APT Holeman preamp

Options
I picked this up in January and played with it for a while. It has a new Mute circuit relay installed and a couple of new capacitors. I paid $450 + the cost of repairs. It works great and sounds excellent, but I don't want to break up the Threshold preamp and amplifier I'm running currently, and this preamp does not have a moving coil phono input (or I'd probably keep it). I'll take $400 plus shipping. PayPal FF preferred. It has a few nicks and scratches, so it's about a 6.5 out of 10 for condition.

elb1k3jc347s.jpg

Established Polk members with 100 or more posts please.
Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,518
    Options
    The "Holman" part of the brand is Tomlinson Holman who, while working with George Lucas, came up with the idea of standardizing movie theater sound systems to a higher quality and named it "THX".
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,176
    Options
    and named it "THX".
    which was taken from the license plate on John Milner's deuce coupe from George Lucas's movie American Graffiti from 1973 (THX 138) and Lucas's first film titled THX 1138 from 1971.

SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    Does it have remote control?
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I thought it was THX, Tomlinson Holman’s eXperiment.
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    Maybe a combination of both?
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    Options
    A superb vintage preamp.
  • mabrow
    mabrow Posts: 19
    Options
    Hello,
    Kindly send, or post additional hi-def pictures. Shipping estimate to zip 75028?

Thanks and TGIF!
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    @mabrow I will post more photos when I get home from work. I see that you are new here. Currently, I am only offering this to established members with more than 100 posts. If it doesn't sell in approximately two weeks, I will make it available to all members. Thank you for your interest.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Without doubt the service manual for this is the most complete I've ever seen. Not only does it describe the complete function of the preamp it describes how every subsection works and why the design was chosen. It lists a complete testing procedure including recommended associated test equipment. There's even a section on how to build an inverse RIAA network. What a treasure trove of information.

http://www.amplimos.it/images/apt-holman-preamplifier-service-manual.pdf
  • mabrow
    mabrow Posts: 19
    Options
    Ok. Thanks newbie308. FYI. 215 positive 100% feedbacks on Ebay, also 100% on US Audio Mart if either of these matter.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,386
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @mabrow - Hello and good afternoon to you. It's not so much a feedback issue. It's more of a "Club Polk Member" benefit. In general, anyone selling on this forum has the right to offer up items for sale to participating members of the forum first.

Many of our members do this to keep things within the Club Polk family, as well as offer up discounts during the initial sale, only offered to established and participating Club Polk members. Many times, the price for gear is listed at a higher price elsewhere.

Like I said, it's a members only benefit that most of us honor and share with each other. It has nothing to do with your feedback. With that said, if this isn't sold to a Club Polk member within the stated time frame, your feedback would make a difference.

Most buyers/sellers here already know each other and have already built up trust with one another to where feedback isn't even necessary. FWIW

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    I've made an offer to buy it.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Another project?
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    Sold!
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    "Another project?"

Oh my, just what I need. I. think it would be a good experiment to turn an RIAA preamp into an NAB preamp. Since the service manual spells out how the phono EQ was done and the NAB EQ is very similar to the RIAA EQ. The service manual is such a helpful document that I was hooked.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    Options
    Great Preamp!
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.