Polk Monitor 10A that I bought mid '70s

citicoron
citicoron Posts: 2
edited February 2023 in Vintage Speakers
I bought my Monitor 10A s either in 1975 or 1976 from a a retailer (HiFi Buys?) in Atlanta, since there were no retailers in Chattanooga that carried Polk. I used them for mixing and mastering all 8 LPs that I released on Pine Breeze Records (1976-1981) and several CDs on my ASP Records label (2000-present). They are still set up in my basement studio for musicians to listen to playbacks of their tracks.

I remember when I called the factory sometime in the early 80s to order a replacement tweeter for one I'd blown, that the rep mentioned that these were made pretty early, maybe in Matthew's basement in Maryland.. (I don't think that was accurate.) One of the serial numbers is 68426, and the other is 68927.

When were these made? Does anyone know who the "inspected by" persons were? Their initials were BS and SA.

Tomorrow, I'm buying a pair of Digital Phase AP-2s and a pair of Digital Phase AP-5s, and a center AP-7. I already have a pair of AP-4s as my main speakers in my living room. (I love those speakers and I'm hoping that the AP-2 and AP-5s will also sound great.)

Some I'm ready to sell my old Polk Monitor 10A s (and I have a pair of newer (c. 1997-2003 or so..) Polk TSi-400 towers I'm wanting to sell as well) --I may have a pair of Monitor 4s stored with one of my sons, too, if they can be found. I bought those at HiFi Buys in Nashville c. 1978..)

The 10As - one has a factory direct replacement tweeter, both speakers have some minor damage on the corners from being moved, one is missing one of the posts that holds the grill on. What would be the fair market value for selling the 10As? (And what should I ask for the TSi-400? - they are in excellent condition).

Thanks for any info and interest.
Ron Williams, Allied Sound Productions, Chattanooga TN; asprecords@epbfi.com , 423-364-0528

48dnlq2e8e53.jpg
xfk1r2xt9fl6.jpg
ijyynox8kmxs.jpg
ssogemypji9m.jpg
30vvl8keqon6.jpg

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited February 2023
    They're definitely 10A, all right, but I thinkthat 10A with that type of grille attachment (as opposed to the "super-Velcro) is newer than 1976.

Fair market value? I'd suggest searching completed eBAY auctions.
    You can't sell them here.

• Thank you. Is there a chart of serial numbers that correlates to date of manufacture?

I hadn't checked to see if this forum allowed sales, so I appreciate the head's up
  • citicoron wrote: »
    Thank you. Is there a chart of serial numbers that correlates to date of manufacture?

I hadn't checked to see if this forum allowed sales, so I appreciate the head's up

If only there were, it would be pretty cool. My 1979 7Bs are 19XXX. Did it start at 0 with the first Model 7 manufactured sometime in 74 or 75 (not sure of date....72 even?)?

If those 10s started at 0, they sure sold a lot more 10s than 7s, which would surprise me.

Anyway, to answer your question's intent, you will probably find a date on the crossover and/or the MW drivers.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • citicoron wrote: »
    Thank you. Is there a chart of serial numbers that correlates to date of manufacture?

If only there were, it would be pretty cool.

Well there's a project you can spearhead.

Start collecting serial numbers of Monitor series speakers from members with speakers of known provenance, and see if there's any rhyme or reason.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    slow_polk7 wrote: »
    citicoron wrote: »

If only there were, it would be pretty cool.

Well there's a project you can spearhead.

Start collecting serial numbers of Monitor series speakers from members with speakers of known provenance, and see if there's any rhyme or reason.

Great idea, should keep him busy for years.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk