Sansui Au 717 and polk SDA 1A

Options
Being unsophisticated to stereo, will my Sansui Au 717 be sufficient to run Polk SDA 1A's which I am considering purchasing? I have read about wattage and power and have run into a block in determining the appropriate answer. Your guidance will be appreciated-THANKS

Answers

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    Options
    I don't know the answer but Stereo Review Feb 1978 article said it clipped at 100W @ 8 ohms and 128W @ 4 ohms. If I remember correctly the impedance of the SDA 1A can dip into the low 3's at some point.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,503
    Options
    In looking at the schematic drawing of the Sansui's design there won't be a problem using the SDA speakers. There is clearly a common connection between the left and right outputs, so that is good. The other issue is if there is sufficient current to play the speakers. You can think of current supply as similar to gallons per minute if the amplifier were a water pump. What size is the room you want to play the speakers in? What type of music do you enjoy? Would you consider yourself to be a fairly loud listener? These factors all effect the result.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    it clipped at 100W @ 8 ohms and 128W @ 4 ohms.
    To me seeing that it doesn't come close to doubling the wattage from 8 to 4 ohms indicates it is not a high current amplifier.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,331
    Options
    If you are not excessive on the volume and keep it around 80Db or so, you should be fine. Anything above that? You may want to entertain another integrated or a dedicated amplifier.

Oh, my manners....welcome to the forum.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Dede
    Dede Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks on both accounts-appreciated
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    edited May 2023
    Options
    SDA Handbook states SDA 1A efficiency is 95 dB. That's 1W @ 1m. I think you have quite a bit of headroom at 1W, even for musical peaks, assuming you aren't listening in a very large room at a fair distance. I did notice that your amp has dual power supplies, one for each channel. Unknown issue may be how it handles heavy bass material that may go below 4 ohms impedance, at high volumes.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,600
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    If you are not excessive on the volume and keep it around 80Db or so, you should be fine. Anything above that? You may want to entertain another integrated or a dedicated amplifier.

Oh, my manners....welcome to the forum.

Tom

But, if 80dB sounds good, 90dB must sound better ... and, so on ... right?

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Dede
    Dede Posts: 16
    Options
    I remember fondly the developmental stage of "more is better; however, at 80 years young, I have learned that sufficient is enough and can enjoy moderation-Thanks for the memory