Finished the layaway on my new turntable!

Options
2»

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    This table would take me a long while to do a layaway on…

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa8g85-techdas-air-force-one-turntables

But it’s nice to dream.

I can't help but feel that you will be compelled to go there...

Maybe when I’m retired

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    edited April 2023
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Congrats, Joey! 'Layaway'...wow, haven't heard that term used in awhile, and definitely not with high-end audio gear. Layaway was a term normally reserved for buying Christmas gifts at K-Mart, or the like. But from a business perspective, it is a much better option than 'interest-free financing'...not that you are much of a credit risk. Sorry for the diversion...that is just the accountant in me coming out.

Regarding the turntable itself - assuming the HW-40 Black Edition - it's interesting to see VPI pivot (pun intended) towards gimbal tonearms. They were pretty heavy in the uni-pivot camp for awhile. Looks like this one has anti-skate as well, so that's a plus :)

It is hard to argue against a good DD design, especially when it is all-manual, with no auto-functions to add un-wanted (or needed) mechanical noise. Funny how things come full-circle after so many years.

Anyway...enjoy, Dr. V!

Basically what happened was I had a brand new second arm, fatboy gimbal.

I got it as part of my avenger reference party pack.

Then as I contemplated adding the arm to my avenger, I realized I still needed to purchase the arm base and the vta tower.

Then my dealer Jeff with Reference Analog said he had an order for a brand new HW40 black, and I could have it for half retail. So I made a quick calculation, someone offered me a good amount for my extra arm, combine that with the cost of an arm board and tower… and it wasn’t much more to just get a second table than setting up the second arm on a single table.

Once installed, a double arm avenger reference with all options fully upgraded has nearly no more significant value on the resale market than a single arm avenger. Think of a pool installed in a house.

But a second table, like the hw40 black, at half retail will always have some equity.

So in the end, it was more cost effective or value to just go with a second table.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    dromunds wrote: »
    I’ve always preferred DD.

There’s something about just pressing a button and away it goes

I don't think he was referring to a pair of inflatables
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus