Carver Sonic Holography--The Second Coming

Schurkey
Schurkey Posts: 2,100
edited April 2023 in Vintage Speakers
It's BAAAaaack!

https://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/913-theoretica-applied-physics-bacch-sp-adio-3d-sound-processor

At least this time it's really expensive, (and digital) so it's bound to get good reviews.

Comments

• odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 305
    Oddly enough, you can get 3D imaging with good speakers.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2023
    BACCH has been around for quite a while. Kinda like controlled nuclear fusion. ;)
    Indeed, it's even been discussed here before (thread started in 2015).
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/166975/bacch-3d-sound

"Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow." ;)

• odcics2
    My Carver CT-23 preamp has the Sonic button. I tried it in the 90s and wasn’t impressed. Haven’t used it since.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    ... and, don't forget, cats & kittens, at the other end of the spectrum, there's Schiit.

https://www.schiit.com/products/syn

It's basically David Hafler's "Dynaquad" ambience recovery scheme in an expensive package (albeit with some other... umm... Schiit thrown in on top, like jimmies on the sundae).

11bdyf55bqmq.png

44548732302_99072271df_b.jpg

16242308137_0c1736f92a.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    odcics2 wrote: »
    My Carver CT-23 preamp has the Sonic button. I tried it in the 90s and wasn’t impressed. Haven’t used it since.

My C16 also has Sonic Holography, I was not impressed either. No matter how I had my speakers set up all it seem to do was recess the vocals back deeper into the music.
  • odcics2
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

My C16 also has Sonic Holography, I was not impressed either. No matter how I had my speakers set up all it seem to do was recess the vocals back deeper into the music.

I had my speakers set up exactly like it recommend in the owners manual.

Fail.

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited April 2023
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    It's basically David Hafler's "Dynaquad" ambience recovery scheme in an expensive package (albeit with some other... umm... Schiit thrown in on top, like jimmies on the sundae).
    Dynaquad requires at least three speakers, the diagram shows four. Another iteration has a front-center channel in addition to the rear speaker(s). It's a poor-man's "surround sound". The basic premise is Left channel, Right channel, (to provide "normal" stereo) then add L + R for the front center, and L - R and/or R - L for the rear "ambience" speaker(s). Add in a volume control or two, or three, and some switching. Some folks like it, some don't. I find it very listenable, dirt-cheap and completely unsophisticated compared to the various and increasingly-silly/complex Dolby and DTS multichannel schemes. But then, I'd rather listen to ONE "quality" speaker (two, preferably) than eleven or fourteen or thirty-nine-point-six bottom-feeder speakers including a multitude of "sub" woofers which in reality aren't even proper woofers let alone "sub-woofers", scattered semi-randomly and invisibly around the room.

Crosstalk-cancellation is a whole 'nother thing, unrelated to "surround sound" although somewhat compatible with surround-sound. The Bacch gadget...and Carver's...and Polk's SDA, uses two speaker cabinets. I guess a person could argue that the SDA drivers kinda-sorta represent a speaker-within-a-speaker ("four" cabinets); but I don't think most folks would.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    My friend has carver sonic holography, he's tried it every which way, and said it worked best believe it or not with the speakers right next to each other.
  • pitdogg2
    invalid wrote: »
    My friend has carver sonic holography, he's tried it every which way, and said it worked best believe it or not with the speakers right next to each other.

Well I can say I definitely didn't try that!
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    invalid wrote: »

Well I can say I definitely didn't try that!

I thought it kinda strange, but he claims it works, although I didn't ask him what speakers he was using he has many to choose from.
  • JCL
    JCL Posts: 107
    Like this but way more expensive?acq09t11fi65.jpeg
    L600 (front), R200 (rear), R200 (rear surround), L400 (center), Sunfire HRS-10 (2)Marantz AV7706Sunfire Cinema Grand, Marantz M8077, Music Hall Stealth, Ortofon bronze cartridge, Parasound Zphono XRM, Sony UBP-X800
  • odcics2
    A trip to your local weed store might provide the holographic images one seeks!

B)
  • pitdogg2
    A trip to your local weed store might provide the holographic images one seeks!

B)
    This will help! The good Chocolate!!

ptjygoqkdc36.jpg
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    ptjygoqkdc36.jpg

Well I'd have to agree with that label. I've never heard of a depressed mushroom user! :D Maybe fascination that the carpet is crawling but never depressed about it!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    Just to let you know I heard this today at Axpona. This is nothing like Sonic Holography. What this did was truly amazing. I heard birds and flies flying around my head that it actually made you think they were in the room with you, 100% realistic. When the music came on once again super realistic. Uncanny how realistic it made the instruments sound. Only problem it was just a tiny area this worked in, BUT that area was insanely super realistic!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Any word on when this will be added to an AVR? >:)>:)o:)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson