LSiM Speaker Cabinet Scratches

I bought more LSiMs to complete two sets in both cherry and dark mahogany. The fellow I bought Mahogany 703s from wasn’t as careful as I would have liked and there are a few light scratches on the top of one speaker. Have to look closely to notice them, but they are there.

I searched threads for comments on addressing cabinet scratches and found this comment from F1nut (this was 7 or 8 years ago):

“The only thing a furniture polish can do with scratches is to help hide them a bit until the polish dries out. It's not an answer. The answer is not an easy one as the sheen is basically flat, so any attempts at rubbing/buffing out the scratches will raise the sheen. There are clear touch up sprays available that you spray over the exsiting finish that will cover the scratches. If you want to get into that I can tell you more.”

Spoken like someone who has been there. Polishing certainly alters the finish toward glossy. Fine for piano black, but not the LSiM.

These blemishes aren’t enough to do a full refinish. Interested in the cover product F1nut referenced (or an alternative if someone has a recommendation).

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Mohawk M102-0485 dead flat/3-5 sheen
    Mohawk M102-0421 flat/10-15 sheen

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Daveark2
    Daveark2 Posts: 3
    Thanks much Cap’n.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Be sure to tape off/cover up areas that you don't want the over spray to contact. Since you don't know if the previous owner applied any furniture products that contained silicone such as Pledge (nasty crap) you should really clean the surfaces with a wax/silicone remover. However, the good stuff isn't cheap. If you decide to brave it apply the first coat of touch up lacquer as basically a misting. If you see what looks like an orange peel or what is more commonly called fish eyes, stop!

If that happens get back to me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Daveark2
    Daveark2 Posts: 3
    Will do. Good counsel.