RIP Jasper

Options
SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
edited February 2023 in The Clubhouse
We had to put Jasper down today. He was 16.5 years old. Squamous cell carcinoma, cancer under the tongue. It came on fairly quickly and was just too bad to attempt removal and treatment. It got to the point he could not swallow food. He also had some renal problems so had to make the tough call.

We got him at age two from a Pet Adopt Center. The wife always wanted a cat, I didn't. I attended a Polk fest, stayed with Carl and met his cat. We went to Carls's friend Dan's in Annapolis, and I met his cat. Told the wife wow, these cats are pretty cool. When I returned home, wife said hope you have some cash cause we're getting a cat like right now.

Jasper and his sister were dropped off and all they could tell us was they were from Texas. We were told he was a Bengal, but he kept growing. We think he was part bobcat. He had large teeth and claws and serious attitude.

He adored the wife. He helped see her through two bouts of breast cancer, was always at her side. I was mostly his play buddy, but he was also affectionate towards me. He was not a hide under the bed cat. He always wanted to know who was in his domain.

If he liked you, you knew it. He would curl up by your side and listen to music. Hand to god, he went after a pushy salesman that pulled the door out of the wife's hands, jaws and claws while howling like a banshee.

His favorite place was on top of the Krell amp, when it was on. Or by the fireplace. He followed us around, got involved, sometimes stopping our projects to be center of attention.

This one hurts, going to miss him.

bt1mxqsc4urs.jpg
pncpqv5okx8l.jpg
h1azc0vg7yz8.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Beautiful cat. May he Rip. 14.5 years is a good long time and he had a great life it seems!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    Options
    VERY sorry for your loss! Our last cat, Nismo, made it to 22. We still think that we see her around the house.
  • mikejedi0619
    Options
    Sorry to hear :( about the fur baby. Great cat ! We adore our cat JJ , we lost her buddy Lucky the dog whom we had from 2010-2020 , it still hurts .. but my Wife said she is ready for us to get a new dog soon …
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story, and you have shared Jasper with us several times and we feel he was a Polkie himself.
    Condolences and may jasper rest in peace and in your hearts and minds :'(<3
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    That sucks. Sorry for your loss.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. RIP Jasper, you had a good life. Was he aware of his portrait on the wall?
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Was he aware of his portrait on the wall?

Thx for the kind words!

Oh yes, he would stand on the amp and rub his front paws on it. It's a GIK acoustic art panel.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Man, that sucks.

We had to put Eddie to rest around this time last year. He was in renal failure at 17.5 years which is WAY beyond the expiration date for a male cat.

I'll pour one out for Jasper, maybe he'll hook up with Eddie 'cause Eddie liked the tunes on the He-Man rig and movies on the HT too.

p090wcyf628l.jpg
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    Oh man! I so sorry to hear this Rich. Please accept my sincerest condolences and please pass that along to your wife. Jasper was one of the most bad a$& coolest cats I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

:'(:'(:'(

R.I.P. Jasper
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.......
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a loved one is always hard.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    Condolences Rich. I know how fond of Jasper you are. :'(
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,052
    Options
    So sorry to hear this.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Condolences Rich and to Dana also. I know how much a part of the family Jasper was. Loosing a pet is like loosing family. I know he was your "buddy". My thoughts are with you. :'(

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Very sorry to hear, Rich. Always enjoyed the photos and little stories. I don't even like cats, but I liked Jasper. Curious, attitude, and no apologies.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    So sorry for your loss (as well as Eddie, @Jstas ). What a handsome cat (I just called my wife in to look at his photos). You can see the Bengal in him. There's nothing quite like the companionship of a big male cat. We've had multiple shelter-adopted cats that died from cancer and when each one went it about killed us as well. I've written this on the forum before, but it's a real shame that their life spans (our animal family members) aren't as long as ours.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • Libertyc
    Libertyc Posts: 914
    Options
    Sorry to hear Rich. RIP Jasper.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    I think I could call Jasper a friend. More personality than some people I know.

It's a big hole, Rich. I hope that you and Dana are buoyed by many happy memories.

Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,002
    Options
    So sorry for your loss... it's always tough losing a pet. Your fond memories will be very comforting. RIP Jasper
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    Sorry for your loss🙏
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    Options
    :'( Wow!! I think most of us can agree that we have enjoyed/loved your cat vicariously through your pictures.

Sorry for your loss, I know this is a tough one..
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    My condolences on your loss. RIP Jasper :'(
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    Rich, I am so sad to hear this. May he RIP with all of our other pets that have gone.

I always loved looking at your pictures of Jasper. I like those picture of him on the family hands in this thread; they like to touch us.

Cats are special. I lost my best friend Teddy "Bigboy" a black tuxedo cat about 1-1/2 years ago, and I have not fully gotten over it yet. He was 15 years old, and I know how you feel.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,880
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. RIP Jasper
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    I'm very sorry for your loss, Rich. I'm sure he was a great friend.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    Sorry to hear this, I know what you mean about being converted to a cat person f sorts. 2 strays came into our life about 8 years ago...Jack and Jill. Jack has become my buddy, follows me all over the place and even goes for long walks with the dogs through the woods. We have a recliner in the tv room that is usually my seat at night and he usually hops up into my lap, rubs hos forehead on my chin and then curls up on my lap for awhile.
    I never thought I would become attached to a feline, but he has me wrapped around his paw. Hope the good memories stay with you forever.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    R.I.P. Very sorry to hear about Jasper, sounds like he was a great cat.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    Sorry for your loss, may he rest in peace.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)