Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekend Floorstanding

Options
Irrenhaus
Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
Hi,

Anyone have any experince with this ones. There is a pair on The Music Room for not a bad price. I have always been interested on Zu speakers.

They come up local from time to time for sale but at a higher price and not so great colors.

I did have a pair of Fostex single driver on a transmission line floorstanding and they sounded great.

Cheers
HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,586
    Options
    @Faustin I believe did at one time
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I’ve never heard those specific ones, but I will say that I see a lot of people buy them, and not a lot of people keep them.

Take that info for what it’s worth.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    Options
    They have a reputation for a rough 'n' tumble, very aggressive presentation. My impression of that impression is Heritage Klipsch on steroids.
    Some people like that kind of thing.

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    I did have a pair of Dirty Weekend's. They paired well with 300b monoblocks. Very revealing speakers. Bad recordings sound, well bad. I liked the clarity of the sound. Vocals are incredible. If you are into bass heavy speakers, the DW'S are not for you. Sold them a year or so ago and moved up to the Zu Soul Supreme's. Ordered them right before Zu shifted gears and redesigned their line because of supply challenges and prices going up. The Soul Supreme's are much more refined than the DW's. I don't foresee these leaving here any time soon.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Irrenhaus wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone have any experince with this ones. There is a pair on The Music Room for not a bad price. I have always been interested on Zu speakers.

They come up local from time to time for sale but at a higher price and not so great colors.

I did have a pair of Fostex single driver on a transmission line floorstanding and they sounded great.

Cheers

Heard them at a show, couldn't get out of the room fast enough.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    Options
    I have a pair in my house and I agree with @Faustin. I like them a lot and have used quite a few amplifier/preamp pairings and find that they do well with most anything. I was initially concerned that the unusual impedance (12 ohm) would cause problems, but that has not been the case in my experience.

Of note, the pictures shows the spikes and 5 ohm snubber resistors (to drop the nominal load to 3.7 ohm). The small threaded pieces that are also shown are part of the rubber footer set up, but the actual footer part?
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    Options
    The high-ish impedance will make them an easier load for any amplifer.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    I did try the "resistor snubber" on the DW's and that lasted for about 2 minutes. As mhardy stated the 12 ohm impedance is not a problem. With my Soul Supreme's at 16 ohms I did rewire my Bottlehead Paramount monoblocks to 16 ohms, just because I could. Pretty easy solder job.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    Hello,

Hi everyone thanks for your input. I will pass on them, no way to audition and I do like bass on my speakers.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,924
    Options
    IMO, ZU Audio speakers are good party speakers not critical listening speakers. YMMV..