EQing/convolving the highest Crosstalk Cancellation on L800

Options
tjcinnamon
tjcinnamon Posts: 100
edited June 2023 in Speakers
Hi All,
I have L800’s they are further apart than I’d like (limited by 83” TV). However, with room tweaks to a sub optimal but still decent room I get a solid SDA experience. Likely a 7 out of 10.

What I’ve found is that no EQ on LR and and just proper time alignment has resulted in the best effect. I’ve used Dirac, Audyssey (automated), and MQX (importing REW filters).

I’ve recently started to experiment with EQ APO and can create convolution files. Additionally, I’ve looked at BAACH which has the ability to measure Crosstalk cancellation but I’m unsure how it does it.

Any tips/strategies to maximize XTC in the digital domain? Perhaps adjusting phase? Fixing group delay?
Post edited by tjcinnamon on

Answers

• tjcinnamon
    Options
    also, sound is heard about 2’ outside the plane of the speakers. However, it’s not for every song. Whereas in the store it was many more songs and much more pronounced.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    The BAACH approach is a proprietary and very expensive way to create an interaural crosstalk cancellation effect that involves set up with microphones. It uses powerful digital signal processing with conventional stereo speakers. Polk's approach to interaural crosstalk cancellation is physical that involves placing the speakers as best as possible in a room. The BAACH approach also relies on room correction and can only go so far with DSP. It also requires setting up the space with optimal speaker placement and acoustic room treatments to get the best effect.

My suggestion is to use one or the other approach, physical vs DSP crosstalk cancellation. Mixing them isn't a good idea although it might be interesting to experiment. SDA and BAACH are both highly dependent on the source material for spatiality.

Here's an interesting recent article that mentions Carver and Polk approaches in relation to BAACH:

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/theoretica-applied-physics-bacch-sp-adio-stereo-purifier/

• tjcinnamon
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    The BAACH approach is a proprietary and very expensive way to create an interaural crosstalk cancellation effect that involves set up with microphones. It uses powerful digital signal processing with conventional stereo speakers. Polk's approach to interaural crosstalk cancellation is physical that involves placing the speakers as best as possible in a room. The BAACH approach also relies on room correction and can only go so far with DSP. It also requires setting up the space with optimal speaker placement and acoustic room treatments to get the best effect.

My suggestion is to use one or the other approach, physical vs DSP crosstalk cancellation. Mixing them isn't a good idea although it might be interesting to experiment. SDA and BAACH are both highly dependent on the source material for spatiality.

Here's an interesting recent article that mentions Carver and Polk approaches in relation to BAACH:

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/theoretica-applied-physics-bacch-sp-adio-stereo-purifier/

Thanks for the response. I wasn’t suggesting using BAACH but mainly figuring out its mechanism to measure crosstalk cancellation to impact the physical domain OR add EQ/phase in more traditional methods like a minidsp.

Right now, it’s scattershot. I make a change based off a theory and have to listen to see the impact. It would be nice to be able to measure XTC to make it less subjective.

I have no intention of use BAACH
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    Options
    You're wanting to go about it completely wrong. Use your damn ears, nothing beats them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk