Speaker wire terminations.

Options
The surrounds I am hooking up won’t work with the bananas I normally use (or even flex pin connectors) due to how close they are to the wall.

I feel like someone here posted about some method they used INSTEAD of just bare wire or tinning the ends (I don’t have a soldering iron so can’t tin them).

IIRC it was some kind of crimp they placed over the wire and then screwed the terminals into that.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Pins would work in that fashion
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    edited February 2023
    Options
    crimp tube.

https://www.homelectrical.com/insulated-ferrule-sleeve-055-6-mm-10-awg-yellow.wag-216208.1.html?

I'm have trouble finding the place I bought my gold plated crimp tubes from, ATM this is all I can find.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Thanks @pitdogg2! What size do you think I need for 12-14 gauge wire?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Thanks @pitdogg2! What size do you think I need for 12-14 gauge wire?
    ViaBlue Gold Plated Copper Crimp Sleeves
    • Gold Plated 99.99% OFC w/ Black PVC protective collar
    • Adds protection from oxidation on the stripped speaker wire ends
    • Protects fine strands of high end speaker wires from damage when used with speaker connectors with set screws.
    • Black PVC Collar: Provides a cleaner look and protects against shorts.
    • Enables larger AWG conductors to into more speaker connectors: After crimping the diameter is smaller
    • Works well with ViaBlue / WBT Speaker Connectors or others with set screws on the same side
    • Enhances the Aesthetics of a Custom Cable Assembly - Sample Picture with 12-2P 12AWG Cable
    • Sold Per Piece

Crimp Sleeve Copper Tube PVC Collar Length Fits Wires
    ID OD ID OD Copper Overall Max Other
    4mm2 0.109" 0.125" 0.186" 0.217" 0.710" 1.030" 12/1
    6mm2 0.135" 0.155" 0.230" 0.275" 0.710" 1.036" 10/1 14/2
    10mm2 0.175" 0.194" 0.270" 0.325" 0.710" 1.056" 7/1 12/2
    The final crimp dimension will depend on what type of crimp tool you will be using. Fancy tools are NOT required. We used a multipurpose crimper/stripper. These tools do vary in features from MFG to MFG. The feature you will be looking for will something like this tool picture. The goal is to achieve a half moon shape on one side of the crimped sleeve. This will allow you to maintain maximum contact area with the speaker connector. The other side of the crimp is not important as this will be contacted by the set screws in the speaker.

When using the crimp sleeve we recommend stripping off App. 1" of speaker wire insulation. Perform a test fit to make sure you have enough conductor present to fill the speaker connector and then crimp on the copper crimp sleeve. Finally, trim only enough conductor so that the crimp sleeve fits into the connector all the way. This way you have maximum contact area in the connector even if the crimp sleeve is a little short. The crimp sleeve can also be cut after crimping if they are too long.

For 14gauge (4mm tube) I would try to strip 2" of wire and fold then twist together to get interior contact before the crimp. Might be some trial and error involved.

It also states 6mm tube for 14/2 not sure this would fit the binding post hole.