SDA Family Photo

dpowell
dpowell Posts: 3,050
I have someone coming to look at the 2.3TLs next week and figured I would get some family photos before they potentially go to a new home. I bought both pairs from @nooshinjohn over the years. It's hard to see these go but they deserve more play time than I am able to give them. Had a lot of fun today listening to them again. Such a fantastic sound!

bcovg02y6y9z.jpg
38tps0dsx0fb.jpg
____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I like that wood wall.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I like that wood wall.

I love it!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    I like that wood wall.

I love it!
    heard that about you.
    I disabled signatures.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Do you prefer the 2.3's sitting down, and the 1.2's while standing? Just curious. Nice collection.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • dpowell
    edited March 2023
    That is a very good question. They definitely have differences in terms of the height of the sound stage, however both sound great from the sitting position. The 1.2's height is quite noticeable in movie mode since L/R audio is at screen height. Both have a fantastic wide SDA effect with both being able to easily extend the 3 and 4 feet on each side they are given for an overall soundstage width of 20 feet. Room size and configuration has a huge impact on their dynamics as well. My theater room is 23' wide and approx 34' deep. The 1.2s have almost limitless potential to be opened up and pressurize the space. There are times I feel like the 2.3s offer a bit more detailed, closeup, personal listening experience at moderate volumes (one of the reasons part of me wants to keep them). That could be due to the driver arrays on the 2.3s being positioned lower than on the 1.2s. My brother who isnt an audio junkie like me describes the 1.2s as like being front row at a concert.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    My brother who isnt an audio junkie like me describes the 1.2s as like being front row at a concert.
    I describe it as being in the orchestra pit.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    I like that wood wall.

Did it give you wood?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dpowell
    F1nut wrote: »
    My brother who isnt an audio junkie like me describes the 1.2s as like being front row at a concert.

Yeah, like the band/orchestra is playing a personal concert for you.
  • F1nut
    dpowell wrote: »

What I was trying to convey is it sounds like the music is playing over one's head.

President of Club Polk

• dpowell
    edited March 2023

What I was trying to convey is it sounds like the music is playing over one's head.

Got it. So is that a good thing or do you find the 2.3's feel like the music is directed more at the listener?
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Year before last I got to hear/audition a set of 1.2's (sl3000 tweets) and thought they sounded pretty nice until I sat down. The seller was shorter than I, and I thought that's why he was giving them up for some B&W's.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • dpowell
    That's interesting. I hadnt thought much about listening to them while standing in the sweet spot. I'm going to give that a try.
  • F1nut

Got it. So is that a good thing or do you find the 2.3's feel like the music is directed more at the listener?

The 2.3TL presentation is like sitting in a row more even with the performance. Depending on the venue, row 5 to 10. I prefer that to the orchestra pit presentation.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I like that wood wall.

Did it give you wood?

No, it gave me a splinter.
  • dpowell

The 2.3TL presentation is like sitting in a row more even with the performance. Depending on the venue, row 5 to 10. I prefer that to the orchestra pit presentation.

Thanks Jesse, I honestly think that may be why I feel the 2.3's present a bit more like an intimate setting when I listen to them.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I recently sold my 2.3TL's. I hated to see them go, but in our new place they were just not going to be a good fit. I believe they went to a good home and I can live with that :)