How to Categorize Music?

Wife & I having a few frosty's... we're are trying to line up our music so we can both go right to what we want to play with some sense of our own Dewey Decimal System.

How do ya'll setup your CD's/LP's, and other physical formats, so it's easy to find something you want to play?

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Alphabetical by artist dropping the words the, a, etc. Van Morrison goes under V, Santana goes under S, The Flaming Lips goes under F, James Taylor goes under J, etc. Then arrange by year of release with compilation albums last.

For collections of songs by various artists I arrange those together in a separate category then arrange alphabetically by title. I have almost all of my CDs stored away but they’re stored in the same order as they are in JRiver so they’re easy to find.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Music is mood....so I start with genre

Dealing with wife...you may want to start with his, hers or

....they, them...he, she....it, not....CIS, bi, neutral etc :D:D:D

But I start with Genre and then alphabetize
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Alpha for me dropping, the, a, etc like @Emlyn
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 362
    Just like @Emlyn except I don’t put each artist’s albums in any specific order. There’s few enough albums per artist that I can scan the spines and find what I want quickly, and it saves time when I reshelve the albums. I also catalog all of my vinyl albums on Discogs which can be useful (and kinda fun IMO).
  • pitdogg2
    Let me clarify
    Alphabetical, then in order of year of release by artist.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 990
    Sweet,

We were having some frosty beverages the other day, while listening to tunes, and started to rearrange our cd case stands.

We couldn’t agree on how to arrange.
    When arranging alphabetical we agreed on names when it was titled by artist.
    But, when it came to band being the title it became a quagmire.

Great suggestions.

Tanks very much, time for more frosty beverages and some tunes…. 😬
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Here's one: does the band 38 Special go under numerical artists at the beginning of a collection or under the letter "T" and does 38 Special come before or after 10,000 Maniacs?

Enjoy!

:D
  • pitdogg2
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Here's one: does the band 38 Special go under numerical artists at the beginning of a collection or under the letter "T" and does 38 Special come before or after 10,000 Maniacs?

Enjoy!

T
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 990
    Emlyn wrote: »

Enjoy!

Yup....
    Exactly why our frosty induced stupor had us scratching our heads 🤣
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Frank Zappa, then everything else.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Alphabetical by genre. I sort individuals by last name, but bands by the first word in the band name. Artists with multiple albums are organized by year of release from oldest to newest. SACD has its own place as well (though it’s a very small place).

.38 Special is before 10,000 Maniacs and they are both before the A’s.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    For band names which start with numbers, I treat those like they were spelled out. So 10000 Maniacs would come before 38 Special. Throw out bands starting with 'a', 'the' and treat them with the first "real" word in the band name. Separating by genre. That's physical media only. If ripping it all to FLAC, most software will have an ungodly amount of genres to choose from. Then I just categorize it by " stuff I like" and "junk my wife listens to".
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited April 2023
    I enter all in Discogs and that is the order of the physical media. Then I can use Discogs to find something if I am having trouble.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables