Options
jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 3,016
ipdxakim1rz5.jpg
16wrdf9drxdv.jpg
7y6tmluz5u2q.jpg
mk1japyaaes0.jpg
This is from my dad's collection. I don't have a RTR tape deck big enough to play-test this, so no assurances. I was going to say it was blank, but then I noticed the Beatles/Supremes scribble as shown in one of the pics.

Requirement for karma entry is 100+ posts, AND a pic posted in this thread of your RTR tape deck that will accommodate a 10.5" reel.

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• jdjohn
    Options
    Yeah, this may be more of a coin flip than a true karma with selecting a number :D

@SeleniumFalcon and @mhardy6647 ???
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,107
    Options
    Oh, yes, please -- I'm in! Excellent quality tape is that Maxell, then and still now!

I have two options here for NAB hub/10.5" reels.

This one.

15519631343_448f6b791b_b.jpg

And this one.

15256338064_3bf36bba8f_b.jpg

The ReVox has only half-track heads. The Otari does have quarter-track playback heads as well as half-track PB & record heads. B)

@SeleniumFalcon, of course, leaves me in the dirt! ;)

Pretty sure there are some other folks here with 10.5 inch capable decks.
    I believe I've seen photos of some gorgeous AKAI decks, and probably some TEAC and Sony decks tat'l take the big NAB hub reels, too.

PS I do have one other one, come to think of it -- but it's in need of some rehab. :/

9800040465_5f43dafe66_c.jpg

Bottom right. The 4-track TASCAM works great, but only takes up to 7" reels. :(
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,524
    Options
    Would this work well for, say, binding a person's wrists and ankles? Purely hypothetical, just curious.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Would this work well for, say, binding a person's wrists and ankles? Purely hypothetical, just curious.
    Theoretically, yes, but duct tape is much more efficient, speaking from experi nevermind.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,637
    Options
    I'm sorry Doc, I should have known.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Odds on the coin flip? Wait...nevermind, again.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm sorry Doc, I should have known.

No problem -- actually, I didn't see you post, only @jdjohn's reply. I guess I am sort of dog-like in terms of what I notice. ;)

xk8esro9qvzh.png
  • mhardy6647
    Options

jdjohn wrote: »
    Theoretically, yes, but duct tape is much more efficient, speaking from experi nevermind.

Zip ties.
    I read it on the internet. :#
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,524
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Zip ties.
    ... and use them in my basement.

"We're all just shocked at the number of bodies. He was always so polite. Canadian, nearly."
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Well [cough], I think Dr. Hardy lives (geographicly) near the Canadian border...just sayin'. ;)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,634
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Zip ties.
    ... and use them in my basement.

"We're all just shocked at the number of bodies. He was always so polite. Canadian, nearly."

Is this a cry for help?
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Swell tape. Now if I could just get someone to karma me a swell R2R to go with it. B)

I was just listening to a Maxell 60 minute UD with some classic Cars tunes I recorded several years ago on. This is truly one of the best Type I, Normal Bias Analog tapes ever made, IMHO.

5vjtxpr6htdt.jpg

And MH is well known in these here parts for his audio p_r_0_n. Keep it up and we'll have @ken brydson whack his pee pee! ;)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,637
    Options
    Well Mr. Ken has not expressed interest so by default Doc should win the coin toss.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Well, I mean... it works for me. B)
    Is there really no one else on this august forum who can use a 10-1/2 reel? :/
    Not that I would turn it down, of course.
    In full disclosure, I think I have two big reels of Maxell UD-35 tape. Lots of 7" Maxell (which was and remains my favorite reel to reel tape for amateur use), but only two 10-1/2" reels in the house. :|
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    Swell tape. Now if I could just get someone to karma me a swell R2R to go with it. B)
    Careful what you wish for! I have a few decks from my dad's collection, but boy-o-boy, what a bear to package and ship :s Come to think of it, though, one of them has a good, sturdy cover... None of the decks will hold this big boy, however.

I will go ahead and send a PM to @mhardy6647 regarding this particular tape :)
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,013
    Options
    I have a TEAC A-6100 deck that'll do 10.5" reels. However I don't do any recording. I thought I would when I first acquired the deck but simply prefer to collect and play old pre-recorded 7.5 ips tapes.

That all being said I also have a reel of Maxell UD35-180 tape (not blank). @mhardy6647, if you'd like a second free reel of tape PM me and I will send FOC. I was planning on putting it up on ebay here soon (they sell for around 40 bucks).

0zf5q4j6s4v9.jpg

yok75fslngl5.jpg

Rick
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options

u58g8jhkyswv.jpg