odcics2
    It pretty much is. Richard Modaffari restored it.
  • Livinloud
    Livinloud Posts: 43
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

... or this.

B)

That is awesome! Can we make a speaker carousel that rotates speakers into the perfect placement for listening?
  • motorstereo
    ^^^^My best bud in this hobby had one of those selectors in his store. That was really a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon going back and forth with his substantial inventory of used speakers. Quite often he'd play a set of speakers and I'd think whoa those really sound nice. Instantly switching to another pair I'd think wow that first pair really doesn't sound that good after all.
    tx51zro2wtfo.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Livinloud wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

... or this.

B)

That is awesome! Can we make a speaker carousel that rotates speakers into the perfect placement for listening?

Like one of those rotating restaurants. B)

But, heck, it's been done. You know... sort of.
    cf. the venerable Leslie. ;)

mzl2fdlcrwkz.gif

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,136
    edited June 2023
    Possibly a larger version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQdcwpxD_uo&t=2s

Cable management would be a bearcat!