Anodizing

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,523
Hey quick question for you guys who've had anodizing work done -

I have some nylon watch straps that I want to change the color on. Need to go from polished/brushed, to dark gunmetal kind of color.

Do you guys know if this can be done without disassembly? I've seen gold electrolysis done on car emblems back in the 90s, but haven't looked into anodizing at all. Just thought I'd post up here for an infoshare.

Hardware's stainless. Looks like this. The buckle, tang and loops.
7gjwkzk8r3hz.png
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,207
    Options
    Stainless Steel can be black oxide treated but as far as I know cannot be anodized. Aluminum and Titanium and some other non-ferrous metals can be anodized.

Were you planning on removing the parts from the nylon by cutting the stitches and then having them restiched?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,635
    Options
    Stainless steel cannot be anodized. You do not need to remove the items from the bands THE acids will do that for you. You get back nice new colors and no bands......

Jeesh was this a trick question google head?
  • msg
    Options
    What's Google?!?

@Gardenstater - nah man, I was hoping for a solution without disassembly. Good info on the coating/coloring, or whatever you call it. Coatings, officially, I'd guess? Or if I were @mhardy6647, I'd possibly be pontificating or opining, maybe surmising?

But seriously, Evan, I was just thinking I'd ask you p-smokers first, since some of you are smaht, and not just smaht-As, people with first hand experience with this stuff.

And I'm working and didn't want to wind up down some rabbit hole ending up with no answers, or finding some deal on old die-cast cars or toy soldiers and blowing my loot.

Why do you ask? Did this make me seem lazy? Because you should feel flattered. I mean, I just recently told you how full of it you are - lots of useful information!
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,635
    edited May 2023
    Options
    :D:D:D U DA'man!! You sexy devil! >:)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,105
    Options
    Thought he'd try to trick us with a decoy question and ask us about cathodizing something. B)
  • msg
    Options
    All I know it when it comes to -izing, -cating, or even just -ating for some of you (you know who you are @Hermitism), you guys are the Subject Matter Experts.

Note: I did not come here for information or advice on -ating.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,105
    Options
    I had a friend in high school who was just an expert at putting a worm or a small fish on a fishing hook to use as a lure to catch large fish.
    Yup, he was a master...
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,426
    Options
    10 bucks says that flew over someone's head...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • msg
    Options
    Wellt, looks like my best option is gonna be blue painter's tape, an X-acto knife and a black permanent Sharpie or shoe paint pen, maybe some stripped Q-Tips and pipe cleaners. Totally ghetto, but it'll get the job done for now, until the seller has these straps made with black PVD hardware.

Very comfortable watch straps, btw.

Man, I knew anodizing was for aluminum. smh, what was I thinking, dehr. Oh yeah, I wasn't. lol

Thanks for the info fellers.
    I disabled signatures.