Polk Monitor 75T question

Options
Hello all, new to the forum and hoping for some guidance. I have two Polk Monitor 75T towers that I bought back in 2013, but hadn't used for about two years. Yesterday I connected them to my receiver and only the tweeter was working on both. I took out a speaker out of each tower and directly connected them to the receiver and they worked fine. Checked all connections, placed them back but only the tweeter works when I connect to the tower. I am thinking it's probably something with the crossovers. Any other tests you would recommend? Is it possible te replace the entire crossover board and are they sold somewhere? I don't know how to solder but willing to learn.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Are your jumper plates installed?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• aps2020
    aps2020 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi F1, I bought these new and no one has messed with them, so yes everything is intact and in place.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Famous last words....lol

Post a picture of the binding post plate area please.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• aps2020
    Options
    Lol...here you go.

mxngc8diekfh.jpg
  • F1nut
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Ok, jumpers are there. Did you remove the binding post nuts from the top posts for the picture?

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Ok then, I take it you are connecting your speaker cables to the top posts. Try connecting them to the bottom posts and make sure all the binding post nuts are screwed down tight.

Are you using banana plugs, spades or raw cable ends?

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Where did he go?

President of Club Polk

• aps2020
    Options
    Sorry F1, got delayed at work. So on the bottom post I get no sound from the tweeter, sound from speakers 1 and 2, but no sound from 3 and 4. With 4 being the ones I tested before and worked when connected to the receiver. Same behavior on both towers.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Ok, the jumper plates are not making a connection. If you are using unterminated speaker cable it's not allowing the binding post nuts to clamp down tight enough. Get some banana plugs or strip off some insulation a bit further in from the end, then run the speaker cable through both binding posts.

President of Club Polk

• james310
    james310 Posts: 2
    Options
    I wish this forum was around when I was younger a lot younger lol! I could have saved a lot of cash !!!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    james310 wrote: »
    I wish this forum was around when I was younger a lot younger lol! I could have saved a lot of cash !!!

Or you could have spent twice as much!