Freedom Boat club

Options
Willow
Willow Posts: 10,871
Anyone part of this club or know someone who is? Is it worth it? Is it equivalent to timeshare but for boats? I have my boating license but don't want to own and store a boat during winter but I'd like to take the family out.

Comments

• CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    Options
    We have some friends who are part of a boat club, I think it is this one. Went out on the boat with them once, it was nice and the boat was clean, in good working order, good experience with their staff, etc. Our friends have been members for several years now so they seem to enjoy it. Have not heard any complaints from them. Not sure what it costs.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    I had looked at it before buying our boat but the cost in my area turned us off. Made more sense for us to just buy as the monthly payment at the club was going to be as much as our boat payment

Boat clubs are definitely the right option for someone that wants to use a boat regularly but don’t want the responsibility of owning a boat though. Seems like a good deal for someone who doesn’t want to hassle and maintenance and wants the ability to get out at anytime
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,259
    Options
    Willow, just curious, but you menyioned "I have my boating license".: What is a boating license ? Is that a requirement up North ? 🤔❓
    Sal Palooza
  • stangman67
    Options
    A lot of states require a license. Virginia certainly does even though I “drive” warships for a job lol

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    It's not a license, it's a boating safety education card that one obtains after taking the course. In my state if you were born after July 1st 1972 you are required to have one in order to operate any boat with a motor. Unfortunately, from my experiences on the water it does little good.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Problem is people forget that boats don't have breaks, no wake zone is the same as a school zone, and the bigger vessel has right of way
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,589
    Options
    Sounds about like a motorcycle endorsement on a driver's license. Just because you have one doesn't mean you can ride.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    What does that cost? Does the boat come with an operator? Or do you pick it up somewhere like a U-Haul truck? Curious because I have a boat and my buddies are always calling me to go fishing with them only they want to take MY boat because it's nice. Maybe I should start charging them.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    Options
    Here it's a one time fee of $34.95.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    That's cheap! I'd say go for it!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    Options
    The price I quoted is for the safety course.

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    What does that cost? Does the boat come with an operator? Or do you pick it up somewhere like a U-Haul truck? Curious because I have a boat and my buddies are always calling me to go fishing with them only they want to take MY boat because it's nice. Maybe I should start charging them.

There’s a one time fee of anywhere between 1k and 10k depending on location and then 100-400 a month depending on location. Boat does not come with an operator and the boats are already on the water. No towing or anything necessary. Lots of locations across the US

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    The franchise near me is $6400 buy in with $425 a month. Like most arrangements like these they tend to want to market to someone rather than just saying online what their costs are. For someone who likes going out on a river several times a year with friends it seems cost effective. I would ask questions about their local history of availability. Nothing more annoying to me than paying an expensive membership for something only to find out a service isn't easily available at peak times. They do offer instruction so their boats don't get destroyed. Useful info here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdMBASnWABY