PrimaLuna DiaLogue Tube Power Amplifier w/ Lsi15s

Options
Hi Folks,

I was thinking of going the tube route for a main amplifier. Currently I have a SS amp powering two Lsi15s (music/HT). I was hoping to see if anyone had any experience with the PrimaLuna line. I see that they are rated for 4ohm but not sure if they would have enough wattage to power the Lsi15s properly.

TIA

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,460
    Options
    I heard a PL with some Martin Logans. It was sublime! I was actually considering (someday) picking up a pair of their Prologue mono's. https://www.primaluna-usa.com/prologue-premium-mono-power-amplifier

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,126
    Options
    I have some comparable Monoblocks I am selling from ank at similar power ratings. 40 watts on the EL34 would definitely power the lsi15
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I heard a PL with some Martin Logans. It was sublime! I was actually considering (someday) picking up a pair of their Prologue mono's. https://www.primaluna-usa.com/prologue-premium-mono-power-amplifier

Didn’t like my Primaluna Prologue Five driving my Martin Logan Electromotion ESLs. 😬

I don’t consider them to be very hard to drive either. B&K ST125.2 drives them with ease, only gets mildly warm.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    acmf74 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I was thinking of going the tube route for a main amplifier. Currently I have a SS amp powering two Lsi15s (music/HT). I was hoping to see if anyone had any experience with the PrimaLuna line. I see that they are rated for 4ohm but not sure if they would have enough wattage to power the Lsi15s properly.

TIA

IMO/IME, PrimaLuna amplifiers sound best when driven by their matching tube preamps (or other similar quality tube preamps), rather than solid-state in front for source and preamp.

Years ago, I purchased the Primaluna Prologue Five with the same idea in mind; but in retrospect, I would have rather started with a good tube preamp driving a decent solid-state amp to get that bit of warmth/sweetness/humanity.

Then adding a tube amp afterwards increases palpability/warmth/juiciness/texture/soundstage. The combo of tube pre/tube amp expands everything and some people like it; others feel it can be too much of a good thing; and others still, like it as an alternative, but maybe not day in / day out.

I would recommend going for a tube pre with HT bypass if you want some tube flavor; PrimaLuna would be a great option for this still.

Don’t know your amp, but as long as it is rated to drive 4 ohms, that is a better fit for LSi15, IMO, since they are current hungry speakers.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    @acmf74 - I would add that while a tube amp may power your speakers, you will want to be mindful of the impedance variations of your speakers.

Impedance matters when talking tube amplification and speaker matching!

If the impedance of your speakers rises in the upper mids/highs, this will result in a forward (potentially bright) sound, which is usually opposite of the reason that people get into tubes.

Good luck.

• acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

Currently I have a Mark Levisnon No27 amp for the front two speakers (Lsi15) and a Rogue Perseus Magnum preamp.

Some of Rogue amps/Mono blocks piqued my interest too.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,460
    Options
    I haven't heard that amp but it may not be a step up. Probably more of a change in flavor.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    acmf74 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.

Currently I have a Mark Levisnon No27 amp for the front two speakers (Lsi15) and a Rogue Perseus Magnum preamp.

Some of Rogue amps/Mono blocks piqued my interest too.

Good to know.

Even though you have a tube pre, I would still lean toward solid-state amplification on the LSi15s; however, if you do introduce a tube amp, I would keep things in the Rogue family, rather than PrimaLuna.