Happy 50th Birthday DSOTM..

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
edited March 2023 in The Clubhouse
Crazy to think it's been 50 years ago..

Probably 50 different variants as well.. LOL!!

yohwv42l6ihy.png

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    I've not seen it on SACD yet. Have you?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I've had it on multichannel/stereo SACD for at least the last 20 years. Somehow ended up with both EMI and Capitol versions of the 2003 release. Also have the Blu Ray Audio versions in 96/24 from the 2011 box set in multichannel, original stereo, quad mix, etc. This is the most recent SACD I think...

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/133317/Pink_Floyd-The_Dark_Side_Of_The_Moon-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD

50th Anniversary vinyl box set coming later this month for a hefty fee...

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Anniversary-Deluxe-Remaster/dp/B0BS1VVXT1/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PQXZRRCIXW6X&keywords=dark+side+of+the+moon&qid=1677671842&sprefix=dark+side+of+the+moon,aps,80&sr=8-1
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options
    I own 2 different SACD variants..
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    I probably have 6 or 7 different versions of this album. Just spun it with the wife last night. Not the whole album, which is the way I normally listen to it but when the wife wants to listen? I do what she says, as I get waaaay more listening position time than she does.

It seems as of late, she is coming home to listen to songs on the rig that she has heard throughout the day. For some reason, that sounds vaguely familiar...lol

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I own 2 different SACD variants..
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I've had it on multichannel/stereo SACD for at least the last 20 years. Somehow ended up with both EMI and Capitol versions of the 2003 release. Also have the Blu Ray Audio versions in 96/24 from the 2011 box set in multichannel, original stereo, quad mix, etc. This is the most recent SACD I think...

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/133317/Pink_Floyd-The_Dark_Side_Of_The_Moon-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD

50th Anniversary vinyl box set coming later this month for a hefty fee...

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Anniversary-Deluxe-Remaster/dp/B0BS1VVXT1/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PQXZRRCIXW6X&keywords=dark+side+of+the+moon&qid=1677671842&sprefix=dark+side+of+the+moon,aps,80&sr=8-1

One of the first SACD's I bought way back in the day at Wal-Mart of all places for $8.99.
    Back when you could by SACD and DVD-Audio at Best Buy as well.
    I just know how they like to repackage everything 7 different ways for "milestone" anniversaries, which I hadn't seen for the 50th in SACD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    As long as there are teenagers and marijuana, Dark Side of the Moon will be popular. B)

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    Roger Waters has rerecorded Pink Floyd classic The Dark Side of the Moon: “Let’s get rid of all this ‘we’ crap! It’s my project”

By Jonathan Horsley published 9 February 2023

Having reportedly cut his former Pink Floyd bandmates out of the album without their knowledge, Waters has reworked Dark Side and recorded spoken word over the album’s instrumentals

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/roger-waters-rerecords-pink-floyd-the-dark-side-of-the-moon

LOL

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited March 2023
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I just know how they like to repackage everything 7 different ways for "milestone" anniversaries, which I hadn't seen for the 50th in SACD.

That $300 box set has a Dolby Atmos version on Blu Ray in it. I haven't seen yet that the Blu Ray is being sold separately. No SACD but I guess it's possible they'll produce one since Animals got that treatment and it looks like those are hard to find now.

Edit: Looks like CD Japan has an SACD version they'll be selling in April this year.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    I'll always remember this as one of my first albums on headset. Listened to it al the way and then replayed it while I was writing a program in Fortran for school. Teacher gave me an "A". Damn, was that 50 years ago!!??
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Germany just canceled a bunch of stuff for Roger Waters due to his anti-semitism views and speeches.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited March 2023
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Germany just canceled a bunch of stuff for Roger Waters due to his anti-semitism views and speeches.

Interesting 🤔

Germany of all places.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Second CD I ever bought back in the day. The first was a Hendrix which Columbia House accidentally sent me. I had ordered the cassette. Was like, damn, now I need to buy a CD player!
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    Lost count of how many versions I actually have. The MFSL is my Go To copy and the disc I ripped for my NAS. The 2016 vinyl remaster by Bernie Grundman is pretty good. I ripped that in 96/24 flac to reside on the NAS too. I have at least 4 or 5 other versions also. Enough copies of DSotM to rebuild the Star Wars Empire.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Now, if they would record Adele like they did this album?

Oh, dang.

I'd have just as many copies. But, I digress.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Keiko
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Now, if they would record Adele like they did this album?

Oh, dang.

I'd have just as many copies. But, I digress.

Tom

Yeah, this one's a pass for me. I don't need or want anymore copies of DSotM. Be nice if we could get a SACD version of The Wall or better yet, a remix like they did with Animals. This, IMO is just another money grab from the record companies. Give us something that we don't have. Something different, something new!

I've heard similar reviews from others as well and something about the blu-ray being the same mix/master as the SACD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjXNY36erB8
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Be nice if we could get a SACD version of The Wall or better yet, a remix like they did with Animals.
    I'm all in on that Mike!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    I actually need a good vinyl copy of DSOTM. And Wish You Were Here. If anyone has one they are willing to part with, let me know
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Roger Waters The Wall is on SACD. I have it. While not the original it's not bad.
    https://www.discogs.com/release/3215073-Roger-Waters-The-Wall-Live-In-Berlin
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Keiko
    edited March 2023
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I actually need a good vinyl copy of DSOTM. And Wish You Were Here. If anyone has one they are willing to part with, let me know

Go with the 2016 Bernie Grundman remasters. They're quite good.

And I highly suggest that if you're going to buy them, do it now before the prices go up. And the prices for records is going up.

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon-Pink-Floyd/dp/B01LTHN0DG

https://www.amazon.com/Wish-Were-Here-Pink-Floyd/dp/B01LTHMF1Y
  • Keiko
    edited March 2023
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Roger Waters The Wall is on SACD. I have it. While not the original it's not bad.
    https://www.discogs.com/release/3215073-Roger-Waters-The-Wall-Live-In-Berlin

I have that on CD and DVD. It was a good show with all the different artists. I'd still like to get a SACD of the original studio album. I have the 2011 vinyl reissue and also the MFSL CDs plus a few other CD versions.

Man, I was just looking at the 2018 Animals remix. Just the vinyl now is 64.00 bucks on amazon. I don't see any of the box sets anywhere. I paid 56.00 for my box set on a preorder. Glad i did. I have a hunch this one's gonna go way up when it's OOP.

I bought this when it first came out for 99.00 bucks. Look what it sells for now.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2469968?ev=rb

My Echoes box is even worth a couple Benjamins now. B)
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I'd rather have the original The Wall or faithful remastering of the original on SACD.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    I recently got the Roger Water Amused to Death AP 4LP version. Been waiting on it for a couple of years. It sounds fabulous.

Many of you might remember that DB record seller I got into it with a couple of years ago. This was the source of our contention.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    Options
    That explains this:

2k7aikrijbsi.png
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Saw Pink Floyd perform DSOTM in 1972, six months before the official release in Mar.'73. I still have the LP in rotation 50 years later ;)