Cambridge Azur-851N streamer

Options
stangman67
stangman67 Posts: 2,196
edited March 2023 in 2 Channel Audio
Polkies,

Selling my mint 851N in black. Great streamer that has a very good reputation. No issues mechanically or cosmetically, I take very good care of my equipment. Have been very happy with the functionality and sound quality of this streamer, but you know how it works, always chasing that last little bit so I’m making a bit of a jump

I have all the original accessories and packaging.

Would like to get 750 plus shipping (friends and family) for this.

7oq3shrojsbg.jpeg
emf9m2r0opym.jpeg
2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
Post edited by SeleniumFalcon on

Comments

• stangman67
    Options
    Super Bowl special (probably because I’ve had a few beers). 700+ ship before I put it on the gon

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,987
    Options
    Great deal on a great streamer! GLWS!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • stangman67
    Options
    bumpity

• stangman67
    Options
    Would possibly consider a trade for an IPad Pro 🤷‍♂️

• Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Options
    Great streamer and great price.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Price drop 600 + ship (friends and family preferred). Won’t go lower than this but hoping this will spark someone to buy. Ridiculously nice piece for the price

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options
  • stangman67
    Options
    Replied!

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Put me next in line Zach!

How have you been?
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I saw this after returning home from a concert last night. By then, I had decided to go another direction, but WOW, it was tough to resist the temptation to PM you right then. Congrats to the buyer and seller.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Sold, thanks for the interest all!

• motorstereo
    Options
    Thanks Zach and looking forward to my very first streamer.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Amazing opportunity on a very decent streamer ! Congrats
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • motorstereo
    Options
    The 851n just arrived on my doorstep safe and sound from it's journey half a continent away. I got lucky as it looks like UPS handled it very carefully. I appreciate the great packing job Zach and thank you kindly for a super easy transaction.
    Now to get my feet wet in the world of streaming.
  • stangman67
    Options
    @motorstereo got it up and running yet?!

• motorstereo
    Options
    Oh yeah; On my 2nd day of listening and could not be happier. For lack of a better description it's like an M80 was placed in the soundstage and blew it up. It got wider, deeper, and more detailed with no listener fatigue. No doubt this is best upgrade I've had in several years.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Man that makes my day! Glad to hear it’s working out for you

• ambiophonics
    Options
    Awesome looking unit and price! I regret not seeing it sooner.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • motorstereo
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I'm still smitten and amazed with this streamer. For the first since I left home as a young lad many decades ago I do not have a tuner in my main rig. My Mcintosh MR80 tuner got unceremoniously removed from my rack shortly after the CA arrived. I've also decided my tuners will all be getting sold off. Even the outdoor antenna will be coming down as fm no longer has a spot here. My tt is also hanging on by a thread skinnier than it's cantilever. Lastly I've been listening to my entire cd collection all over again. The soundstage expansion and increased clarity are amazing and showing just what the 1.2tls are capable of. I honestly don't remember any electronics upgrade ever having this much positive impact.
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    Sounds like I'm in the market for a used 851N!
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • rooftop59
    Options
    I'm still smitten and amazed with this streamer. For the first since I left home as a young lad many decades ago I do not have a tuner in my main rig. My Mcintosh MR80 tuner got unceremoniously removed from my rack shortly after the CA arrived. I've also decided my tuners will all be getting sold off. Even the outdoor antenna will be coming down as fm no longer has a spot here. My tt is also hanging on by a thread skinnier than it's cantilever. Lastly I've been listening to my entire cd collection all over again. The soundstage expansion and increased clarity are amazing and showing just what the 1.2tls are capable of. I honestly don't remember any electronics upgrade ever having this much positive impact.

Are you streaming your CDs from a local hard drive or are you just using the 851N's DAC? Either way, I agree it's a great piece of kit! There are - of course - better streamers out there, but you would have to pay at least 3 times what you did even on the used market to get there. Congrats!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • motorstereo
    edited March 2023
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Are you streaming your CDs from a local hard drive or are you just using the 851N's DAC? Either way, I agree it's a great piece of kit! There are - of course - better streamers out there, but you would have to pay at least 3 times what you did even on the used market to get there. Congrats!

Thanks; presently I'm using the 851 just as a dac for my cd player (emotiva erc3). I'm using an aes/ebu balanced output now as opposed to the rca digital output I was using on my old dac. I can't help but wonder if the cabling change is part of the improvement I'm hearing or is the dac in the 851 just that much superior to my old Mcintosh d100 dac? Cd's have never sounded this good here ever and I'm still amazed every time I turn it on.

For the past 3 days I've been digging a trench and laying cat 5e cable inside galvanized piping for internet in my listening building. Saturday I'm in hopes of directly connecting the 851 to the internet and finally start streaming either tidal or spotify. From the little I've heard on my spotty wi-fi connection I'm in for a treat there as well. Some quick direct comparisons to the audioengine b1 bt streamer I was using my ears tell me it's a night and day difference. Yes I agree it is quite a piece of kit and then some.

Yes I also can't help but wonder now how much better can it get?
  • smartie_panta
    Options
    ...in my listening building....

Nice.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,167
    edited March 2023
    Options

Thanks; presently I'm using the 851 just as a dac for my cd player (emotiva erc3). I'm using an aes/ebu balanced output now as opposed to the rca digital output I was using on my old dac. I can't help but wonder if the cabling change is part of the improvement I'm hearing or is the dac in the 851 just that much superior to my old Mcintosh d100 dac? Cd's have never sounded this good here ever and I'm still amazed every time I turn it on.

For the past 3 days I've been digging a trench and laying cat 5e cable inside galvanized piping for internet in my listening building. Saturday I'm in hopes of directly connecting the 851 to the internet and finally start streaming either tidal or spotify. From the little I've heard on my spotty wi-fi connection I'm in for a treat there as well. Some quick direct comparisons to the audioengine b1 bt streamer I was using my ears tell me it's a night and day difference. Yes I agree it is quite a piece of kit and then some.

Yes I also can't help but wonder now how much better can it get?

It’s that wondering that pushed me into parting with my 851N and after auditioning close to a dozen quality streamers ranging between $3500-$12k! Man that was a lot of back and forth and credit card charging and refunding that went along with the process! I ended up going with the one that sounded the best to my ears and it was priced right in the middle! The 851N while is still entry level , I’d say it’s about the top end in that category! I’d say enjoy it and when that wondering grows strong enough, you’ll find members here that will help guide you! I can honestly say the 851N was my favorite of my entry level streamers and it’s easy to use ! Congrats!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • motorstereo
    Options
    Wow; being brand new to the world of streaming I had no idea the really nice ones are that much $. Thankfully I'm super happy with the 851 and more than likely won't ever own a pricey streamer. One of the main reasons is just yesterday I gave the owner of the place I work at a 6 week notice as I'll be retiring April 28th.
    Sadly a $5-6G streamer just isn't and probably won't be in the budget........unless of course I continue working :D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,391
    Options
    <snip> just yesterday I gave the owner of the place I work at a 6 week notice as I'll be retiring April 28th.

Congratulations!

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • rooftop59
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    <snip> just yesterday I gave the owner of the place I work at a 6 week notice as I'll be retiring April 28th.

Congratulations!

Tom

Yes, congrats sir! That must be a great feeling! (and one that I can only ponder for a long long time lol…)
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    The DAC in the 851 is quite good
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,167
    Options
    [quote="just yesterday I gave the owner of the place I work at a 6 week notice as I'll be retiring April 28th.
    D [/quote]

Yes congratulations, and only shared what I said is you stated of wondering how muck better can it get!! No matter how much money you throw into this hobby (for some) there’s always going to be something better! The 851N is respectable! In a couple more years, the prices on all of these better units will drop significantly, making it quite possible to make a change if that’s if you are still wondering!
    Again , Congratulations!

THJ
  • motorstereo
    edited March 2023
    Options

Congratulations!

Tom

Congratulations!

Tom

Yes, congrats sir! That must be a great feeling! (and one that I can only ponder for a long long time lol…)

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Surprisingly I'm not all that thrilled about retiring. I've only been on this job for 9 months and I really like it a lot. Great people to work with and the owner really doesn't expect too much from us; just put in the effort of an honest day's work. This comes on the heels of spending 19 lousy years hating every single second of every single day despising my job and the owners. Ahh the indignities one has to suffer for a nice paycheck. But that's in the past now and time to use the motorcycle, boats and the new camper once the weather breaks.