Can’t get surround

Options
dromunds
dromunds Posts: 9,981
A buddy of mine has a Marantz SR8200 receiver, and he can’t get the surround function to work. It works in stereo mode and the test signals verify fronts, center, and surrounds are functional (no signal from sub). He has an incorrect remote (SR580SR) and receiver manual shows the remote being a touch screen RC3200A. This is an older receiver. Any assistance would be appreciated helping him get out of stereo mode into surround mode. He’s also having trouble getting video/sound from his DVD player. Thanks.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    edited May 2023
    Options
    It might be set in Direct mode which would limit it to stereo only when playing back material but wouldn't affect set up signals. The set up signals show there's nothing wrong with amp channels if they're putting out sound. A hard reset might help if the audio setting can't easily be changed on the front panel.

I had that model when it first came out. The correct remote shows up here, which gave me flashbacks to owning one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqoMinbR8-E
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Correction, I had the 8002 not the 8200!
  • dromunds
    Options
    Thanks. He now has surround but only in “Hall” mode. Otherwise, only “stereo” is working. Still doesn’t get any video or sound from DVD, only image of the “Marantz DVD” logo.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    His receiver isn't capable of processing the data stream, ie bad handshake between devices is my best guess
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    That thing doesn't even have hdmi from the pictures I saw online....

May be time to upgrade
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Good points. The SR-8200 has two sets of component video inputs and one set of outputs. Audio would have to be via digital coax, optical, or multichannel analog to do DVD playback through it. It has 7.1 channel multichannel inputs. It's been a long time since I've hooked things up that way!
  • dromunds
    Options
    He can run hdmi from receiver to TV and optical from TV to receiver for audio, can’t he?
  • dromunds
    Options
    For the DVD in reference to last post
  • Emlyn
    Options
    To get 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound off a DVD the DVD player would in most cases need to be connected directly to the receiver via optical, coaxial, or multichannel analog outputs. How is the receiver connected to the TV for video now?
  • VR3
    Options
    Theres a ton of settings you would need to do to set this up...

You would need to make sure the output signal is outputting video via HDMI, audio via optical, etc. Every device needs to be looking in the right spots. The signal also needs to be in a format the receiver can decode, otherwise you will be experiencing what you are experiencing... stereo and the only way surround will work is a preset like Hall or 5 channel stereo, etc
  • dromunds
    Options
    Thanks, fellas. It’s for a basement system but may be he should start saving his pennies