Vitrue Audio M1 Piano CD player needs repair. Worth it?

Options
I have a Vitrue Audio M1 Piano CD player which I bought 10 years ago and paid $700.00. It always sounded great. Recently there is no sound coming out of it. Actually I do get a very, almost unauditable sound from it. I tried it on a different system and it didn't work there either. I cleaned the lens and that also didn't do anything. I cannot seem to find Virtue Audio anywhere, only a chat room. I called a couple local repair shops, but they were not interested in looking at it. Does anyone know how to reach Virtue Audio? They were in Tuson AZ. Is it not worth repairing? Thanks for reading!
Hafler DH220 Power amp Recapped
Hafler DH110 Preamp Recapped
Hafler Digital FM Tuner
Virtue Audio M1 Piano CD Player
Technics SL-1210-MK5 with a Rega Exact Cartridge
Polk SDA1c's(Rebuilt XO's by Ben) RDO194 Tweeters

Best Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,878
    Answer ✓
    Options
    They went out of business some years back. The only thing I can suggest is to keep looking for a tech willing to look at it, which apparently would require you shipping it somewhere.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited April 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    The CD mech (transport) is a Samsung. The chip is the TDA 1543, so he got that right.
    Here is a pic of the guts.
    5pcobk6akjgk.jpg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Answers

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Do either of the digital outputs work?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,158
    Options
    Time to upgrade to a Yamaha CD-s2100
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,533
    Options
    Time to upgrade to a Yamaha CD-s3000.

Did you pop the top? Anything look burnt or exploded?
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • F1nut
    Options
    The M1 got some pretty good reviews and it looks great. I understand one was able to custom order the exterior appearance.
    Here's one example.
    gztxdyc71sxi.jpg

I think it's worth finding out if it can be repaired.

President of Club Polk

• engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    The other thing you can do is check to make sure the disc is spinning up and being read.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • F1nut
    Options
    This Teac is about the same A4 chassis size and sounds very good.
    czczkebv0r0z.jpg

President of Club Polk

• gdphoto
    gdphoto Posts: 182
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. I didn't see any evidence of caps going bad. I am not a Tech so I can only do so much.
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,451
    Options
    PM sent.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Emlyn
    Options
    If it powers up, the disc spins, but there's neither analog or digital output it's likely the laser reader's gone bad. It's not uncommon after a decade of use. DAC chips and other electronic bits very rarely go bad after just a few years and I understand the M1 was somewhat proprietary so may be difficult to fix for a reasonable cost if anyone can diagnose and find parts.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The M1 uses a Samsung transport.

President of Club Polk

• gdphoto
    Options
    I do not have a way to test the digital outputs.
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,533
    edited April 2023
    Options
    That's a cool piece. I'd repair/upgrade it.
    I'm old school grey beard though...

Find a friend with a DAC. o:)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • gdphoto
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I spoke the the repair guy that Tom recommended and explained my issue. He said that is sounds like the DAC has gone bad. After a quick look up he said "Based on my reading the other day the DAC is a Philips TDA series". The CD mech. might be sony. He then said that it is a very good DAC and is used in a lot of high end CD players. If he is correct it would cost $350.00 to replace the DAC. I figure with 2 way shipping it will be $400.00. I just ordered on Amazon a cheap DAC with both input & output RCA's. If this works I'm guessing it proves the Tech is right and I'll go ahead and send it to him. Any thought's? Also, can I hook it up with RCA cables, or do I need to use the digital output?
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • treitz3
    Options
    You would need to use the digital output. The RCA outputs are already analog and have gone through the DAC within the unit.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • gdphoto
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Thanks, Tom That's what I figured. Gary
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • treitz3
    Options
    Does that unit have a coaxial out?

Tom
  • gdphoto
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Is it possible I could replace the DAC chip myself, assuming the DAC is the problem? Although I am not a Tech, I can use a soldering iron. I replaced all of the caps in my amp & preamp and they didn't blow up and still sound great 12 years later. Also, if the answer is yes, is there a better chip I could/should use?

P.S. I see I can buy the TDA 1543 with shipping for around $20.00.
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,649
    edited April 2023
    Options
    How is your "fine" soldering skills? Some dac chips can have many many fine as hair fingers to solder. That can be MUCH different than dropping a blob on a solder pad for a cap. I do not know what your dac chip looks like it could be like the old ladder dacs and very easy if you find the right one.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Well, that depends. Is the chip surface mounted, plugged in or soldered in?

Also, do you know for certain if it is the DAC chip or other parts within the DAC itself?

If not, you may be repairing something that won't solve the issue.

Also, do you have a coaxial out on that unit?

Tom
  • gdphoto
    Options
    I do have a coaxial out on the unit. I also ordered a tube DAC with a coaxial input, it also has Blue Tooth which I have been thinking of getting so the kids can play their phone on it. The thinking is, if it works using the coaxial hookup then it is the chip that's bad. As far as your first question goes, I haven't looked inside yet to see where it is, or how it's mounted. I won't attempt this if all of the stars don't line up.
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • gdphoto
    Options
    Here's the unit I ordered from Amazon. I know it probably won't be great, but it will be useful for testing purposes. I also ordered the coaxial cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MLPC8X3/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • Emlyn
    Options
    If you can get a digital signal out to it you may prefer the sound of the tube DAC. The TDA 1543 is apparently an old an inexpensive DAC chip. Hope it works for you.

The M1 appears to have a good power supply in it and nice casework considering the original price of the player.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    Agree with @pitdogg2 on trying to solder the dac. Also, lots of counterfeit Philips TDA chips are out there. Not sure where to point you for a part you can trust.

Looking at the DAC you ordered, I'm sure that those tubes are just a buffer and probably impart little effect on the sound. I'm not sure that DAC will be a worthwhile investment since it is also an amp. I would expect it to be comparatively noisy.

Recommend looking for something that is just a DAC. I would look at Topping or SMSL at that price point.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • gdphoto
    Options
    Just canceled the DAC I ordered and bought the Topping E30 II.
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • gdphoto
    Options
    I received the Topping DAC today. Hooked it up using the coaxil RCA output and it's working fine. Thank you everyone for all of the advise.
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner